1/32nd F-100 "Triple Zilch"

I am posting this thread a little prematurely because Photobucket is playing up and taking hours to upload photos. I have 2 out of 10 and my ancient PC is showing 11% completed - and has done for the last 4 hours! Frustrated or what?!! Anyway, here's the first one:-

Super%20Sabre%20-%20Triple%20Zilch%20001

Well, that worked anyway. The second image is a little out of sequence:-

Super%20Sabre%20-%20Triple%20Zilch%20011

Okay, not the best image but thats all I have so far!!  I have a list as long as your arm of people to thank but first I must thank Rich (Trickydicky210) for letting me have the kit and also Alan P for info about his version of this airframe. it came to me in a part built state with Aries cockpit, gear bays and jet pipe already included so I just had to finish it! Rich also included a 'Free' Trumpeter MiG-3 and thats next in line to finish - I hope to add more images - when the Photobucket thing finally finishes - probably tomorrow!

So, you may think that completing this build was straightforward - not so! I decided that I didn't need to be able to expose the engine so the rear fuselage is permanently joined. However, it seems as though an F-100 at rest does not have horizontal stabilators so I removed the tabs on the tailplanes, worked out where the pivot was and drilled each stab and inserted a piece of brass rod, around 2.5mm in diameter. I also had a corresponding piece of brass tube to go through the fuselage and, strangely, this just goes under the afterburner!! I then found that the stabs were pitching all over the place - answer ? - put a very slight kink into the stab rods so that the fit is a bit tighter - job done! I also need to box in the tail bumper under the rear fuselage. 

I was keen to model Triple Zilch so searched around for info and decals and, via LSP and a chap called Erik (Airfixer) in particular, I found out a lot about this particular airframe and was also able to get the rather rare Cutting Edge sheet. I also acquired the CAM Super Sabre stencil decal sheet which also gives you national markings and U S Airforce titles in dark blue, not black as provided with the kit. Fortunately for me this airframe flew with the standard sized (kit) drop tanks so no need for the AMS extension kit but you must get Harold's wheel set. You will read that the Trump kit doesn't sit right. I even had a set of French manufactured resin wheels and I have also seen reference to cutting about 3mm out of the main gear legs - don't do it! The kit legs are fine but the wheels are too big - as were the French resin ones - basically a flattened copy of the kit set (anyone want to buy a pair very cheap?!!) This airframe was also pre- arrestor hook so none of those bits were required and also the early airbrake - without the cut out for the 'device' - is appropriate.

The Aries parts are basically beautiful, the chap who makes the masters is a genius. I discovered that North American used a dark 'brunswicky' green for the undercarriage bays, not the usual chromate interior green stuff so that was applied, also, most of the gubbins in the bays is painted black. I dry brushed and washed this area and the detail pops out beautifully. Same goes for the gear legs where they are basically painted in Humbrol 56 with grey washes applied and a sliver of self adhesive chrome tape for each oleo 

This airframe, being the boss's, is very clean and I have photos to prove it. The rear fuselage is not badly heat stained so no need to go overboard there. I had only used Alclad once before - white aluminium on a 1/48th Mirage - and so I was very nervous about what to use. I ended up buying a range of colours (with advice from Erik) and then made some colour chips out of rectangular pieces of white plastic card which I sprayed with Halfords grey plastic primer. I then sprayed each of the colours onto each chip so that I know what each colour actually looks like when its in situ and large enough to tell. I then primed the airframe with the Halfords grey and, after it was dry, rubbed it down with a piece of kitchen towel and this really did a good job of polishing the surfaces,. This airframe was mainly finished in 'aluminised lacquer' so the majority of the airframe is Alclad White aluminium although the drop tanks are in natural metal - so 3 shades of silver - and of course the rear fuselage is natural metal so I had some fun with different shades plus some swipes of the hot red, blue and purple and I was both pleased and relieved with the end result. All then sprayed with Tamiya gloss varnish - what strange stuff! - and that then left decalling. Main markings on first followed by 4 nights worth of stencil application - one night for each side, then top then bottom - don't rush! I admit to one mistake. If you look at photos of the real jet then you see that the red rectangle below the windscreen with Tolliver's name on it should actually be parallel with the top line of the red flash. I used the Cutting Edge guide and that shows it parallel with the panel lines!! We live and learn and its not coming off!!

So that left the cockpit and the undercarriage + gear doors. I did the undercarriage and doors first. Another mistake - fit the centreline doors first because the legs, etc, get in the way! This is significant because each door has a pair of hydraulic pipes which connect the top of the door to the piping in the bay. Lead wire painted black but such a fiddle to attach with the legs in place. Again, we live and learn!! Also, check your airframe to be sure it has the smaller door that opens to clear a store on the centre pylon. I didn't so I made my doors as a single piece. Erik kindly sent me a spare set and I was then very careful about getting the angles right and the retraction jacks in the correct places. 

Okay, airframe the right way up with wheels and doors on. That left the cockpit. This came to me installed so I took the liberty to do some dry brushing and washing and the had the joys of the Aries etch to apply. Not easy but it makes a tremendous difference. This extended to the canopy where there was both resin and etch to fit and this was 'demanding' !! 

The seat is beautiful and actually slides down the rails. Assembling the seat straps was a night or so's work and cannot be rushed and must involve a magnifying glass. But I think it was worth it!

Fitting the pitot was fun and requires some checking. I should say that the nose includes the Zacto correction and the pitot position needs to be adjusted based upon accurate side views, not the holes in the fuselage. I also used a Quickboost refuelling probe and that is only push fitted to the underside of the wing. The last job was the Sidewinders and pylons. I discovered early on that the kit pylons are inaccurate and that they actually extend forwards to support the forward part of the missile body. I'm not 100% sure about how accurate mine are but they are the result of looking at several photos and guesstimating. I also decided to fit a brass pin between each 'winder and it's shoe as these things have a habit of falling off! And then Sidewinder markings. I was very pleased to see that the Big H now have the Two Mikes set for Sidewinder markings (also Sparrow if you're interested) back in stock so I used that. These decals need to be cut up to allow application around the fins and that was another mornings work. The blue and yellow bands also have quite a thick coat of ink on them so are a bit hard to get to overlap. I also decided to give each missile a clear nose. Plunge moulded hot clear styrene. Not bad, could have been better but will do!

And there you have it. 2 out of 10 photos of my Hun. Absolutely love the jet and had to have those markings! If you're lucky you may get more images from me in due course but I am very happy with the model and very grateful to Rich - and a lot more people - for helping along the way! 

Simon

And here are the other photos - took almost longer to upload them than building the model. I am uploading one image at a time otherwise life feels too short!!!  Tip for doing the black and yellow ejection seat handles - paint handles yellow then draw on black stripes with very fine, sharp pointed black marker! Wish I'd learnt that one earlier!!

One other 'intentional' error - if you look at photos of the real jet then virtually all of the red on white warning signs on the rear fuselage are missing with maybe the remains of one of the smaller ones just visible over the stab pivot point but I decided that, as I had them, I might as well use them!!! Love the reflection of the stars and bars on the flap upper surface!

Super%20Sabre%20-%20Triple%20Zilch%20002

Super%20Sabre%20-%20Triple%20Zilch%20003

Super%20Sabre%20-%20Triple%20Zilch%20004

Super%20Sabre%20-%20Triple%20Zilch%20005

Super%20Sabre%20-%20Triple%20Zilch%20006

Super%20Sabre%20-%20Triple%20Zilch%20008

Super%20Sabre%20-%20Triple%20Zilch%20010

And thats your lot ! I can't express how much enjoyment I got out of this build - love Super Sabres and finished a 1/72nd Hasegawa/Frog kit in the early 80's using the Modeldecal markings for Triple Zilch so I knew which airframe I would like in 1/32nd!! Despite the kits faults - easily corrected if you throw money at it - its a superb looking piece of kit when its done!

Simon

Edited by Simon Cornes
Rest of photos now added
  • Like 30

Great looking model Simon. will be better when you get more pictures up.

I found going through Safari, rather than Chrome, both Britmodeller and Photo-bucket work better. 

cheers Ali

That looks real nice Simon, looking forward to some more pic`s. BTW I stopped using PB a while ago, using Imgur now, dead easy to use ( even I figured it out ) and not looked back.

Thanks for the comments guys. Now added the missing photos - I hate Photobucket!! As stevej60 says, I to am forced to upload one at a time - thank goodness its done!!

33 minutes ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Awesome model! I particularly like the subtle staining on the rear fuselage. Is this from the Wethersfield era?

(As a matter of interest, I have started using Village Photos  for uploading images to BM. It is free to register, intuitive to use, relatively fast at uploading images and devoid of adverts!)

Yes, this is a Wethersfield era jet and the reference photos I have are taken then so I can always have a photo to hand if anyone thinks the model looks to clean and unworn!! Thanks for the photo advice. I have an old PC and an equally old Olympus 4 Mb camera. The PC is still running XP Pro software and PB doesn't like that. The computer I am using now is a Mac but I have still to get used to knowing how to upload photos to that from my old camera. Will it work I wonder? I suppose I should just plug it in and see but I don't take that many photos !! PB is okay when you have the time but something without ads might be nice!!

• Like 1

Hi Simon,

Been looking forward to seeing your F-100 for a while now and I'm not disappointed. It looks great. Glad you managed to get the pics uploaded. Thanks for sharing.

Mark

Hi Simon,

Knowing the trials and tribulations you had with the F100, it has turned out incredibly well. My congratulations!

John

• 6 months later...
11 minutes ago, HOUSTON said:

Simon..

:yikes:

STUNNING..

:heart:

Thanks Houston. To be honest, I think its a good kit to start with. After that you're just gilding the lilly. I find that a bit of extra detail gives the impression that you have really gone to town on the kit. In my case, I made clear covers for the Sidewinder heads. Not difficult to do (!) but, at that scale, it makes a difference to a gloss black painted head or a yellow 'rubber duck' cover and gives the right impression - all about 'not spoiling a ship for a h'aport of tar!'

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1

4 hours ago, trickydicky210 said:

Simon 

that looks fantastic, you must be really pleased with it.

cheers Rich 

Hi Rich

Yes I am and many thanks to you for letting me have the part built kit. I am still working on the 'bonus' MiG-3 which came with it!!

Cheers

Simon

• 1 year later...

Sorry to be so late to this great show, but your corrections have really lifted this already great kit.

I built it for therapy back in the day, glad you also found it fun to build!

Alan

Alan

Many thanks for your comments. I have your F15 and F4 as inspiration and for reference so I tend to use your work as a benchmark to work to so I'm glad that you like it! Getting the next 1/32 kit finished is a different kettle of fish however!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...