US Navy PBY-4 colour info from SAMI 1998 wanted.

stevehnz

Scale Aviation Modeller International magazine in 1998 carried as series of 3 articles by Ian Barker (?) on PBY colours in WW2. As far as I can work out from prowling the net, ebay etc, Part 1 was in the June 1998 issue & Part 3 was in the Octber 1998 issue but I've no idea what issue part 2 was in & which part ( if at all ) covered the ealy Pacific war activities of USN PBYs, in particular Pat Wing 10 in the Philipines. Anyone able to confirm the issue for Part 2 & which part had the info I'm after. I'll probably pick up all three anyway in time but 1st things 1st. I've got a copy of the Osprey book of USN PBY Units in the Pacific.

Steve.

Part 1 is June 1988 Vol.4 Issue 6

Part 2 is August 1998 Vol.4 Issue 8 - with six USN examples from 1941 to 1944 including one Pat Wing 10 example

Part 3 is October 1998 Vol.4 Issue 10

The series covers 16 specific aircraft representing various countries and schemes. Be warned that the colours are only described by name in the first two parts and whilst colour note comparisons are contained in the last part for the RNZAF and RAAF examples, for the USN colour comparisons  the reader is referred to the author's previous Colour File 8 'USN Camouflage Details 1941-1947' without citing which issue it is in. I think you will also need that issue for a complete understanding of his presentation.

Update: Per a SAMI index the USN camo colour file 8 is in Volume 3 Issue 11 which should be November 1997. Haven't checked the actual mag though. 

Nick

Edited by Nick Millman
Updated info

Hell Nick, thats a bit rough, I'd hope I never failed anyone in that respect, my Mum & Dad, bless them, would be well put out, I've got the 3 issues from 1998 coming from Vince & Mia at Modelsforsale via ebay & the info in the Nov 1997 issue I "found" on line. :), so thanks again.

Steve.