DH 60 Gypsy Moth - Amy's Jason G-AAAH ++ Finished ++

CedB

@TonyTiger66:

Hello Tony That's absolutley correct  It's called RLM Silber 01 that period. Today it is Ral 9006 Weißaluminium. Cheers from Münster

Ps: A useful link for that paint codes:

http://www.kartonbau.de/forum/ral-farbcode-wehrmacht-luftwaffe-kriegsmarine-grundausstattung/board1-grundlagen/t5070-f26/?s=8cbb2f77d5e7cac8febb66741aa1f426bf413032

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 3

Hello Ced, once again. If you look for a colour like that, then search for "Weißblech", white aluminium or so. It could match Tony's suggestion:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weißblech#/media/File:Getraenkedose_weissblech.jpg

P.S. Ilike that silver on your wings very much, but if you like it a bit more dull? You have to know (what's worth the effort). Cheers

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 2

Thanks Benedikt, especially for the 'virtual beers'! :) 

I think you're right that it needs toning down a bit - I'll probably satin coat her at the end.

• Like 1

Struts - ugh. Having realised that looking at them does no good I decided to try some things.

Have I told you how much I like Berna clamps? Yes? Well I like them even more now that they appear to be exactly the right size to hold the wings apart:

34685922461_fefd27aba7_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

It's been sat like that for hours, but this morning I decided to bite the bullet and glue the central struts to the fuselage:

34778591446_febede69ac_z.jpg

Drying now while I build up my courage...

• Like 6

Other struts fitted:

34692227501_65f4aeb111_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

I'm not sure how you're supposed to make sure that everything's in line when it's all so wobbly... I guess that's what the rigging's for.

• Like 7

Hi Ced - thanks for enlivening my morning cup of coffee with this typically Ced-thread :clap:

I don't often look at the group build forums - dunno why - might be some subconscious feeling of inferiority cos I know there's no way I'd actually finish a build in a group build timescale (maybe when I retire :))

But I'm glad I found this one - and I'm gonna have to find your other entry as well now.

The Gypsy Moth looks mighty fine - and Amy looks...sort of.....scale appropriate (can't get into trouble for saying that can i?).  Like the look of the stand alone blue clamp.  Have downloaded iModelKit for the paint mixing functionality - but I'm not sure I have brain cells to spare to learn how to use it.....

Bravo.

• Like 1

Thanks Johnny :)

Thanks Steve :) I have the same problem with GBs. I did say I wouldn't do any more (can't take the pressure) and then this one came along. Herd instinct, that's what it was. I do get notified of the members I follow (which helps) but I have to occasionally look through the entries in case I miss some gems...

The clamp's OK - not as good as the Bernas for control on the grip but better because of the stand. Reviewed here with a link to the supplier.

iModelKit isn't that intuitive but it is useful as a start point for mixing (see above!). I think it's worth paying for the inventory module too - you can scan the barcodes on your paint pots - if, like me, you can't remember what you've got!

This morning I decided I needed to apply the transfers as rough handling after rigging is to be avoided! I printed out the scanned / edited transfers on laser decal paper:

33996265204_b4915ca748_z.jpg

Not ideal. I then realised I needed to slow the printer down so I re-printed specifying 'coated paper' to the print driver:

34706853691_918d7e337c_z.jpg

Much better, and they look OK don't they? Well they're not:

34707409171_108b373140_z.jpg

34029980493_69499473f1_z.jpg

Someone clever might be able to tell us what's wrong with that but, currently, I blame the... something or other that's not me. So there.

The decal film coated kit decals were better:

34453826130_95707576d7_z.jpg

as long as you don't look too closely while they're wet:

34676793512_0fde27e2a9_z.jpg

34840002115_5252ee0e6d_z.jpg

A planned satin varnish coat will, hopefully, cover that yellowing.

The new ident letters were much better:

33997284394_063e0af4e5_z.jpg

34030328053_d803dbc4a8_z.jpg

although they did stretch a bit when rolled with a cotton bud - care required but they seem to have settled. I needed the whole 'strip' including the carrier film to get the spacing but I've  cut away some of the carrier where it creased and I'll do that elsewhere (as needed) once they're dry.

Rigging next. Wish me luck!

• Like 7

Been keeping an eye on this thread, Ced, even if I haven't commented (yet :winkgrin: ) .

Looks like you have a rigging bug, haven't you? 

Ciao

• Like 1

Thanks Giorgio - it's a bug I intend to squash as soon as possible! This will be the last one for a while (although I do have a Pup in the stash...)

Bite the bullet, get on with it. Plan A was to fix the rigging to the top wing, fit the wing and then tie it down.

34805712206_284109f366_z.jpg

I braced the wing so that things were straight(ish):

34681981832_0f116df7aa_z.jpg

and then got on with it. Some bits needed doing more than once and I must admit that, by the end, the precise spots of CA were getting more like blobs and I was getting shaky from the concentration but I got there:

34714034631_4689190869_z.jpg

Sadly my patience was completely drained and I couldn't get the last bits done - just the undercart to do:

34003675474_b69c3ac5b2_z.jpg

A bit of patience and a few blobs of glue and I can still make my target of tomorrow - the anniversary of Amy's arrival in Australia.

• Like 10

Splendid work Ced :thumbsup2: !

The new ident letters look superb. I'm going to have to be brave and try the same process on some yellowed decals soon.. 'coated paper' setting? Is it an ink jet printer?

Mine is a Hewlett-Packard ink jet, I'll check for that setting. This printing decals business worries me; the paper isn't cheap, costly mistakes :frantic: !

Your ringing looks very neat and tidy; the use of the Berna Clamps a cunning plan indeed. Berna Clamps are just one of life's  wonderful things :D.

Keep it up and good luck with the undercart rigging

The main (silent) footage of the landing:

https://aso.gov.au/titles/newsreels/arrival-miss-amy-johnson/clip1/

Is cleverly edited to omit that on muddy 'Eagle Farm' airstrip, she actually skidded and crashed on landing.

https://youtu.be/IMC7fHxLBlA

Fast repairs on the Moth indeed for the first, edited version

All best regards from the land she, er, landed in, where your tomorrow is already my today. Please don't crash it :lol:!

Happy landings

TonyT

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TonyTiger66 said:

...she actually skidded and crashed on landing.

https://youtu.be/IMC7fHxLBlA

Blimey, I knew she had a problem with landings and that this one was a fair old prang but I'd no idea it was as bad as that.

Top work on the rigging by the way Ced.

• Like 2

• CedB changed the title to DH 60 Gypsy Moth - Amy's Jason G-AAAH ++ Finished ++

Thanks Giorgio - it was a bit of a test! :) 

Thanks TT - brilliant videos, thanks for the links. I'm pleased that you reminded me it's tomorrow where you are - now I can post in the Gallery.

Thanks Benedikt - out of patience now!

Thanks Avereda - looking forward to seeing yours progressing :) 

She is done and in the gallery:

Thanks also to Phil ( @HP42 ) for kindly donating the kit - I hope I've done her justice.

Some shots not used in the gallery:

34717601761_1f42a54a11_z.jpg

34686603092_bc7cf1b1d3_z.jpg

34686602722_b62ffc6b40_z.jpg

34686601922_946f079182_z.jpg

Not sure what's next yet... several candidates in the stash - I'll see what grabs me in the morning (I should be so lucky, fnaar!)

• Like 11

Tremendous job Ced, and so quickly finished yet again! Ihave one of these relics in the stash, & I think it'll probably stay there now, not sure I can do it justice after seeing how good yours looks!

Another great thread ending in another cracking model! :thumbsup:

Keith

• Like 1

Oh, hello Ced. That looks really great. Love it :worthy:.  Just like ones in the old Revell catalogues of the 70th. :)

And the silver is decent flat. You worry too much about these things (as I do sometimes, till I'm fed up and look, what's in my stash. That usually helps a bit.) Cheers

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 1

Thanks Keith, very kind :) 

Thanks Benedikt - the silver did turn out OK under the satin coat but I still have the Silber on my shopping list! 

• Like 1

Good heavens :o!

He's finished! An absolute beauty again Ced :worthy::worthy: .

This one looks very good in the 'in flight' photo against your backdrop.

Very nice rigging indeed; you have a bit of a gift for this biplane business Ced :thumbsup2: 

This just goes to show what can be done with these timeless Frog kits in the right hands.

A nice tribute to Amy

:goodjob: 

TonyT

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CedB said:

Thanks Keith, very kind :) 

Thanks Benedikt - the silver did turn out OK under the satin coat but I still have the Silber on my shopping list! 

That's ok, but take a beer can with you to compare with it. It's worth it :)

• Like 1

Thanks TT, very kind :)

Cheers Benedikt, although a beer can in the model shop might be frowned upon!

45 minutes ago, CedB said:

Thanks TT, very kind :)

Cheers Benedikt, although a beer can in the model shop might be frowned upon!

Oh, just tell them something about Weißblech to compare the colours. Something good from the Sauerland,Germany.  Made in Solingen or so for Veltins in Meschede or Warsteiner (Warstein) and Krombacher (Krombach). Good beer factories and something near the Möhne-, Sorpe- Biggedam, which you all know .Cheers

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 2

Didn't get to watch that much of this one but always entertaining.  Oh and an nice model too.

My current review kit has been fighting me every inch of the way.  Will be happy to get it done and move on to something I want to build.

• Like 1

Thanks Benedikt :) 

Thanks Phil - sorry to hear that but should make for an 'interesting' review? :) 

Thanks Martin - you're very welcome :)