1:35 Grant Tank Crew - MiniArt / Preiser / Tamiya / Hornet Mashup

On 6/13/2017 at 10:21 AM, Bullbasket said:

And it you want cap badges, Chris Meddings of Inside the Armour does several in etched brass.

John, do you know if this guy is still producing PE cap badges? The web site doesn't seem to show very much at all, and the only stockist I could find (HLJ in Japan) lists it as 'Discontinued'.

Sorry Clive, but I've no idea. You could try dropping him an email. If you are attending Telford this year, Chris usually has a stand there. If all else fails I can let you have some for your Grant display if you let me know what regiment it is that you require.

John.

• Thanks 1

On 9/21/2017 at 1:32 PM, Bullbasket said:

Sorry Clive, but I've no idea. You could try dropping him an email. If you are attending Telford this year, Chris usually has a stand there. If all else fails I can let you have some for your Grant display if you let me know what regiment it is that you require.

John.

Thanks John, I don't suppose you have an email address for the man do you? The shame of it is that I have a 'fixture clash' that weekend so won't be able to get to Telford, but it's possible that he does other shows.

Thanks very much also for your kind offer, but if they're that difficult to get hold of it might be best if you hung on to them :)

After various experiments in face painting (the figures, not my own) over the past few days, I think I have the approach that works for me. To be honest my experiments look better in the flesh, so to speak, than on camera, but here's where we are so far:

37344825776_8657ba8bcd_b.jpg

37361829002_d52cbdd227_b.jpg

My thanks to @Brasso27 whose thread here was a big inspiration.

• Like 1

A small but significant step forward this afternoon - joining a Hornet head to a MiniArt body:

36745242784_9f3ea54a21_b.jpg

36784699803_a5a83d9fc9_b.jpg

Still needs some bits added on, but that's looking fairly ok to me!

Edited by clive_t
second pic added
  • Like 2

On 10/2/2017 at 4:38 PM, clive_t said:

A small but significant step forward this afternoon - joining a Hornet head to a MiniArt body:

36745242784_9f3ea54a21_b.jpg

36784699803_a5a83d9fc9_b.jpg

Still needs some bits added on, but that's looking fairly ok to me!

That's looking fairly ok to me too :-)

Are you going to shorten the neck a gnat's?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Timmas said:

That's looking fairly ok to me too :-)

Are you going to shorten the neck a gnat's?

Thanks, I thought it looked ok as I wanted to convey a look of someone quite tall. Having said that, it's not glued in yet (just push fit) so I could try pushing the head in a little further to see how it looks. :yes:

5 hours ago, clive_t said:

Thanks, I thought it looked ok as I wanted to convey a look of someone quite tall. Having said that, it's not glued in yet (just push fit) so I could try pushing the head in a little further to see how it looks. :yes:

There's some useful info on body proportions here -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_proportions

and here -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Figure_drawing

Worth taking a look before you glue him together?

• Thanks 1

Thanks for those links, Tim, most interesting, and now bookmarked.

I am however reminded of a big sign that used to adorn the wall of a project office where I once worked: 'Man plans, God laughs'. Even with carefully documented rules on general body proportions, it's worth remembering that Mother Nature has a vote on any one outcome. In any event, the more I look at this particular figure, the more I am convinced that he looks absolutely fine to me.

So, two figures more-or-less done, four to go.

I've managed a bit more progress over the past couple of days, such that I now have all six bodies, and 7 heads. One of the heads is not going to make the cut!

In addition to the two Hornet heads above, we have:

36786643934_dd1e8f35bb_b.jpg

37496708321_270ebdcbeb_b.jpg

36786645274_d5c16ec00e_b.jpg

36786647384_dd02e251ed_b.jpg

Some work to do on the eyes, but other than that I'm happy with how they are turning out.

So, to the bodies.

The first head, I had already earmarked for my 'walking wounded' figure:

36886601943_27800b5b03_b.jpg

I would concede that in this case the body is still a little on the large side for the head, however once the bandages are applied then I hope that this will be less obvious.

I have in mind another figure crossing the wadi, having returned from some urgent business:

37524827922_3f253eb23a_b.jpg

37297977860_e89a095d40_b.jpg

Another figure will be in discussion with the commander, pointing at some point in the distance:

37556373701_1f1933f973_b.jpg

I did intend doing another standing figure, however the head with the 'closed eyes' gave me an idea to have instead a figure sitting on a box or similar, just sleeping. The body for this figure came from a MiniArt 'British jeep occupants' kit. I modified the limbs to show the hands hanging down:

37297953050_cbe095ea21_b.jpg

37508321156_7b72150fd6_b.jpg

So, still lots to do but it's starting to come together. Thanks for watching, and your comments. :yes:

• Like 2

10 hours ago, clive_t said:

In any event, the more I look at this particular figure, the more I am convinced that he looks absolutely fine to me.

I agree with you Clive. I don't think his neck is too long. Some people do have long necks, some short.... or at least, that's how it appears. In fact we all have the same number of bones in the neck and it's actually a difference in muscle and fat volumes and the angles at which different people 'hold' their shoulders and head that makes a neck look long or short.

As for your thinking the photos don't do your heads justice, you are definitely correct. But don't forget some of those photos are showing heads at 10x magnification! Even at 2x a perfect face can look a bit 'messy'.

So, great work on the faces, and on the figures.

Rearguards,

Badder

Have been following this project of yours Clive with great interest,do you still work as a surgeon or have you retired?and the figure with the moe looks like a younger you,:D I wish I could have the skill and patience you have,you put so much effort into your work,its a inspiration for the younger modelers and old ones(me) who see your work Cheers.

6 hours ago, Badder said:

I agree with you Clive. I don't think his neck is too long. Some people do have long necks, some short.... or at least, that's how it appears. In fact we all have the same number of bones in the neck and it's actually a difference in muscle and fat volumes and the angles at which different people 'hold' their shoulders and head that makes a neck look long or short.

As for your thinking the photos don't do your heads justice, you are definitely correct. But don't forget some of those photos are showing heads at 10x magnification! Even at 2x a perfect face can look a bit 'messy'.

So, great work on the faces, and on the figures.

Rearguards,

Badder

Cheers Badder. Hopefully some better quality photos soon. As you say, the problem with photographing something as small as a head is that you have to get right close in so as to have an image big enough to see, whereupon all the imperfections are laid bare for all to see. Hopefully they will look the part once assembled on the dio.

5 hours ago, Jim Wasley said:

Have been following this project of yours Clive with great interest,do you still work as a surgeon or have you retired?and the figure with the moe looks like a younger you,:D I wish I could have the skill and patience you have,you put so much effort into your work,its a inspiration for the younger modelers and old ones(me) who see your work Cheers.

Thanks Jim, I guess I am more an enthusiastic amateur plastic surgeon :D

I think I would more readily identify with 'Sleeping Beauty':sleeping:

To be honest, I thought you did a damned fine job on your WW1 figures, I'd have been more than happy with results of that calibre.:yes:

3 hours ago, clive_t said:

Cheers Badder. Hopefully some better quality photos soon. As you say, the problem with photographing something as small as a head is that you have to get right close in so as to have an image big enough to see, whereupon all the imperfections are laid bare for all to see. Hopefully they will look the part once assembled on the dio.

Thanks Jim, I guess I am more an enthusiastic amateur plastic surgeon :D

I think I would more readily identify with 'Sleeping Beauty':sleeping:

To be honest, I thought you did a damned fine job on your WW1 figures, I'd have been more than happy with results of that calibre.:yes:

To kind Thanks.

A bit more progress on the last 3 bodies this evening - a base coat of the last dregs from my desert yellow rattle can, followed by some Tamiya flat flesh tone, some Games Workshop black for the footwear, and a sepia wash for the overalls:

37363213590_9b2860b194_b.jpg

Getting close now! :)

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Old Man said:

That spray and wash worked nicely, Sir. Is the tank already done, or will that be next?

Thanks OM, most kind of you. The tank is done, the RFI for which is here

I am hopeful that soon everything will be assembled on to the diorama base.

More modest progress this evening - the flesh tones got a swab of oil paint:

23785278238_93758cac85_b.jpg

I couldn't resist a quick dry-fit of Sleeping Beauty's head with the rest of him:

36927752024_1e4d13f24c_b.jpg

I suspect that when he wakes up he's going to be in dire need of some after-sun B)

You may have noticed that I have pared away the plastic moulding for the shorts round his legs - I intend to replace that with something a little looser-fitting!

• Like 1