Ferrari F187/88c

So after what feels like forever I have decided to make a Ferrari again, this time though its not from an era when I was alive, it's also the only car that managed to win a race against the mighty McLaren mp4/4 in 1988. It's the car Ferrari had high hopes of breaking their title drought after a strong 1987 but I don't think anyone could have seen how strong the mp4/4 was, even McLaren in a time when there was little to no simulation tools like now. 

After taking a look through the kit it looks to be very nice, especially if fujimis kit sequences go how I think they do this is gp6 so that tells me this would have been the 6th kit they made in their f1 series so it was pretty early given they are on gp40 something now. There is a good amount of engine detail but with room to add more, the body work seems to go on in a good order so my hopes are this could turn out to be a very nice build. 

Now on to the kit. 

The box. Very simple it's got the car name and picture and not much else. It's to the point. 

20170508_212324_zps9kmxljpz

Decals look pretty nice.

20170508_194150_zpsuqrnckjh

Obviously being a late 80s Ferrari it wouldn't look right without the cigarette logos. Nice set from tabu even though I don't care for the multi layer to get 1 decal correct method. 

20170508_212344_zpsskbemkkv

The instructions are not normally something I take pictures of unless they are overly complicated or ridiculasly vague but I have on these to show how this kit can easily be turned into 3 versions of car presumably one from 1987, one from Monza (it's only win of 88) and then I think the bottom one is the from the Japanese gp of 88 but I can't be 100%. I will use the old translate app on it at some point for a correct answer. 

20170508_194126_zps9j6xsman

I have made a start to the main bodywork but that was only to stick on the bit just behind the drivers head. Nicely made though with no extra plastic anywhere and the cut off points from the sprue were placed in good areas.

20170508_194056_zpsqznnkpdx

One more just to show the simple aero philosophy of the 80s "shape it like an arrow and it will go fast" it's a million miles away from modern f1 but I like it 

20170508_194049_zpscrf19sr4

The floor pan is nice and simple and has this fake carbon look moulded into the rear section. 

20170508_194041_zpssog3qcrv

So then me being me I wanted a mock up of how it will look further down the build line. 

20170508_194019_zpsbakymjnd

With the engine cover on and I have to say that the fit is quite nice no major bits that need fixing. The outer sections of the engine cover need bending down a little to sit flush but the cover will most probably stay off anyway. 

20170508_194001_zpsgblur57u

And then I made up the engine and there is a huge gap inbetween the engine and body which I don't think should be there but haven't looked into any reference to find out yet. 

20170508_212401_zps8dl8j3wz

Overall I'm quite happy with this kit so far and I think I'm right in saying that this was the first Ferrari f1 car that seb vettel drove in the demo days at the redbull ring back in 2014 with Gerhard Berger so maybe this car is what made his mind up to switch to Ferrari later that year. 

More soon 

Shaun 

Edited by shood23
  • Like 2

I suppose it's time I fill you in on what I have achieved over the 30-40 minutes I had spare today. 

I was taking a look at some other other bits in the box, you know stuff you would normally leave until the body is drying from paint. I came across the rims and noticed some odd, what I thought was, residue on them so took them out the packet to give a little rub with some cleaner and a micro cloth and the stuff (another word was used at the time) stayed on them so I am going to have to try and strip them and repaint, it's odd as normally fujimi wheels I leave alone as the plating is usually on point. 

20170508_194227_zpsbch4ocht

The engine went together with no problems whatsoever ever 

20170509_130352_zpszsyrjok0

It always astounds me how big the gearboxes on these old f1 cars are compared to 2000s cars, it's over double the size of the engine. 

20170509_130346_zpsizvc1jx2

Right so moving a little forward from the engine on to the turbo intakes. This is the biggest issue I have come across so far on this car, I'm not a fan of the ones that sit above the engine cover like these do for one but fujimi made this car so you can't have the engine cover off and the whole unit still together. Literally the top half is ment to be glued to the engine cover and the bottom half just sits under it with no where for a connection point. This is going to be changed as I want a full detailish car and looking at the reference the turbo ducts were only ever 1 peice. So I am adding the need thickness of material to the top of the lower part.

20170509_130423_zpsyzaiyzoo

So that when I am finished it will all be in 1 bit like this.

20170509_130516_zpsz5lgebge

Obviously with this change to the inlets there will be modification to the engine cover required so it can slide past when I want it on or off. New style on the top half of the picture and standard on the bottom half. A lot of material is needed to be removed as the inlets are so big and then need just a little bit more as not so scratch the ducts when taking off the cover. 

20170509_130542_zpsw2krzfbs

The ducts were finished just basically as I'm writing this post so I thought I should add them in. The excess material inbetween the upper and lower part of the duct has been removed and sanded almost flush, It will be finished properly soon. So this is now basically what I'm left with the whole duct assembly is tacked in place with a minute dot of superglue and the cover and front part of the body put on just to check for clearance and fit. 

20170509_175741_zpswcnju2wp

And from above just to show how tight the hole in the cover was kept. 

20170509_175758_zpsambobcki

And that's about it for today. Not much time to do everything I wanted but I am liking this car a lot and am now off to do a lot more research into it while watching that new 50 shades of 💩 I mean grey film with the other half.

More soon 

Shaun

Edited by shood23

15 hours ago, shood23 said:

The instructions are not normally something I take pictures of unless they are overly complicated or ridiculasly vague but I have on these to show how this kit can easily be turned into 3 versions of car presumably one from 1987, one from Monza (it's only win of 88) and then I think the bottom one is the from the Japanese gp of 88 but I can't be 100%. I will use the old translate app on it at some point for a correct answer. 

20170508_194126_zps9j6xsman.jpg

I did a bit of poking around on google translate. (Got to work early today!)

The top pic is "Italian" (Or Italy?) - the four Kanji characters. The other is "Japan" - the two Kanji characters.

Arigato.

Shaun

One of my favourite 'Red Cars'!

Been looking at these kits for a while and  the late version with the larger inlets, unlike yourself I prefer the larger inlets, I didn't realise they actually come with this kit as it's not on the cover.

Great start, will be following.

John

20 hours ago, injidup said:

I did a bit of poking around on google translate. (Got to work early today!)

The top pic is "Italian" (Or Italy?) - the four Kanji characters. The other is "Japan" - the two Kanji characters.

Arigato.

I actually had to download Google's translate app just to find out what they were and your right the very top car is Monza gp of 88, the bottom car is Japan gp 88 but the middle one just comes up as "before" and that's confused the poop out of me because "before" what? Before Monza? Before 88? Testing? It's not too much of an issue as I'm doing the Monza car but I just want to know lol

14 hours ago, Hamden said:

Nice start I do like the F1 cars of that period

Roger

Thanks roger, I have to admit I prefer the mp4/4 over this but hey it's the only car to win a race other than the Macca plus it's a Ferrari and that's always a bonus. 

8 hours ago, Hugh Jampton said:

Shaun

One of my favourite 'Red Cars'!

Been looking at these kits for a while and  the late version with the larger inlets, unlike yourself I prefer the larger inlets, I didn't realise they actually come with this kit as it's not on the cover.

Great start, will be following.

John

Yeah the kit comes with 3 versions of turbo in let 2 very tall one and one that's almost flush with the body but the Japan spec ducts are a little bigger but a little more square also. But then you know my love for Ferrari so there's never a bad looking Ferrari f1 car for me. 

Shaun

• Like 1

A little more modifications have been done. 

This bit is part of the body work and the radiator 

20170510_173403_zpsfaxmjisb

It's ment to go under the side pods like this. Red is such a crap colour to picture so I edited the picture to show how it goes. 

20170510_173439_zpsk8ra3jul_edit_1494510615858_zpsgxptzh4f

So from what I have seen on the real car there is no join line between the inner part of the radiator outlet and the side pods cover. So I cut the radiator bit off of the section. 

20170510_173450_zpsooku145l

So it now sits in the body properly. 

20170510_173647_zpsjefzhsqs

A view from the other side to show how I looks. 

20170510_174807_zpspltzo9t6

More soon 

Shaun 

Edited by shood23
  • Like 1

So not much has been done recently as I've been waiting for fillers to dry before I can move forward with the body work but I have got the engine and all the associated parts around the engine painted with a mix of tamiya semi gloss black, gunmetal and a touch of gold. I think I may have to dirty it up a little with some washes or pastels as it looks a little clean. 

20170518_172700_zpsytbkrl7s

I do have a 3 day weekend now so should be able to push on more with this over the next few days. 

More soon  

Shaun 

Edited by shood23
  • Like 1

Right so like my other builds at the moment I have had much love for this as I feel I may be losing a little motivation, so a lot of this was done on Friday last week. 

I filled the join line between the main part of the body and the little upper bit. 

20170519_115752_zpsjyuwpm1q

But after looking at some of my reference closer I have seen there is a very slight join line on the real car in this area so back off came the filler and a score line will be put in soon. 

20170522_125607_zpsvb06gdg7

Also the filler off the side pod inlets has been sanded off. 

20170519_115744_zpsecqq9blp

The turbo ducts attachment points on the floor are very minimal and I can see myself knocking them off a few times while putting other bits on. So a little hole was drilled in the floor pan and put a small bit of plastic rod in so the ducts now have a properly solid point to go on 

20170519_115810_zpsoygkhqyo

Now staying with the ducts I have got to the point of gluing the top part on so they are now more enough ready for paint. 

20170522_125615_zpsr7ihhn0d

And how they will look when done.

20170522_125649_zpsotj2ndil

All those nasty silver plated parts have been stripped. But unfortunately the spotting that I noticed on the rims go all the way down to the plastic. 

20170522_125505_zpsyza9s4th

And now finally the work on changing the radiators has been started as they have flat tops but in the reference have more rounded ones. 

20170522_125430_zpsrh0qckfh

More soon

Shaun 

Edited by shood23
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think 2 weeks is long enough without a little update on where this build is. 

And honestly due to my current work schedule and the school holidays it hasn't moved forward as much as I'd have hoped. I am now at a stage where most of the parts have been painted or are in a primer coat ready for paint. 

So the main part of the body.

20170606_142423_zps37qufwyp

There are a few bits I'm not fully happy with like this area where the primer has pin holed for some reason and it definatly not the filler as there is only a very thin line where the join was and also a few little areas I want to change at the front are bugging me.

20170606_142432_zpsgeg0ksup

The side pods have gone the same a little plus my sanding wasn't the greatest there also 

20170606_142508_zpsoobscxxs

And finally I have taken the decision to drill out the holes in the exhaust pipe for a little more realism. 

20170602_115601_zpsu8yajscn

More soon 

Shaun 

Edited by shood23
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Right so I believe an update on where this is at is called for. 

Basically with the little time I have had for hobbies recently I have used it mainly just to tidy up areas I don't like. 

The main body part was fixed with all those little sink marks in the primer and wet sanded the primer then applied more primer. So now it is ready for a coat of 80s Ferrari red. 

20170615_120721_zps8hcuvsag

Rims have been painted in a mix of flat and gloss black as I didn't have any semi gloss black. Just the silver rim to go now. 

20170615_120801_zpsipizzghz

And the brakes have been painted in alclad steel. The centre part needs painting. 

20170615_120817_zpsnyauh1hp

More soon  

Shaun 

Edited by shood23
  • Like 2

The heat at the moment is a killer also for paints and motivation, it gets up to 40 in my work space most days with the sun now so Its either sit in and mess with plastic or go out in the garden and chill out in the kids pool, the pool has won the last few days. 

My plans with the engine are to add as many details as I can without majorly modifying parts so a little plumbing here and there, radiator hoses and a few other bits. 

Shaun 

• Like 1

A little update to this from what I have done today. 

A few of the engine/turbo parts have been painted up. 

This part of the turbo has been painted in duraluminium 

20170621_174235_zpsghgujbcq

And the rest of the turbo parts and exhaust parts have been painted with alclad exhaust manifold, which was the first time I've used this colour and I can see myself using it more soon, it's a light black sort of colour with a hint of copper. The camera picked up the copper colour most as they do look darker in person. 

20170621_174316_zpsguje01s9

I've got around to painting a few of the smaller details on the engine/gear box like the drive shaft output and some of the bolt heads with metal colours. 

20170622_143150_zpsu0jowpqs

The rear pull rods and spring have been painted up in alclad and tamiya pot paints. The arms need finishing. 

20170622_143126_zps9pisptrz

Turbo ducts have been sanded down and are both now ready for some primer. 

20170622_143204_zpsmria6phk

I added bits of plastic to the top of the rear radiators as they are the wrong shape in the kit and have a more curved top edge. 

20170622_143045_zpsfmacsfuf

And finally as I said the body sections are now ready for the red coat. I got some down on the floor part as this needs a few different colours before it's done. 

20170622_143410_zps4pm8czg1

And that's where the good/ happy update takes a turn down hill (through my own mistake I may add). 

The floor pan was primed in the same way as the rest of the body apart from I used zero paints pink primer on the areas that needed red, but because I'm a bit of a t**t I decided not to do the pink primer layer on the body parts for 2 reasons 1) because the gulf blue I used on my last build had such good coverage I talked myself into thinking this red would too 2) the pink primer balled up kind of like it dried before hitting the part on some areas of the floor so I didn't want to add more time before I could get some red on. So I painted the floor in red and it's a nice red, then I painted the red over body parts in just grey primer and the colour came out so different I made the decision to strip the body parts of the red and prime it in white so it gets somewhere close to what the floor is. 

20170622_143355_zpsprpxwcy2

So in a little bit of a mood from what happened above I started gluing bits together in the engine bay. The turbo/exhaust is now completed minus the turbo ducts which still needs painting 

20170622_172012_zpszyut2wq2

Then I took it a step further and started adding bits not in the kit but that were in the reference pics like the tubing for the forward radiator to the engine. 

20170622_190406_zpsnsgo3djh

More soon  

Shaun 

Edited by shood23
  • Like 2

Not an update but either way it's some good news for this build thread. My other half just made me aware of any sports f1 showing the 88 Italian gp as part of their classic race program on Monday so I should be able to close off some lose ends on visuals. 

Shaun 

• Like 1

So a very small update o  this while I go about changing all the pictures with the new flickr ones. 

The floor pan is all but finished now, just need to add the silver foil heat shield and I can start adding engine parts. 

20170629_115058

And the exhaust part has also been changed a little compared to the last update as I managed to paint the end chamber bit with some alclad. 

20170629_115128

Unfortunately due to this photobucket thing and my work schedule recently I have got around to painting the body parts yet but on the bright side the tamiya white primer would have gassed more than enough when I do get around to doing it. 

More soon 

Shaun 

• Like 2

So I had a little spare time today to make some progress on this as my to do like is getting bigger so I need to clear some stuff from the bench. 

Finally I gave made a start to getting the bodywork red. Nice light coats as the red seems a little thinner in colour not viscosity than the pre 04 Ferrari red. 

20170704_112109

After a couple of hours and about 10 light coats the red was done. Its a proper scarlet Ferrari now. 

20170705_114000

The turbo ducts have also been finished now as Well so I will have to store them safely until final assembly. 

20170705_114013

And for the last part of the update the floor pan has had a little silver foil added. Its wet as I had to rub off some of the residue from the foil adhesive. Just one more side to go and I can start adding some engine bits. 

2017-07-06_05-26-34

More soon 

Shaun 

• Like 3

A small update for this to show how little has been done over the weekend. 

The body is now shiny but I think it got a little too hot when curing and it's not the best clear coat I've ever done. But a quick rub with 2000 grit sand paper and another clear coat should sort this out. 

20170711_123331

The rest of the body work.

20170711_123345

And finally the radiator bits have been painted all they need now is a little toning down with an oily type wash. 

20170711_123415

More soon 

Shaun 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

It has taken far too long for my liking to get this back on the bench but kids and work at this time of year take up a lot of time. 

The body is now ready for decals after another clear coat was added. 

20170805_192021

And the floor pan is more or less done now so I can make a start on getting some of the engine bits stuck on properly as the engine is just resting in place here 

20170805_192045

More soon 

Shaun 

• Like 2

A little more done up to today. 

As the floor pan is now done I have made a start to sticking bits on. The turbos back through the exhaust outlets have been stuck on, the side pod parts and secondary radiators are only put in place to help with the placement of the turbo parts. 

20170807_122436

I have mocked a few more of the engine parts just to show how busy the oob kit should be but given how the engine cover/turbo inlets are most people that make this will have all this hidden. 

20170807_123656

I'm using my smarts and gluing the rear suspension bodywork on with the engine in place so it's in the right place 1st time. 

20170807_124000

The brakes have been painted with alclad pale burnt metal. 

20170807_124621

And finally I have made my mind up on how I'm going to paint the wing parts with the faked carbon look imprinted on them. Zeros yet black, then gloss, decals, more gloss to seal them and finally a coat of satin or flat clear. 

20170807_124635

And just a little random pic of the other f1 I'm working on very slowly at the moment. Correct guess gets a clap

20170807_124645

More soon 

Shaun 

• Like 2

Impressive work as ever Shaun. Is the real light bulb above for when you have 'a light bulb moment'! ^_^  I've only just caught up with this and you appear to have had a few fights with some of the parts and finishes, resolved with your usual aplomb.

On 08/08/2017 at 8:04 PM, mbdesignart said:

Impressive work as ever Shaun. Is the real light bulb above for when you have 'a light bulb moment'! ^_^  I've only just caught up with this and you appear to have had a few fights with some of the parts and finishes, resolved with your usual aplomb.

Haha I wish the light bulb ment that lol but no the light bulb is there as like many things in my house recently things keep breaking. 

On to the car. 

Like with my other builds recently things are moving quite slowly. The main body parts have now been sat waiting for decals for over a week which normally I do the day the clear has cured as it's one of my favourite parts of a build. 

This is everything I've done since the last update. 

The rear body work panels that have stopped me from being able to finish off the rear suspension have now been polished up. 

20170815_173511

As you can probably see above I have added some silver foil to the back side. 

20170815_173457

And just to fudge out this update a little more. I cut out the suspension openings in the foil which was quite tricky with the curve at the top but they've come out ok I think. 

20170815_174135

And finally I have had a little experiment with tyre marbles which may or may not be used on this but definitely on the McLaren mp4/31 I will be doing soon. The tyre black paint is still a little wet in the picture which is why it's so shiny on the surface. 

20170815_180228

More soon 

Shaun 

On 07/08/2017 at 3:53 PM, shood23 said:

And just a little random pic of the other f1 I'm working on very slowly at the moment. Correct guess gets a clap

20170807_124645

More soon 

Shaun 

I am going to assume that this is your Mercedes W04 Conversion....

Great work on the Ferrari, coming along really nicely.

Coops