1/48 Eduard BF110C- Who doesn't like a shark mouth? FINISHED

I like it Ant, the colours look fine to my eyes but even if they are slightly different to the "official" RLM colours, who's to know or care!?. She looks right. I can't remember the last time I used a brush to paint a model, I know it used to be the norm of course but these days I have to admire those who can still do it!! 

Max 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, galgos said:

I like it Ant, the colours look fine to my eyes but even if they are slightly different to the "official" RLM colours, who's to know or care!?. She looks right. I can't remember the last time I used a brush to paint a model, I know it used to be the norm of course but these days I have to admire those who can still do it!! 

Max 

Thank you max, I'm relatively happy with it, it's going to look different once weathered and flat coated. 

The shark mouth decal is fun :rage:

• Like 1

On 6/22/2017 at 20:37, Mottlemaster said:

Good luck with the Sharks Mouth .dont let it bite you !

Forgot to ask . How did you get on with part G46 :boom:

You mean this massive part on the controls for the observer? 

20170622_210515_zps4yxa6ord.jpg

It was an interesting few minutes from clipping to sticking 

EDIT no use a why that's reposted sorry guys 

Edited by Antb

Good evening shark mouth fans 

I used to be a fan of a Sharkmouth, as the title of this build suggests, however these past few days have made me realise that although they look great they are more trouble than they are worth. 

Where did I get to? Ah yes. Stickers. We have stickers on. 

20170623_091224_zpsqad2rwqq.jpg

20170624_191047_zpscwnc6vui.jpg

The shark mouth was a nightmare. I placed the two pieces on the nose applied copious amounts of decalfix and left to set overnight. 

I came down the next morning to find this 

20170623_091248_zps7jvufmyo.jpg

Now eduard provide you with a white piece to infill the gap but this was just ridiculous. 

Fortunately there was also some red decal from one of the other versions that I was not using so I used that for some infilling. Cutting off the smallest pieces I in-filled thus so 

20170623_193210_zpsvfqiqi5o.jpg

Again decalfix was my friend and this was smothered on over a full day at intervals to try and blend in. 

We are left with this 

20170624_191059_zpslwijpu5n.jpg

It's not great and its absolute rubbish but it will have to do. It's the best I can make of a bad job. Ive rubbed it down as much as i can but it won't sit any better.  

Moving on, the aircraft got a flory black wash with most of this being wiped off leaving a touch of grime and some panel lining. But not too much 

20170624_203442_zpsficjajdv.jpg

20170624_203449_zpsgsdjxemt.jpg

20170624_203504_zpsfgqxxbjh.jpg

I've started on the undercarriage but have hit another snag. Part of the gear has snapped off the sprue with only half of the part floating round in the box 

Im.going to have to try and scratch the bit but I really can't be bothered much more tonight so will pick up in the next few days. 

Happy as always for any feedback enjoy the rest of your weekend! 

Edited by Antb
  • Like 6

Hya Ant.

I have just caught up with your build!:giles: :frantic: what a rollercoaster eh.

The fit problems are usually a blessing in disguise when you start Modelling, learning new tips and trick to overcome dreaded plastic nightmares in the future. You are doing a cracking job here and as always the most important part, you seem to be having fun.:) excellent recovery on Sharky. The paint work is great too, with a hairy stick to boot.:clap2: but trust me if you have the inclination get an airbrush kit. I brush painted at the start and although sometimes needs must it's all about the silver wonder. Good luck with the UC.

all the best.

Johnny.

• Like 1

What Johnny said :ditto: .

I'm still learning and these things really are sent to try us. A break away, sometimes starting a new kit; it's all able to be solved in the end. I have some stalled models in the 'Drawer of Doom' for when, hopefully, I have learned enough to overcome whatever the obstacle was. Around nine part built, stalled, models :o!

On the Shark mouth. It's an infamous issue in 1/72 for the Airfix Bf-110. I didn't know that it was also an issue in 1/48 for this kit. I don't (yet, but I hope I will) build in 1/48 for reasons of space; maybe experienced 1/48 modellers can comment on this suggestion;

There may be a fairly inexpensive aftermarket decal remedy if you don't like the way the existing Shark

mouth looks:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/252771803033?_mwBanner=1

Other sellers are available ;).

Techmod also do a sheet with a shark

mouth on it but my Google-fu is not strong today :D.

A lovely model you've made there, don't give up, worth persevering :hobbyhorse: !

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 2

I've only just found this thread - so apologies for the late arrival.  I have the same kit in the stash and having read the parts count - 255 - when it arrived - it scared me to death and went to the back of the cupboard.

Having read through your 'journey' I am in awe of your perseverance - WELL DONE THAT MAN :thumbsup2:

Like your good self - I am still very much at the learning stage and the question I am asking myself is...

If this kit is a 'duffer' - actually a quite expensive duffer - do I get it out of the way now - fight the flaws and call it a learning experience and then bin the result - or...

Keep it at the back of the cupboard until I have a few years of experience under my belt - it makes your head spin :mental:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, gazza l said:

Sorry to see you are having more problems, it's a nightmare when the decals go wrong, but to be honest it's all looking pretty good... don't give up at this late stage.

gazza l

Thanks gazza. It's taking some work but I am enjoying the build which always helps. I won't be beaten by ththe kit, I don't give up easily so going to get back at it and wrestle it into submission. To be honest there's not much more to do, UC, props, the greenhouse and fitting the odd bits here and there so it's done. 

Surely nothing else else can go wrong with the kit. 

4 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Hya Ant.

I have just caught up with your build!:giles: :frantic: what a rollercoaster eh.

The fit problems are usually a blessing in disguise when you start Modelling, learning new tips and trick to overcome dreaded plastic nightmares in the future. You are doing a cracking job here and as always the most important part, you seem to be having fun.:) excellent recovery on Sharky. The paint work is great too, with a hairy stick to boot.:clap2: but trust me if you have the inclination get an airbrush kit. I brush painted at the start and although sometimes needs must it's all about the silver wonder. Good luck with the UC.

all the best.

Johnny.

Cheers for the feedback John, really appreciated. I am enjoying the kit, I must be really strange but there's just comething about it and how it's all coming together. 

You are are right in what you say. Kits like this mean you learn and what's the point of a hobby like this if you don't learn as you go. I guess it's all to easy to build kits that go together really smoothly, as I must admit I have done and did up until this point, but a challenge and a project is what keeps us entertained. 

I, feeling really pleased with myself so far, I do have some modelling skills after all. 

Re the airbrush it's been something I've been wanting for a while. I almost bought one at the end of last year but got looking and over awed with the options I waited until earlier this year by which time family priorities took over. One is in the pipeline at some point and have to admit I'm rather looking forward to getting up and running on that front. 

3 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

What Johnny said :ditto: .

I'm still learning and these things really are sent to try us. A break away, sometimes starting a new kit; it's all able to be solved in the end. I have some stalled models in the 'Drawer of Doom' for when, hopefully, I have learned enough to overcome whatever the obstacle was. Around nine part built, stalled, models :o!

On the Shark mouth. It's an infamous issue in 1/72 for the Airfix Bf-110. I didn't know that it was also an issue in 1/48 for this kit. I don't (yet, but I hope I will) build in 1/48 for reasons of space; maybe experienced 1/48 modellers can comment on this suggestion;

There may be a fairly inexpensive aftermarket decal remedy if you don't like the way the existing Shark

mouth looks:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/252771803033?_mwBanner=1

Other sellers are available ;).

Techmod also do a sheet with a shark

mouth on it but my Google-fu is not strong today :D.

A lovely model you've made there, don't give up, worth persevering :hobbyhorse: !

Best regards

TonyT

Hi tony, thanks for the kind words and for the encouragement. 

Im not one to give up easily and when I start something it gets finished! As I say I'm enjoying the kit and while ever that's there I'm going to keep going. If that ever drops off that's when I will stop, but the finish line is in sight for this build. 

Thanks for the link too. The sharkmouth doesn't look "too bad" and I can live with it as it is. My models aren't going to win any awards and I could always use the reasoning that the Luftwaffe painted it in this fashion... :D seriously though, most of the issues are on the underside and when in the cabinet it won't really be seen. 

I will know for the the next one I build.... wait... what did I just say? Another one.... :tmi:

2 hours ago, BIG X said:

I've only just found this thread - so apologies for the late arrival.  I have the same kit in the stash and having read the parts count - 255 - when it arrived - it scared me to death and went to the back of the cupboard.

Having read through your 'journey' I am in awe of your perseverance - WELL DONE THAT MAN :thumbsup2:

Like your good self - I am still very much at the learning stage and the question I am asking myself is...

If this kit is a 'duffer' - actually a quite expensive duffer - do I get it out of the way now - fight the flaws and call it a learning experience and then bin the result - or...

Keep it at the back of the cupboard until I have a few years of experience under my belt - it makes your head spin :mental:

Welcome to the thread! 

Don't be out off, if you fancy a challenge this is the kit for you. The detail in the kit is great which kind of makes up for the fit issues. Well, it doesn't but I have to keep telling myself that. 

If if you learn  anything from my build don't do the sharkmouth, pick another one! That black one seems very appealing at this stage :D

give it it a go and share your progress with us, be good to see how you get along with it and whether there's anything I could have done differently or better. 

Enjoy the the rest of the build! 

• Like 5

Shark mouth decals are impossible to get on perfectly: a thin, brittle 2D shape wrapping seamlessly around a relatively sharp compound curve is like Boris Johnson trying to convince the public that he knows what he's talking about!  You've learned a few valuable lessons with this build not least of which is steer clear of shark mouths! (and possibly Eduard Bf110 kits!!) 

Max 

PS Airbrushes are great but there's quite a leraning curve to using one effectively. :)

• Like 1

When i said in my preious post ,not to let the sarks decals bite you i didnt realise how much of a chalange they would be .

I chickend out with my build and painted them on which is always an option if you absolutly like /want a sharks mouth .I used the decals to help make a masking tape mask . Much easier to do with an airbrush but if you used a rattle can for the white and when 100% dry mask off the teath and paint the red by hand .

• Like 1

14 hours ago, galgos said:

PS Airbrushes are great but there's quite a leraning curve to using one effectively.

Well, I'm not sure that I use one particularly effectively, but I've just started and it was easier than I expected. Once I played with the pressure enough to get a feel for what's too high, I've found it easy to lay down coats that are as good as my best effort with a hairy stick. I've not tried mottle yet, but I think it's achievable with practice. I'm using Vallejo Model Air through a cheap (£10 ebay special) Chinese brush, with air from a cheap compressor (no tank). With practice and some better tools (especially the compressor), I can see there's a lot of scope for improvement, but the speed and quality of my results have been an eye opener. Above all, those colours that I found difficult-to-impossible with a hairy stick (bright red, yellow, white) are achievable. I've gone from being a slightly intimidated sceptic to an enthusiast in the space of two models, and it's opened up new arenas for my modelling.

• Like 3

Great work, you've done a fine job! Should I ever get mine out of the loft I'll avoid the   Sharks mouth. You're more than welcome to mine if you want to try again? 

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments guys. 

An airbrush is on the cards at some point once I'm in a position to get the best I can. I could get a cheap brush and compressor but I will be double buying and having to learn on a new brush. I'd rather buy the best I can and use that long term. 

I will I'll be getting one at some point though that's for definite. 

Havent done anything on the build since the last update. Should get so,e time at some point this week when I can add all the smaller bits and get that lovely canopy all masked up and painted. 

Thanks, as always, for the continued interest and comments

4 minutes ago, Ade said:

Great work, you've done a fine job! Should I ever get mine out of the loft I'll avoid the   Sharks mouth. You're more than welcome to mine if you want to try again? 

Cheers for the offer Ade. I will put this one down to experience :-) 

Evening guys and gals. 

Haven't done much on the 110 since the last update but have managed to get a little bit more done. 

I've added some small bits and pieces all that's left now really is the UC and the UC doors and I think she's about done. 

Surprisingly, or not, there have been issues with the small stuff. 

Start off with the Aileron mass balances and the L shapes thing that I never know what it's called! The hole was too big and the mass balances just didn't want to stick. The detail of those are actually quite poor compared to the rest of the kit 

20170626_201420_zpsdksbvsob.jpg

Both wings got the balances fitted and painted. 

Next up nice and easy the attachments for the exhausts. Quite simply they don't fit they're too long and fat. Some work needed but whilst sanding one it snapped in half. I took from this it would cause more work so stuck them in and squashed them down best I could figuring that they would be hidden by the exhausts anyway once attached. 

20170626_203709_zpsbrdw255y.jpg

20170626_203927_zpsyijpqcg2.jpg

20170626_204719_zpsyknebmic.jpg

And here we are with the exhausts fittes. These were the most fiddly ridiculous bits out of the entire build so far. Sticking each one on individually is a nightmare! They need tidying up but here they are in crude form. 

20170628_204104_zpscrztasbi.jpg

20170628_204134_zps97hxthst.jpg

The canopy got masked ready for painting. This went really well but it's a shame that there aren't masks for the inside of the canopy. 

I had to mask the inside with white tack and stick down so paint didn't get on the insides. 

20170628_194946_zps7vbe5x28.jpg

And having been under coated 

20170628_201409_zpsxo8vtukz.jpg

These have since been painted with the main parts having been attached to the aircraft. 

I have built and painted the props and their spinners. I've attached these and guess what... yep.... the fits terrible. 

Pictures to follow of those as haven't got them strangely. 

We keep going the end is in sight 

• Like 6

Ah what! 

They were there last night! What's going off? 

So just been onto.photobucket wonder if this is why accounts are being suspended. 

• Free account : Each individual Member gets one free account that provides 2 GB of free storage or space available for your original photo files, or videos under 10min. The free account does not allow any image linking or 3rd party image hosting. If a free account Member exceeds their Content Limit, their account will be immediately suspended and they will need to become a “Paying Member” (defined below) in order to continue accessing their account. You can upgrade to a Plus account at any time.

EDIT: yep. Just been onto the link provided and here we go 

http://photobucket.com/p500/

Edited by Antb

24 minutes ago, Mozzy19 said:

Same thing happened to me Ant. I've just switched over to postimage and it works a charm.

Sean

I will give it a try thanks mate 

Right guys 

Here's my update again this time with pictures that should be visible. 

Evening guys and gals. 

Haven't done much on the 110 since the last update but have managed to get a little bit more done. 

I've added some small bits and pieces all that's left now really is the UC and the UC doors and I think she's about done. 

Surprisingly, or not, there have been issues with the small stuff. 

Start off with the Aileron mass balances and the L shapes thing that I never know what it's called! The hole was too big and the mass balances just didn't want to stick. The detail of those are actually quite poor compared to the rest of the kit 

20170626_201420.jpg

Both wings got the balances fitted and painted. 

Next up nice and easy the attachments for the exhausts. Quite simply they don't fit they're too long and fat. Some work needed but whilst sanding one it snapped in half. I took from this it would cause more work so stuck them in and squashed them down best I could figuring that they would be hidden by the exhausts anyway once attached. 

20170626_203709.jpg

20170626_203927.jpg

20170626_204719.jpg

And here we are with the exhausts fittes. These were the most fiddly ridiculous bits out of the entire build so far. Sticking each one on individually is a nightmare! They need tidying up but here they are in crude form. 

20170628_204104.jpg

20170628_204134.jpg

The canopy got masked ready for painting. This went really well but it's a shame that there aren't masks for the inside of the canopy. 

I had to mask the inside with white tack and stick down so paint didn't get on the insides. 

20170628_194946.jpg

And having been under coated 

20170628_201409.jpg

These have since been painted with the main parts having been attached to the aircraft. 

I have built and painted the props and their spinners. I've attached these and guess what... yep.... the fits terrible. 

Pictures to follow of those as haven't got them strangely. 

We keep going the end is in sight 

• Like 5

Evening guys 

Right time for a little update. I'm ready for varnish apart from the undercarriage doors she's now almost done. 

When it comes to varnish were 110s a satin or Matt finish? 

Sadly the issues have continued look at these wheels! I've got to the point where I'm just fed up or sorting stuff out so I've left these as they are and just slapped some paint and a wash on. 

20170701_151028.jpg

20170701_151022.jpg

20170701_151016.jpg

The undercarriage keeps collapsing as the attachment points within the wheel wells are, well, absolute pants. 

More pictures to follow when she's done. 

I've had enough if this build now if I'm honest and just want it done. I was enjoying it but the amounts of problems are frustrating. Nothings ever simple with this kit which is a massive shame 

Ta for now 

• Like 2

Right chaps bit nearer to completion. 

Matt coat went on and this happened 

20170702_203551.jpg

And 

20170702_203604.jpg

All decals had a gloss coat on top of then and this has only happened to the letter codes on the fuselage. Everything else is absolutely fine. Weird....

Black paint needed. Not what I was hoping for 

Fixed the undercarriage, again. And here's where she's at. Not the best pics for now but they will do. 

20170702_203518.jpg

20170702_203524_001.jpg

20170702_203534.jpg

20170702_204236.jpg

20170702_204208.jpg

20170702_204159.jpg

20170702_204120.jpg

20170702_204114.jpg

Undercarriage doors to go on and then we're ready for inspection  

I hate this build. :swear:

• Like 3

It looks good Ant. Top marks again for perseverance :o!

Single exhaust pipes. Good heavens. The last time I had to face that nightmare was a Roden 1/72 He-111 B.

If it's any consolation, I can assure you that that particular kit makes this one look like a Tamigawa. Nothing. Fits. But it's the only game in town. It's still in my 'slowly building over a number of years because it's driving me insane' drawer.

These had a variety of finishes after a while in the field; weather and location affecting them in different ways. The varnish really looks fine. It looks like the real thing. Nice masking on the windows; even with a mask, that looks scary on a 110.

I hope Eduard's 1/72 110 is less of a fight; I was hoping to invest in one :confused: .

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1