P-47D Razorback - Lt. Albert Schaffle By Tamiya

Its time for me to start my 7th project 

This meant to be the well known kit from tamiya: 
121538-11575-88-pristine.jpg
From reviews on the web it seams thats an easy going and enjoyable build... Looking forward for that!!! :) 

From  a first dry fit it seems that i will need some putty on the bottom side of the airframe. 

I decided to buy a Thundercals decal sheet and planning to reproduce the 1st option, Albert Schaffle's plane.

thundercals48001reviewrk-1.jpg
The only photo references i managed to find are the ones below: 

3820.jpg

3821.jpg

In case there is some input by you guys it would be more than welcome!! :)

Moreover i am planning to paint all blue stripes and details and at the moment i am trying to find the proper color for that, preferably from Gunze or Tamiya range. 

Again if someone has tried before the input would be valuable. 

Soon i will come with an update starting with the cockpit as usual!!!

Thanks in advance for your input!!! 

Ps. Has anyone used decals from Thunderdecals? Are they of good quality!!!

Edited by Yankar
correction
  • Like 5

I've a feeling I've got another photo of Bette, but can't find it at the moment.

I haven't used any of my Thundercal sheets yet, but they are printed by Cartograph, so yes the quality is very good. 

This aircraft was delivered in NMF, so the area behind the cockpit should also be NMF.

The turtleback mags correct for this aircraft's engines don't come in the kit, Tamiya only supply the earlier distributors - they need to come from else where, the easiest place is from the Tamiya P-47M kit if building it as an P-47M.

Edited by Tbolt
  • Like 1

I remembered where I got the other picture from, it was stills from this video here Note although the area behind the cockpit should be NMF, it appears in this footage it's painted.

65675047555_000115_3.jpg

Edited by Tbolt
  • Like 1

Thanks a lot Tbolt!!!

Sorry but i cannot understand what is NMF. Could you please let me know what you mean?

As far as the engine is concenrned sorry but again i can't get what really you mean by  turtleback mags. 

I think that terminology in English is not my best :) sorry about that!

NMF is an abbreviation for Natural Metal Finish, a term commonly used nowadays to describe an unpainted metal-skinned aeroplane.  This often results in various panels appearing to be slightly different in colour.  Sometimes this is due to different surface treatments or manufacturing processes being applied to the different panels.

I'm not too sure about the "turtle back" mags, but the magneto installation on the engine changed during its production life, the Tamika kit apparently represents an aeroplane with an earlier engine installation than the one that you wish to model.  The magnetos were mounted somewhere on the reduction gear housing on the front of the engine, the location and housing varying between engine sub-types.

• Like 1

Yes NMF is just quicker than have to type bare metal all the time.

Here is what Tamiya give you in the Razorback kit ( top photo ) - the two distributors, part C14 in the kit (  part C15 is incorrect as it was only used on the engines fitted in the P-47M and N ) sit either side of the black magneto block in the middle. On the -59 engine used in the later P-47's they used  combined distributors and magneto, commonly referred to as turtleback mags due to there shape. So this also means the magneto block (black in the photo) wasn't fitted.

A lot of companies, including after market ones get this wrong and a lot of people incorrectly call the distributors magnetos.

The annoying thing is Tamiya only give you turtleback mags in the 1/72 scale Razorback kit!

A quick way to get around it, is used the incorrect distributors in the kit and reshape them a little and paint them black and remove the magneto block.

PrattWhitneyR-2800-21NMUSAFJun094.jpg

A turtleback mag

s-l300.jpg

What the -59 engine should look like from the Tamiya kit. The small part in between the turtlebacks is the prop governor, not fitted in the top photo as there were two different types - one for CE props and one for HS props.

R2800-59_2.jpg

Edited by Tbolt
  • Like 6

Thank you both guys!!! 

I am still learning... and your input is valuable. 

Tbolt: by the area behind the cockpit you mean the one marked below i suppose. Correct? 

3851.jpg

Would you have any suggestion for the colour of the blue strips? 

2 hours ago, Yankar said:

Thank you both guys!!! 

I am still learning... and your input is valuable. 

Tbolt: by the area behind the cockpit you mean the one marked below i suppose. Correct? 

3851.jpg

Would you have any suggestion for the colour of the blue strips? 

Yes that's what I mean. It was treated as part of the fuselage, so Olive Drab aircraft were painted Olive Drab here, but starting in the D-20 block with aircraft 42-25274, they were coming out of the factory in NMF so this area was also NMF.

Bette must have had this area painted when they painted the fuselage, like some of the other 19th FS aircraft.

The blue you want is FS 15102, I can't help you with Gunxe or Tamiya as I don't use them, but iI would use Colourcoats ACUS28.

Edited by Tbolt
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Tbolt said:

Yes that's what I mean. It was treated as part of the fuselage, so Olive Drab aircraft were painted Olive Drab here, but starting in the D-20 block with aircraft 42-25274, they were coming out of the factory in NMF so this area was also NMF.

Bette must have had this area painted when they painted the fuselage, like some of the other 19th FS aircraft.

The blue you want is FS 15102, I can't help you with Gunxe or Tamiya as I don't use them, but iI would use Colourcoats ACUS28.

Thanks for your input. For one more time its very helpful for me!!! :)

It seems that its NMF from the photo posted by greatgonzo.

As far as blue is concerned the FS15102 seems to be equivalent to 2030 Model Master. According to the table i found its not available by Gunze or Tamiya. 

I have never used Colourcoats and i am not sure that they are available in Greece. In reality i have never heard of them in the past.

true-blue-fs-15102-gloss-.jpg

2 hours ago, greatgonzo said:

I've  had a feeling I've got another photo of Bette too. :)

Thanks a lot for the picture!! :)

Edited by Yankar
Addition

To me it looks like Olive drab in that picture as well. Other D-20's from the 19th FS that left the factory in NMF also appear to have this area painted OD as well. They must just had their canopies removed for the painting.

squaw2.gif

P-47D-15_42-23289_Lady_Ruth_19th_Fighter

Damaged_P-47_318th_FG_19th_FS.jpg

This is what you quite often see on a NMF Razorback.

mx-w2.jpg

Edited by Tbolt
  • Like 2

Hello Dears,

Great idea Yankar, it look nice.

You can use also Quickboost or Aires Pratt 2800.

Thank for the tip T-Bolt also valuable for me as I will make Sylvia (same name than SWMBO)

Thank you again,

If you don't mind Yankar, I'll follow the thread, in a corner quietly :drink:

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

36 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Dears,

Great idea Yankar, it look nice.

You can use also Quickboost or Aires Pratt 2800.

Thank for the tip T-Bolt also valuable for me as I will make Sylvia (same name than SWMBO)

Thank you again,

If you don't mind Yankar, I'll follow the thread, in a corner quietly :drink:

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

From what I've seen it looks like the Aires and Quickboost  R-2800's are both incorrect for a later P-47D. 

• Like 1

Hello again!!!

My progress is quite slow due to heavy work load this period there it comes...

The cockpit with some paint on it... at least the first steps... 

The base colour is Guzne 302 with some black added to it, while details are painted with Vallejo. 

3978_md.jpeg
3979_md.jpeg

Still looking for correct colour reference of the actual P-47 cockpit as i am mainly finding models, thus its not 100% safe...

Your comments are valuable as always!!! 

Edited by Yankar
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again!!! 

After some time here we are again with an update. 

Cockpit is nearly ready.... There you go:

fullsizeoutput_de5_zpsec8ergiu.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_de6_zpsflj77mdz.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_deb_zpsoje9li5f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_dec_zpsbes3him4.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_df0_zpswlrxcjg8.jpeg

Base colour is not 100% as shown in the pictures... It seems that taking pictures of my work is not one of my strong skills...

Some work has been done in the engine as well, with the first colours already applied: 

fullsizeoutput_ded_zps8dmww1wu.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_dee_zpsz0uejhxd.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_def_zpsjjstw8cm.jpeg

Your comments both welcome and useful for me :)

• Like 3

On 5/29/2017 at 2:11 AM, rob85 said:

That is some really nice detail work you have done! Looking forward to how this turns out, really like the scheme 

Rob

Hey Rob,

i am am glad you like it!!! :)