Airfix RAF Westland Sea King in 1/72

Over in diorama land I've made a start on this 

As I want the door open and crew looking out I've broken with my normal practice and gotten hold of a resin crew which are coming together nicely 

IMG_5154_zpsx1befzo9.jpg

Unfortunately the kit interior (test run just so I could figure out the positions on the diorama) looks rubbish and the instruction colours seem really wierd (flouro orange seats and an emerald floor anyone?)

IMG_5158_zpsj3stwpih.jpg

Guided by the thread below and some of the current beautiful WIPs of Sea Kings I'm going to try and smarten this up a bit so that posing it with the door open doesn't expose a blank cavern

Edited by LostCosmonauts
Fickleness

Some progress after judicious application of stretched sprue, scrap polystyrene sheet and repurposed decals

IMG_5159_zpsbpm1mcjb.jpg

After a lot of squinting at interior shots and musing about exactly layout I reached the conclusion that it is bloomin' dark in there and the doorway will have two crewmen obscuring a lot of the angles so just to crack on and try for the right impression. A Milliput raft and couple of black first aid kitbags will probably see the interior busy enough in all the bits you can see through the door and windows

1 hour ago, perdu said:

I got away with one chap in an orange suit filling the hole/door on my Wessex

You'll be fine with that

Looks rather tasty already

👍

I just went and read that Wessex thread - really nice work and a heck of a labour of love in the refurbishment. Just bought an old Matchbox Wessex so will have to look your thread up again when I get to building that (especially about the shape & size of the intake on the nose)

• Like 1

Thanks, you are very kind

I think the nose part on Matchbox's Wessie is a travesty so you might want to look at how I tackled it on my HC2, other opinions are equally valid. ☺

The HC2 was one of my earlier Britmod'ler efforts so its quite a long way back but there's a pic in my Wessex group build offering, green it was...

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1

Some more little bits and pieces added

IMG_3579_zps9e7nxlre.jpg

... and how much of that can be seen when the other side is put on?

IMG_3581_zpsof76a5zk.jpg 

IMG_3584_zpsm41cpbbd.jpg

Somewhere between very little and none

Oh well

Edited by LostCosmonauts
The vagaries of fate
  • Like 3

I certainly wouldn't waste any more effort on detailing the interior, judging by how little you can see around the guys posing in the door.  It looks busy and there is clearly something there - that's enough.

Is this the old or new Airfix kit?  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Is this the old or new Airfix kit?  

.It's the old kit. The new one is much more detailed inside and out.

You really can't see too much in there with two crewmen in the door (I did the same on my Apollo Old 66) so what you have will be fine. It's nice to see someone else tackling the old one!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

The seat and main cabin floor colours are correct: IIRC the seat cushions are intended to be used as additional crew flotation devices in the event of a ditching and therefore need to be eye-catching.  The cabin floor is covered in a green waterproof material which is also used for a dam across the cabin just aft of the radar operator's station to prevent water brought aboard by rescuees from getting into places where it's not wanted.  As others have said with your figures in the doorway you ain't going to see much inside.  What you've got looks pretty good though.

Just to confirm what @stever219 said re floor colour; the green waterproof thing is called a "sea tray", and without it you'd have all sorts of fun as water leaked into the boat hull - which contains the fuel system and some of the electrics.

• Like 2

Thanks for the advice folks

Precious little progress today but the windows are in, two halves together and my no patent applied for or pending approach to mounting this atop a perspex pole

IMG_5168_zpsub6vzdyf.jpg

2 little button magnets glued into the blanked off hole where the sonar that never was shouldn't go.

The big question. Are those two little things strong enough to hold it in place?

IMG_5169_zpsmibwfuiq.jpg

Yes indeedilydoodily - maybe two was even overkill

• Like 1

On 5/9/2017 at 5:21 PM, LostCosmonauts said:

IMG_3584_zpsm41cpbbd.jpg

I don't know how much you want to go mad on accuracy, but you might want to keep in mind that the HAR3 is like the HC4 in that the pressure refuelling point is just behind the main door, as opposed to underneath it.  I think that's what those two circles are trying to represent (though even the Mk.1, 2, 5, 6 & 7 only had one circle not two).

RAF Sea Kings are not my bag, so I have no photos - but Google Sea King HAR3 and you'll see what I mean.

• Like 2

@Ex-FAAWAFU duly noted and corrected, thanks

Build was rolling merrily along. I'd copied from other threads and inserted some fillets to help the fir of the engine intakes. Got the door rails, door, windshield fitted and cleaning up the MAC device (magentic anomaly creator) and...

... realised that I've thrown the tailwheel away

It had fallen off the sprue in the box so I'd stuck it on some masking tape and onto the box lid inside so it wouldn't go astray and when I've been tidying up I must have forgotten and assumed it was just a bit of stray tape

After some undignified searching through one bin bag I have to hold my hands up to the first self-inflicted SNAFU of this build and add a new tailwheel assembly to the scratchbuild list

Edited by LostCosmonauts
wonky spelling

• 4 months later...

Oops. In the Photobucket cerfuffle and some general real life hoo-haa I forgot I’d started this thread. 

Will upload some recent pictures but:

- tailwheel replaced

- rare earth magnet embedded in the underside to hold onto a mounting pole

- external paint done

- person who formulated Humbrol 69 hunted down and broken upon a wheel 

- decals halfway done. This is taking some time as they’re thicker than a big thick thing and stubbornly resistant to microset/sol

• 3 weeks later...