French M-47 Patton ...

Hello gents,

today's afternoon, I tried to finish the resin and PE work with the front hull's hatches and many details on the turret (jerrycans holders, tools brackets etc.) ... the final stage will be the .50 M2 machine gun B)

img_0563.jpg

I also added the bilge pump's outlets near the fuel caps ... took me some time to know what those tubes were actually :huh:

img_0564.jpg

... OK, as of now, it has been only PE and resin, nothing very original, you may say !! ... but as mentionned in the 1st post, this tank will be a french army M-47 and will receive some special features as deflectors on the engine deck and a special rear plateform specific like this one (source Primeportal)

m47_patton_tank_131_of_187.jpg

So now, scratchbuilding time begins ... I am far from the scratchbuilding Jedis of the forum, but I tried to reproduce the specific brackets for the plateform, not easy as I had to create specific square shaped hollow tubes etc.

img_0566.jpg
img_0565.jpg

Next step will be the plateform itself, I am waiting for some mesh, next weekend probably ...  cheers, E

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Nice going on the build Etienne. Any idea what the purpose of the platform is?

John.

Thank you all for your comments ;) ... today I partially build the plateform but no pics, too lazy :P

Apparently, this special feature was added to give better access to the transmission ...probably for field maintenance, I guess ^_^

E

• Like 1

Nice work Etienne, I have one of these in my stash as well, ( I think just about every armour fan does!) Always good to see one coming together as nicely as this!

Granto

Hello gents,

I finished the build today, just need to add pericopes guards ... still thinking about the solution, PE, soldered brass rods, next week probably.

I also added the rear plateforme and the deflectors specific of french M-47s, made of PE off-cuts ... sorry, I forgot to shoot pics befire priming so you will only have the full black beast !!

img_0569.jpg
img_0567.jpg
img_0570.jpg
img_0572.jpg
img_0571.jpg

Cheers, E

Edited by Etienne
  • Like 3

I do not know how the PE periscope guards look in your set, but for Sherman they far away from original. Basicly they are flat, but should be rods. I am using the kit plastic ones, but soldered brass rods / copper wire should be ok. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Kris B said:

I do not know how the PE periscope guards look in your set, but for Sherman they far away from original. Basicly they are flat, but should be rods. I am using the kit plastic ones, but soldered brass rods / copper wire should be ok. 

I decided to try the soldering route ... maybe next week as I need some supplies to do that ^_^

E

For the guards you can try bending each of the upright pieces from wire, and if you don't wish to wait soldering supplies, insert the metal parts into the hatches, and then connect the two by super gluing two across pieces of wire or sprue.

2 hours ago, SoftScience said:

For the guards you can try bending each of the upright pieces from wire, and if you don't wish to wait soldering supplies, insert the metal parts into the hatches, and then connect the two by super gluing two across pieces of wire or sprue.

Thanks for your the advice but I already tried that solution and was not satisfied ... to fragile unless I use more glue and then it's ugly ^_^

I'll wait for supplies, I'm not that impatient ... E

Edited by Etienne
  • Like 1

Hello gents,

after mowing and trying unsuccessfully to repair a major leakage on the hot water tank :huh: ... I just found a moment to work on the M47.

So I build the M2 HB machine gun ... I used an Asuka M2 with craddle and added some PE for the ammo box holder, very nice at the end

img_0574.jpg
img_0573.jpg

Cheers, E 

• Like 3

Good evening gents,

tonight I decided to rework the pedestal mount locker as the 1st one looked oversized and too squarish ... here is how it should look like :huh:

11775610.jpg

The result is not that bad, even if not perfect ... my fingers' size seems to be a limiting factor :P

img_0575.jpg

Now I have peace of mind ... cheers, E

• Like 3

7 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

NIce .50!, what superdetailed job, very nice...:popcorn:, cheers Etienne :D

Thanks Francis ^_^ ... I had a sudden manic episode this evening that forced me to tweak the .50 so the chains are now positioned properly B)

Cheers, E

• 2 weeks later...

Hello gents,

busy Saturday but I found some time make some progress ... sorry, no pics of the different stages but here is the result : after some zenithal modulation with grey then white, a new technique for me, I sprayed the base coat B)

img_0580.jpg
img_0582.jpg

The modulation is rather subtle but still visible ... I am quite satisfied with the base coat, as it is light enough before weathering, something i had a hard time to achieve with previous builds.

img_0581.jpg
img_0583.jpg

Cheers, E

Edited by Etienne
  • Like 4

Hello gents,

thanks for your comments, today's work was made of detail painting and overall filters ... the barrels protection is perhaps not dark enough but looks nice in my opinion.

As the exhaust covers will not be permanently fixed, I also painted them to simulate the rust caused by heat ...

img_0584.jpg
img_0585.jpg
img_0611.jpg
img_0610.jpg
img_0612.jpg

Cheers, E

• Like 5