Revell 1/48 BF110 G4

Hi folks,

so my very first WIP on here...

I've decided on this as my next project:

DSC_5410_zps6wwuwveh.jpg

I had intended to spend a fair bit of time doing the cockpit as the detail is pretty impressive.

Anyhoo, primed it, painted (to the best of my cack handed ability) the detailing and used a soft pencil to bring out some of the small boxes switches.  Next was a clear coat to then add a wash.  However the lead from the pencil has mixed with the clear coat and seems to have done the wash / weathering for me so ended up sticking it together and before I knew it the fuselage was buttoned up......

The seams on top and bottom are going to need some work and especially the join between the fuselage and nose:

DSC_5412_zpsonnpkqmy.jpg

DSC_5413_zpsizt42ylr.jpg

When I'd put tape round the rear of the fuselage that in combination with the glue seems to have broken some of the sticky out bits (to give them their technical term ;) ) so I'll need to replace them at some point......

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions or experience of building this kit all advice gratefully received :)

Edited by Lawzer
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

so after a few weeks paint is on.

However, to me it looks like something from around 1941/42....

RLM76 underside but looks too light?

should have said this aircraft is from late '44.

DSC_5416_zpshig1ech4.jpg

Edited by Lawzer
  • Like 1

hmm if anything the RLM76 looks a bit too blue. But I think that once you put decals on, give it an overall clear coat and then use a pin wash on the panel lines & finishing it with a nice semi gloss or flat coat blending it all together it'll look fine.

This is one my favourite kits by the way, always happy to see one built :)

• Like 1

Yes now you come to mention it the shade does have a hue to it.  Might just be the light.  It was vallejo air but i may seek an alternative solution as for some reason even with vallejo thinner it does not want to spray well in my mucho-cheap airbrush.

some of the parts fit in a strange way - attaching the wings especially - but so far so good.

so you've built this kit before? Any tips on the undercarriage?  From the instructions doesn't look like a lot holding the fair weight.....

cheers

ian

47025350_zpsbpibnqdz.jpg

I made this picture for myself a few years ago to remind me not to try Vallejo Air anymore. I tried it but I couldn't get it to work. In my experience it's just that paint that sucks, and it might not have anything to do with the quality of the airbrush. Had much more success thinning regular Vallejo with plain alcohol (70% or 96% works fine). Don't thin Vallejo Air with alcohol though - it'll become lumpy.

It's been years since I built the kit but I don't recall having any problems with the undercarriage. My model is almost 20 years old and as far as I know the legs are still fine (wheels have broken off but that's because it having moved houses a few times in those years - it's living in a box in the attic now). Here it is when I just finished it:

http://www.hyperscale.com/galleries/2001/bf110g4ea_1.htm

• Like 1

So far incuding this kit I've done 3 luftwaffe subjects and had probelms with the paint on all 3 :(

Nice 110 by they way :)

• 2 weeks later...

So I've got as far as decal-ing and a bit of a panel line thing going on:

DSC_5417_zpsmdmbf5ql.jpg

DSC_5418_zpss0ykoqrc.jpg

Not quite sure what's happened with the wing crosses :(

I'm undecided if I should try an oil wash to tone down the rlm76 some more?

Actually, I really quite like the colours now as they're turning out - I like the boldness. So I personally don't think there's a need to tone down the 76. It looks like the decals on top of the wing are silvering (due to air trapped underneath). Maybe try some setting solution (Microscale Sol for example) on them in combination with -carefully- making a few cuts with a sharp scalpel blade to allow the setting solution to flow underneath. You could also try a soft towel made damp with hot water and carefully try to press out the air trapped underneath. Or, carefully mask the black and repaint the inside of crosses but be careful not to rip off the decal as you remove the masking tape.

Looking good!!

i did put some microsol on under the decals but I'm wondering if I didn;lt apply it with a clean brush :(

I'll try the scalpel technique......