Ferrari F187/88c

Damn claps go out it is from my Merc w04 build, it's been so long since I touched that I was hoping it would slip under the radar. 

And a sharknose :cwl: I wish F1 still made cars as pretty as the old sharknose. 

Shaun 

Big news 

The decals are finally done. 

First off the whole body was micro meshed down to have a fully flat surface as it helps with the final clear coats. The areas where decals will be going have had a few more grades of mesh though up to around 6000 to 8000. This really helps with decal placement and adhesion and gives less chance of tiny air bubbles under the decal. 

20170817_115028

And on go the decals. For me this car is bitter sweet as the decal stage is one of the most enjoyable as it really brings race cars to life but on the other hand this cars simple livery gives it such a nice clean look unlike most modern f1 cars. 

20170817_121337

When it came to the rear section and side pods they did require a little more skill, especially with the agip decals the needed slicing through which was done with a new clean blade after they had around 20 minutes to dry off after applying them. Also 1 gripe I do have with the livery is the fiat decal, now I get that the fiat company owns Ferrari but they could have made a little more effort into the brand logo for f1 looks, maybe do away with the blue and just have white branding on a red background to fit in with most of the other sponsors on the car. 

20170817_124528

And that's it all done after the second layer of the Marlboro decals were added which was a little tricky getting it all to line up more so on the 2 behind where the drivers head would be due to the curves. 

20170817_130324

20170817_130343

And finally just a little soon to be picture. Hopefully not too long away. 

20170817_125831

And that's it my modelling for the week done until atleast Monday evening now which weather permitting is when I will hopefully get some clear on the body parts. 

More soon 

Shaun 

• Like 2

Thanks for the comments on the car hopefully when this pain in the bottom weekends is over I will have some life left in me to put some clear on. 

On 17/08/2017 at 9:22 PM, Cooper645 said:

I fully concur.

@shood23 your signature of current builds provided all the info required ;) 

Ah I can't see that anymore on my phone after the recent forum update and very rarely have the privilege to use the computer anymore with the kids and wife hogging it. 

Shaun 

• Like 1

Tidy, Shaun. Regarding Micromesh, are you using its set of colour-coded square pads or something else? I was thinking of getting some.

Incidentally, is the white bodyshell in the background for a Sauber?

Thanks ade. These are the mm sheets I use

http://www.hiroboy.com/Micromesh_Pack_8_Different_Grades_in_1_Pack--product--4972.html

And that white shell in the back of picture 2 is not a sauber, I do have the aeg sauber to do at some stage though, the shell is actually the jag xjr9 I'm trying to turn into something that closely resembles the 1991 xjr12 that came second at lemans that year. 

Shaun 

Edited by shood23
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Mr happy there will be one soon I've just finished off a weekend of nightwork and looking after the kids during the day so a little sleep in coming first then maybe some time for models later 

Shaun 

• 2 weeks later...

Right so as promised a long time ago an update to this and honestly only a few bits have changed due to an unusually busy last couple of weeks to the kids school holidays, we normally just try and get back into the boring school routine but carried on our fun right to the end this year. 

So making gains on the rear wing end plates one side is done now this side need a the slow build up to get that nice deep black. 

20170824_110947

Now all the black is done a little gloss coat went on to help with decal adhesion. Once the decals have been clear coated I will be putting a semi gloss or flat clear over to bring down the shine.

20170904_084301

All the rest of the black bits for wings and end plates are ready to be primed now. 

20170904_084207

And finally the body has been clear coated. There was a rookie mistake by me when clearing the main cockpit bit as I didn't put the cap on the paint cup of the airbrush and clear splashed all over one side slightly wrecking the Ferrari decal but it was fixed and a new decal put on and another coat of clear (with the cap on this time) was put down and now it's basically done. 

2017-09-03_01-40-17

And with some body parts on. 

20170904_084322

More soon  

Shaun. 

• Like 2

Quite honestly John I'm happy the red is the same shade on each of the parts as the main cockpit bit needed a small amount of red putting over where the clear paint dripped on to it after I sanded off the dried drip. 

Shaun 

A little more has been done over the day but looking at my schedule for the next week I'm pretty sure that it was the last amount of time left for models for the foreseeable. 

So the front wing parts and rear wing planes and supports have all had some primer put on. 

2017-09-04_07-56-06

And the rear wing end plates have had the decals put on. 

20170904_130101

As the number may suggest unless I had already mentioned it in a previous post the car is being done as Gerhard Bergers Italy car. 

One thing about this kit I like equally as much as I dislike is the faked/moulded in carbon weave on all the wing parts. It's nice as it gives the carbon illusion but it make decals a pain as all of them need to be really pushed down so I don't get some really tiny air bubble that you just know will show up after clear coating. So here's a closer picture that hopefully shows the effect I mean and how much the decals have had to conform. 

20170904_130135

More soon 

Shaun 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Nice: is this the one that caught fire? I recall thinking the worst and then he stepped out!

Not that I'm aware of? Honestly the only real thing that stands out for me with this car is it was only only car other than the mighty mp4/4 McLaren to win a race in 1988. 

Shaun 

Right so as the build of the big sf70 gets started I made some time for this car. 

The body has had some clear over it on the previously damaged side. It's now pretty close to being able to stick on the floor pan.

20170914_133809

And the rear wing end plates have had some gloss to seal the decals, now it's time for a satin clear. 

20170914_133822

And that's all thats been done recently. 

Shaun  

• 2 weeks later...

So slow moving with this build now I have the sf70 that requires so much prep work but I have taken an hour today to finish off the red parts of body work. 

The main cockpit peice, 2 side pods and the engine cover have been rubbed down with micro mesh to give an all over even shine. All that's left now is possible a quick rub of wax to make the shine deep but I'm not 100% as I feel the shine is good enough for 80s paint work. 

20170921_153938

20170921_154005

20170921_153948

Moving away from shiny bits and the wing elements are finally being painted black very slowly as this jet black is ridiculously easy to screw up. 

20170924_162127

And the front suspension arms have all been painted with a semi gloss black just need to brush on the pick up points. 

20170924_162255

And finally the seat was painted I feel I need to tone it down with some smoke paint before finishing off. 

20170924_162320

More soon 

Shaun 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Right so I think 2 weeks is enough of a gap between posts. 

The little Ferrari, which is now being made by mfh into a big Ferrari, has had some quite substantial progress. 

The rear end has been all but finished with the drive shafts been put in and the brake ducts onto the hubs then the upper suspension arms placed on. Also the brake disks and calipers have been glued on. 

20171009_162855

Same sort of story at the front of the car also. So the main body section was glued to to floor pan and the uprights completed so am also at a point where it just needs the wheels. 

20171009_162914

As you can probably tell from above the side pods have been glued on also. 

20171009_162919

A little picture of the inside of the side inlets. 

20171009_162958

The rear sections of parts have been painted black. 

20171009_163016

Then finally I stuck on a few of the final engine parts like the turbo/exhaust system, the top parts of the engine and the rear parts of the radiators. 

20171009_170720

Realistically now it just the wings and wheels to do so I'm quite happy to be this close to another complted build. 

More soon 

Shaun 

• Like 3