Mystery MiG-19

Greg in OK

I picked up a Russian make MiG-19 kit from E-bay figuring that it would be a reboxing of some tired old mold.

However when I checked the sprue I could not find a mold that matched the kit.

So I appear to have a bit of a mystery on my hands.

Does anyone know who made this 1/72 scale MiG-19?

IMG_6553_zpsbp7z6a7j.jpg

Greg in Oklahoma

Trying to call this "sth" a MiG-19 is like calling Super Mystere B2 a FJ-4 Fury...

It  even does not resemble the basic shape! In the past I have built perhaps all existing 1/72 MiG-19 kits (Heller, Bilek, KzP, ZTS/Mastercraft) and surely it is no one of them.

Perhaps it's an original Soviet product from early 60's, totally unknown to (or forgotten by) the modellers community.

Cheers

Michael

It's from an old soviet toykits factory. Not clear where it was, St. Peterburg (Leningrad) perhaps. I need more pictures from all the paperwork.

A MiG-15,, MiG-17 and a MiG-21 came from the same company.

It's only an old souvenir.

modelldoc

Many years ago (this was the 1960s) a school friend had a penpal (ha!  remember them?) in the Soviet Union.  He managed to get hold of some unbelievably crude Soviet airliner kits.  This one looks a lot better so perhaps it wasn't quite that old.

The plastic stand looks like a copy of the old Airfix style.  Perhaps that's a hint to the date.

2 hours ago, KRK4m said:

It  even does not resemble the basic shape!

Yes, I didn't think that the model was overly accurate.  However I do think they did better with the kit than Aurora did with theirs.

http://www.boxartden.com/gallery/index.php/Kit-Images/Aurora/Aurora-Mig19-960

Greg in OK

2 hours ago, modelldoc said:

I need more pictures from all the paperwork.

I will see if I can get them uploaded.  Photobucket is giving me fits again.

Greg in OK

Really, it is considered that this original production is from the USSR.
 A series of these models consisting from MiG-15, MiG-17, MiG-19 and MiG-21 was issued in the Soviet Union, in the city of Leningrad at the plant designated as a "MailBox 51". In Soviet Union MailBoxes was opened name military factories.
(AREA 51???  %) :):) These models were done by the aliens imprisoned in the Russian GULAG???!!!! %) :):):)  )  
Everything that is known of them - MiG-15 represents the bad copy 
Airfix or Polish PZW or all same Italian Coma. Whether other models from something were copied or were own developments so far it wasn't succeeded to establish.
On memoirs of user Vladimir1:100 here:
http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_51010_start_120.html
He saw somehow in Russian Internet-auction "Hammer"   MiG-19 of a certain Lion - is similar on Leningrad, up to the drawing on a box (only the sky orange instead of blue), but what is the firm whose she - isn't aware, the seller didn't give information. 
Generally this model if is collection value that more as a toy of the Soviet era, but not as model copy.
 More fully about models of own Soviet development  it is possible to read in article here:

http://scalemodels.ru/articles/7095-saga-o-krugozore.html

and also on 21 pages of discussion of this article at a forum:

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic.php?t=51010&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

B.R.

Serge

Serge:

Thank you, you have solved the mystery.  The first link you gave, although it showed the MiG-17, also showed the exact same box style and the instruction sheet matched right down to the font.

I actually bought the model for the box art, I loved the box top and it was worth what I paid just for that!

Thank you again, Serge and everyone else that chipped in.

Greg in Oklahoma (Hey!  What is a Russian toy/model doing way out here in Oklahoma??)

Edited by Greg in OK

10 hours ago, Greg in OK said:

The first link you gave, although it showed the MiG-17, also showed the exact same box style and the instruction sheet matched right down to the font.

Video about MiG-15 on russian:

B.R.

Serge