SC250 Practice bomb colour

FlyingBins

Hi, FlyingBins,

I guess (stress "guess") that the actual colour was the same, only that the stripes in between the fins would be in a different colour (explosive were Yellow, TMK) Could they have been in some sort of Blue?

Fernando

The ZC 250 Kg Practice Bomb, Smoke, is described in an American document (German Explosive Ordnance) as "bright green over-all". No identifying marks, as for 'live' ordnance, bomb type, fuse, explosive identifier etc., are mentioned.

If your German is up to it then ' L.Dv.8/g 4. Das Handwerkszeug für den Bombenwurf' may be a better source of information.

Cheers

Steve

41 minutes ago, Stonar said:

If your German is up to it then ' L.Dv.8/g 4. Das Handwerkszeug für den Bombenwurf' may be a better source of information.

Interesting document.  Identification colours for bombs are on page 19 but, since the publication is about what bombs and fuses to use for what purposes, it has nothing to say there about colours for practice bombs.  Can't say I've waded through all 61 pages though.

Strange that the article above doesn't mention either of the colours mentioned in L.Dv. 4200 “Die deutsche Abwurfmunition” of 1943 . 'Beigegrau' is identified as RAL 7027 for the AB series of bombs, and 'Dunkelgrau', anyone's guess what exactly that was.

It is a complicated topic, and I'm not sure that there are any hard and fast answers. The US document I quoted above makes the generalisation that bombs under 500Kg were dark green and those heavier were light blue, but then promptly contradicts this in the body of the report!

Bombs were certainly painted post production. There is a well known photograph of a Ju 88 (I think, from memory) carrying light coloured bombs externally, which have had the lower surface painted a dark colour, probably black, to match the temporary night camouflage applied to the underside of the aircraft.

Well, the Whitehouse article says that the ZC50 and ZC250 were most commonly Yellow 04 with a White 21 nose.  However, although the nose of this bomb isn't too distinct in the photo, it doesn't look white to me.  

Another thought, which others are welcome to shoot down if it's off beam.  This bomb is marked "Ub" for Uebung (training) and is carried on a Fw 190A prototype.  Is it possible that this is just a loading dummy rather than a true practice bomb (which was actually intended to be dropped and contained a smoke marker, etc) ?  In which case it could presumably be in any of the colours real SC250s would have been in.  (On the other hand see what Les Whitehouse has to say about ZC bombs being issued to aircraft companies for photographic purposes.)   

Edited by Seahawk

Hi thank's to help me, certainly the colors varied a lot, depending on the availability and the necessities, my request was of a general nature, in order to try to maintain a certain historical veracity.

I have the same discussion here and I found other info, in German, here