Can anyone recommend..............

T8247741

Hi ll,

I have the AMK Mig-31 which calls for Traffic Grey by Mr Paint.............can anyone recommend a suitable substitute ? Tamiya, or Mr Hobby/Gunze ?

Cheers

Paul

Thats a catchy name !  What is your last three laddie !!! :lol:....Mine starts with a T but about 14 years before yours!

Edited by bzn20

Hi bzn20.  I think that you should get some time in.  My number did not have a prefix letter and started with a 5 and my last three were 601.  That was when we had an Air Force.  Robin.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bzn20 said:

Thats a catchy name !  What is your last three laddie !!! :lol:....Mine starts with a T but about 14 years before yours!

Mines a T, never did work out what the letter meant.

• Like 1

Never heard the reason either. I did see on our entry FB page a wind up . A way to work it out using the numbers as letters adding, dividing the third by the second added to the last and on and on like that, some even believed it!

I was asked if I wanted a T. A bit confused I said I wasn't bothered. Sgt next to him said Or Coffee ? I thought.. Welcome to RAF humour . He actually got a T from a column in a RAF exercise book. Think it was called a system !

23 hours ago, T8247741 said:

Not as catchy as bzn20.............10 & 101 by any chance ? I did two tours at Brize, one in the COMMCEN/PABX and one on TCW

10 Sqn didn't have ground crews back then so LSS ,Line Servicing Sqn, next to the Terminal was it. I spent 13/14 ish years in Base hangar, and 5 ish years on Role/LSS. I left there in 92, had a few mates on TCW and 244 Sigs. They had the hangar next to us, originally the TCW shed you were in was VC10/Belfast and Britannia Role equipment. Did you end up a Kinloss? I see Forres is mentioned!

Edited by bzn20

12 hours ago, bzn20 said:

10 Sqn didn't have ground crews back then so LSS ,Line Servicing Sqn, next to the Terminal was it. I spent 13/14 ish years in Base hangar, and 5 ish years on Role/LSS. I left there in 92, had a few mates on TCW and 244 Sigs. They had the hangar next to us, originally the TCW shed you were in was VC10/Belfast and Britannia Role equipment. Did you end up a Kinloss? I see Forres is mentioned!

Yeah did 3 tours at Kinloss and decided to stay up here. Brize will always have a special place in my heart as my first tour but I love it up here. Finish work and I'm on the beach with the dog within 10 minutes !! Only downside is model shops are so far away..........

Miss Giles toys, cycles and sports gear in Carterton ? Bet Old man  Giles doesn't miss the VC10s, made a fortune from the RAF, took him 23 seconds to complain about pre flight engine runs !

On 12/05/2017 at 8:06 PM, PLC1966 said:

Mines a T, never did work out what the letter meant.

Heres a thread for you fly boys expaining how you got or did not get a prefix letter with your number.............

http://www.e-goat.co.uk/forums/archive/index.php/t-27192.html

54 minutes ago, rayprit said:

Heres a thread for you fly boys expaining how you got or did not get a prefix letter with your number.............

http://www.e-goat.co.uk/forums/archive/index.php/t-27192.html

I've tried that formula before, it don't work, pretty sure this started as a wind up and its become true!

Oct 29th 1970 RAF Halton..

The way it was worked out on the day, the SNCOs would have had there socks off counting toes to work it all out ! All I remember was my letter came from a  separate column in RAF exercise book. After Attestation......We lined up along a series of desks in 1 Wing Naafi, First Sgt  gave me the first 3 numbers on a strip of paper, second Sgt the last four numbers on a strip of paper, third asked me if I wanted a Tea? Second Sgt "Or Coffee"? ******* Jokers!....3rd looks in the hand written exercise book and gives me another piece of paper with a T on it. We then took this jigsaw to the end where they joined it up. That was it. Nailed to a number for 14 years! Actually its on going, I use my number for all kinds of things !!

OK, if I say that I know the answer to the RAF Service number check character (ie the letter) question, do you promise not to judge?!

The letter is a checksum to ensure that the Service number itself (ie the numbers bit) is valid.  The letter is calculated using a modulus 23 algorithm, which has a number of similar applications for producing identifying numbers eg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_Public_Service_Number#Check_Character

If you wanted to get really dull, you could deduce other bits of information from someone's RAF Service number and the position of their check character. All of this was pre-JPA, which changed everything ...

How do I know? Well, I did time as a SAMA programmer in the early 90s, so don't mock: surely that is suffering enough.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Vultures1 said:

How do I know? Well, I did time as a SAMA programmer in the early 90s, so don't mock: surely that is suffering enough.  

Are you part of a help group ?  My sympathies for both you and your familiy.

16 hours ago, Vultures1 said:

OK, if I say that I know the answer to the RAF Service number check character (ie the letter) question, do you promise not to judge?!

The letter is a checksum to ensure that the Service number itself (ie the numbers bit) is valid.  The letter is calculated using a modulus 23 algorithm, which has a number of similar applications for producing identifying numbers eg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_Public_Service_Number#Check_Character

If you wanted to get really dull, you could deduce other bits of information from someone's RAF Service number and the position of their check character. All of this was pre-JPA, which changed everything ...

I Don't pretend to understand modulus 23 algorithm, not a clue. So I'll take your word for it :idea:

Love to know how that 3rd Sgt dug out a T for me from a column written in Biro. I had 2 bits of paper, one bit with three numbers the other with four. He hadn't seen my strips and up pops T. I know RAF Halton Sgts had eyes in the back of their heads but they weren't members of the Magic Circle.

RAF Officers didn't have letters , what was the point of a system where NI Nos, NHS Nos are all the same but somehow Officers didn't have to be an Algorithm ?

5 hours ago, bzn20 said:

I Don't pretend to understand modulus 23 algorithm, not a clue. So I'll take your word for it :idea:

Love to know how that 3rd Sgt dug out a T for me from a column written in Biro. I had 2 bits of paper, one bit with three numbers the other with four. He hadn't seen my strips and up pops T. I know RAF Halton Sgts had eyes in the back of their heads but they weren't members of the Magic Circle.

RAF Officers didn't have letters , what was the point of a system where NI Nos, NHS Nos are all the same but somehow Officers didn't have to be an Algorithm ?

Officers did/do have checksum letters but they are at the end of the numbers, rather than the beginning, because ... err ... because .... they just do!  When an airman was commissioned, the letter moved from the beginning of the Service number to the end.  Of course, that wasn't the only thing that happened on commissioning but you get the idea!

7 hours ago, PLC1966 said:

Are you part of a help group ?  My sympathies for both you and your familiy.

It's not something I like to talk about, but I feel I am among friends here!

2 hours ago, Vultures1 said:

Officers did/do have checksum letters but they are at the end of the numbers, rather than the beginning, because ... err ... because .... they just do!  When an airman was commissioned, the letter moved from the beginning of the Service number to the end.  Of course, that wasn't the only thing that happened on commissioning but you get the idea!

Yes,I checked with an old mate, after I typed that who got a commission he just got back to me, the number moved to the end !