Douglas C-47 NASA

Finally managed to complete the Italeri/Esci DC-3/C-47.

The markings depict NASA 817 which was used by the organisation between 1969 and 1989. The markings come from an Xtradecal sheet -

XTSUrDrG.jpg

y1z5Hb9w.jpg

icb1wrLJ.jpg

mivFWXDn.jpg

Edited by Eric Mc
  • Like 39

It's a bit "very white" if I'm truthful. But I did want a NASA Goony on my shelf. Next 1/72 Dak I do will probably be an RAF one.

I have a few 1/144 airliner ones I want to do too.

I'm taking a break from 1/72 DC-3s for a bit. The next one I build will be in 1/144 and could be either Aer Lingus or BIA.

Edited by Eric Mc
  • Like 1

That's a great livery! An unusual  scheme for a C-47 & an unusual (humble) aircraft to see in NASA colours!

7 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

It's a bit "very white" if I'm truthful.

It's a challenge to weather white. I for one would like to know how to find a middle ground between a battered Sunderland & a glossy Airbus.  I'd say yours looks about right, as NASA are usually a pretty professional outfit with well maintained machines.

Well done!

Thank you.

I found a couple of good quality pictures of NASA 817 in the internet and it is very true that she was kept in pretty much pristine condition by NASA. There was hardly the hint of an exhaust stain on her.

As as she spent most of her NASA life operating in and around Edwards, she didn't encounter much in the way of rain or mud.

NASA (and the NACA) has operated all sorts of different aircraft over the years. Whilst the top end high speed research aircraft like the SR-71 and XB-70 and weird machines like lifting bodies are fairly well known, they have also flown dozens of more humble aircraft such as Cessna 172s, Short Skyvans, Twin Otters etc etc.

Great work, looks the biz. I'm just trying to finish off one of the Airfix incarnations of this kit, not a bad bit of plastic for something originally issued in the 1970s. The only bit I don't like about the kit is the windscreen, quite awkward to fit and I've ended up replacing it with a bit of CD case.

Excellent!

Nice to see the Italeri kit still earns respect compared to the newer Airfix one (I have both kit in stash).

The NASA livery looks very elegant on this venerable bird.

:thumbsup: