Revell 1/48 BF109 F- Finished

This is basically the same build as Greg Destec. It is the revell rebox of the ICM kit.

IMG_2255_zpstwkgrfxv.jpg

I had initially just added some masks  and some spare decals but closer inspection showed up some areas that arent good. 

The rear wheel bay was short shot so I had to fettle this and removed the strengthening plates which were only found on very early Fs

IMG_2269_zpsykxql9ca.jpg

The propeller shape  and hub are very strange so I ordered the eduard replacement

IMG_2270_zpsddwkgt4f.jpg

Iv started the cockpit and engine. This is basically all I will do of the engine as I want it closed up. I have read that nose is problimatic in fit so we will see what I can come up with when we get there.

IMG_2268_zpstowte6ya.jpg

One other issue is that there is a strange ridge molded on the bottom of both sides of the fuselague that doesnt look right and will need sorted. :wonder:

Edited by delta7
  • Like 5

Let battle commence :D!

Mines has a misshapen mass on the underside of the fuselage, which I sanded off. The prop blades are a bit off but I will stick with whats in the box. I must check for the strengthening plates too.

Looking good.

Cheers

Greg

Edited by GREG DESTEC

some progress with cockpit

The cockpit isnt bad , Iv added the fuel line and a map box to one sidewall and then a throttle to the other. Some spare resin done for some boxes on the floor.

I then made straps and belts from tamiya tape. the seat belts colour is too harsh compaired to the spare etch I added so Ill tone this down.

dials are just the decals from the kit and some touch in paint . I used a spare decal for the top of the cannon breech.

IMG_2271_zpsgit28g8x.jpg

IMG_2272_zpsm6fwzbl2.jpg

• Like 3

Fugelage joined and cockpit in. There are no location points so pit in as best fit. Belts repainted to blend in better with etch

IMG_2275_zpsdtmlxy41.jpg

I had to remove some of the base of the firewall to sit right

IMG_2276_zps9vef7zjp.jpg

the firewall looks to be sitting a few mm too far forward but Ill see if that impacts further on

The wings are just dry fitted, I will need to file down the tops of the wheel wells as the top wings dont sit flush

Here is the strange belly shape that will need fixed 

IMG_2277_zpse0mmjxby.jpg

• Like 3

progress today : glued tailplane and rudder ; sanded tops of wheel arches and glued wings together; started on engine cowls. The firewall is slightly too far forward so its very tight on the dry fit so some more surgery is needed :rage:. Im stopping to let glue set and have a think about best way forward,

Here is where its at now

IMG_2281_zpsx3qchz1b.jpg

• Like 3

Ok engine had to go and made up my own tabs to help location

IMG_2283_zpszrtlziea.jpg

oil cooler section put together

IMG_2285_zpstutrccmf.jpg

wings on - fit here was reasonable with only some small work to do on one part

IMG_2284_zpsvezwr75g.jpg

Top cowel also added; Im going to glue exhausts to this then assemble the rest of the nose section next

Edited by delta7
  • Like 4

nose assembled ; order was,

glue upper halves together then attatch with added location points

glue nose section together then attatch with added location points

fit exhausts

glue radiator section and attatch.

ended up not bad, here are some shots , Iv started light sanding to level some sections prior to filling

IMG_2287_zpspbxboh9r.jpg

IMG_2288_zpsyjuysgrd.jpg

IMG_2290_zpsjqsbdyd0.jpg

IMG_2291_zpsqjn6g6hf.jpg

• Like 3

working away at the gaps on this, not that terrible , most were erased by carefull sanding then some filler.

IMG_2293_zpsizbgtvl0.jpg

IMG_2294_zpsblpcgkz3.jpg

Ill need to rescribe some of the panel lines on the base but apart from that it will be on to getting some colour on next

IMG_2295_zpsllu0qost.jpg

• Like 3

small update, added gunsight and armour to cockpit, masked up canopy, preshaded and now looks like this.

IMG_2320_zpspu043cxe.jpg

The resin prop hub is too big so will need to be sanded down to match kit part ( you can see the lighter resin behind the primed kit part ) . Ill add some fine mesh to the trop filter and attach this prior to painting. Im also going to add some e-z line along the top of the engine housing to simulate the hinge so that seam will dissapear.

I have see a few different colour shemes for this plane and Im going for late 42 which had a very low demrcation line between the sand and the blue.

Edited by delta7
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

weathering done and final small pieces added so Im calling this done

IMG_2340_zpsead2nkuo.jpg

IMG_2331_zpscdwrxcpr.jpg

I enjoyed this build, after sorting out the engine cover fit it went together well and Im pleased with how it turned out.

Thanks for all the support !

• Like 2