French M-47 Patton ...

Hello gents,

thanks to all for your comments ... pin wash and detail painting will be on the menu for the week end ^_^

9 hours ago, Gremlin56 said:

Lovely work as usual Etienne, the black primer works beautifully with the green topcoat. Will have to try that myself ;)

I used black primer then I made a zenithal modulation firstly with grey then nearly white grey before the topcoat, I find the result much more convincing that a simple pre-shading on white or grey primer.

As a matter of facts, I tried many different methods and my prefered ones are :

> blackbasing and mottling ... a very simple and easy solution for very light colors as it's easy to adjust the mottling and give some modulation and depth, but not as strong as color modulation that I find a little bit unrealistic

> zenithal modulation on black primer (used on the M47) ... better for dark or medium colors, you can work on modulation without worrying too much about imperfections since they will be under the top coat at the end. However, the top coat has to be thin to obtain a good result. One of the benefits is to lighten the top coat for dark colors.

Anyway ... my motto is now "black primer for everyone" !!

Cheers, E

Edited by Etienne
  • Like 2

Hello gents,

I began the pin wash yesterday evening but had no success, the paint was too rough ... probably because I sprayed it during the hot days. So I decided to paint some more details, then clear coat the model and apply decals.

There's a little bit of silvering on the turret ... I guess it will disappear when sealing the decals with clear varnish :huh:

Don't look for historical accuracy, the markings are imaginary ... the hull's decals come from the kit and the turret's ones come from an AMX-30 decals set, but are very similar to what was on 2nd Dragon Regiment's M47s. I don't know if the name "Chemin des Dames" ever appeared on a M-47 but I like the fact that this well known historical site of WWI is very close to where I live.

img_0611.jpg
img_0612.jpg
img_0610.jpg

Hope you like it. Cheers, E

• Like 3

Thanks guys for your comments B)

Not much to show today, pin wash and details ... not very visible on my low quality pics :huh:

On 25/06/2017 at 5:05 PM, robw_uk said:

very nice.... love the finish you are achieving... which black primer did you use?

I use Stynylrez primer from Badger ... you can also find it under the UMP brand in the UK. A very good primer, scratch resistant, can be sanded smooth and applied by brush if necessary. I also use it mixed with acrylic putty to fill small holes and joints !!

Cheers, E

Edited by Etienne
  • Like 2

Hello gents,

thanks for your comments B)

Small update today ... much of the last week's work is not that visible, filters, pin wash, filters again and a very subtle streaking to blend the decals ;) ... the only obvious addition is the bridging weight marking, a dry transfer from Archer ...

You'll probably notice the tide marks on the exhaust's covers ... they are intentional as they are often seen on M47.

Next step will be dusting ... I want to keep the beast rather clean, in order not to obliterate all the hard work !!

img_0618.jpg
img_0620.jpg
img_0617.jpg
img_0619.jpg

Cheers, E

Edited by Etienne
  • Like 3

Hello gents,

as mentionned in my previous post, I wanted to keep weathering rather moderate ... its always a critical stage in my modelling process as I still lack of control when it comes to dust and mud, particularly on the undercarriage :huh: 

I think the result is not bad ... at least conform to what I wanted to achieve B)

I am a little bit anxious about dusting the upper hull and turret ... probably next week end as I've done enough for today.

img_0621.jpg
img_0623.jpg
img_0624.jpg
img_0622.jpg

Cheers, E

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/07/2017 at 0:08 AM, Hewy said:

Love the painting technique you used on this etienne ,i like how you started off light and allowed the weathering and washes to darken it up,very nice

Thanks Hewy, as a matter of fact I experimented to get a realistic finish and the darkening of the color is due to weathering and washes on one hand and to the semi-gloss finish on the other, as I didn't apply a matt coat.

That gives this specific finish, darker or lighter depending on light as you can see on real tanks ... and confirms that the use of a matt coat at the end of the weathering is not always adequate, particularly for the 50s-70s tanks.

Cheers E

• Like 2