Another McLaren 570S

I doubt this one will turn out as nicely as Shaun's, but here goes anyway. I wanted a nice bright colour, and really like Volcano Orange, but also wanted to try out a Kawasaki candy green. I did a few plastic spoon tests with Tamiya spray paints. I know that Gravity Colors make a 2-part orange but postage to Aus is as much as the two bottles of paint, so I wanted to see if I could get the same effect with rattle cans.

First, pics of the body and a comparison with the 917 that is still not finished.

IMG_1692_zpsnrvdwulp.jpg

IMG_1693_zpspxvq8ekm.jpg

And now, the spoons. From left to right - I tried two different base coats under TS73 clear orange: TS84 metallic gold (over TS14 black) and then TS76 mica silver, next TS52 candy lime green, and then clear orange over white primer and with the TS65 pearl clear over that. The green is nice but doesn't "pop" as much as expected. The pearl clear is interesting with its mica chips but they only show under very bright light. Of the two oranges, I like how the particles in the mica silver catch the light, but prefer the "glow" that the gold produces.

IMG_9552_zpsiba8kuef.jpg

Here's another test test with a better coat of gold over the base black and two coats of clear orange. This is the colour I'm going to use. It would look better in our bright Western Australian sunshine but it's dark outside now, so electric light will do.

IMG_9571_zpstmlzfpzh.jpg

I hope to get the 917 finished first, (and ideally the Lotus 88) but enjoyed messing around with the colours.

I really like the test colours. That green is great but would more suit the 720s McLaren imho. I like the orange over gold over black look. Looking forward to see where you take the build. 

Shaun 

• 3 weeks later...

Despite having 3 other cars not yet finished I decided to try and get the paint on the body of the Mac. Just primer so far.

IMG_9766_zpsoetcqji5.jpg

Can't decide on carbon fibre or paint for the roof. I'd better check how much cf decal I have as the one provided with the kit is not correct, it's printed as one piece, when the real car has a join in the middle.

I've also painted the real light lenses with clear red and put some chrome on the back so the stand out a bit when fixed on the black rear panel.

Edited by injidup
  • Like 1

Some painting of the bodywork today. All Tamiya TS sprays.

Gloss black, metallic gold and clear orange.

68AAB03D-FAB9-42D8-A191-AECF86C9F267_zps

D287EAEB-DF6B-428E-9857-B675535F45A3_zps

2E9604FC-EC70-4425-9F8F-783EE41E7029_zps

CC5E16A8-CEC3-4BFA-B9BB-4E6A0778941F_zps

I forgot to do the doors at the same time (sigh) so I hope they come out the same colour. 

I'll do the roof in carbon fibre.  

Edited by injidup
  • Like 2

That gold looks superb. I hope that the doors go as well. I know how difficult it is to get an exact match. I forgot the engine cover on my diablo. That was painted in a complex cocktail of Tamiya colours. So, when I came to paint the cover, it wasn't quite the same colour. It's not very far out, so at a casual glance, you don't notice it.

However, judging by your previous work, you'll nail this one.

I am tempted to get this Mac, as it's a particularly pretty car.

Cheers, Alan.