1/48 Eduard BF110C- Who doesn't like a shark mouth? FINISHED

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

I don't think it can be you. I have gone back and had a good look at the build again and it is clear that some of the parts don't even come close to matching up.

Martian

Thanks Martian. It does seem unusual for a modern kit to have so many issues. 

52 minutes ago, galgos said:

To assure you that it's the kit and not you, I've dug out some images from my model of the G4 which, incidentally I was reviewing for Scale Modelling Now.  As can be imagined, my review wasn't totally complimentary about Eduard's 1/48th Bf110!!

8zymUk.jpg

EoNxEe.jpg

29kGUf.jpg

Max

That is interesting Max. There are clearly issues aren't there, and not little niggly ones either. I assume the moulds are the same for the G and the C? 

Out of interest, how does the nose line up on your kit? 

Cheers 

• Like 1

There was, IIRC, a lot of discussion about the fit in the 110 Group Build, back in 2014/15. One thread I've spotted that may be of use (there are plenty more, this just seemed to discuss the nose and nacelle fits): 

• Like 1

I've read through my article, the lower part of the nose (as the photo shows) was less than perfect but not too bad considering the issues with the rest of the kit but my biggest disappointment was that I thought the upper nose cone would be removable then fit back into place over the gun bay, but no, it's either open or closed:

mE4VOG.jpg

Max

• Like 1

Alistair, Chris, max, 

thank you for the links and the pictures. 

Alistair, that sure is a radical way indeed! Love it. 

• Like 1

Hi chaps 

Right, here we go with more progress. Managed to get some time this evening whilst my youngest was having a snooze. 

Doubt I will get any time this evening as he's showing no signs whatsoever of wanting to go to sleep! 

Following on from the tail being held in place last night along with the wings, the gaps weren't too bad. 

I gave some thought to using shims but tried something a little different. Using some tape to protect the detail on the wings I ran this along the edge of the gaps and smoothed on some filler. The tape would protect the detail underneath when sanding and it worked quite nicely.

20170620_084853_zpszlzquyrz.jpg

20170620_084857_zpsuzxt2pve.jpg

here we are after sanding and tape was removed. 

20170620_152112_zpswrny4hfx.jpg

20170620_153812_zpsadwggfrc.jpg

It was time for primer to see what work needed to be done on those pesky seams. 

There was some work but surprisingly little. The work on the nose paid dividends and only a small amount of additional work was needed. 

I used the part of the closed canopy for masking as it was quite tricky to mask the whole lot with the open canopy in situ. 

20170620_154856_zpskit0iczz.jpg

The wing root joint. Quite good 

20170620_154902_zpsgtlzos5w.jpg

The other engine

20170620_154908_zpsdxkkqs24.jpg

The nose section which had a massive step 

20170620_154929_zpsyv6kp1d6.jpg

And the opposite side 

20170620_154941_zpsbsyasfcu.jpg

The rear of the observers position 

20170620_155226_zps264rqlzl.jpg

Panel line needed but blends in ok

Small bits of filler applied to the areas where more work needed. I deliberately kept this thin rather than just blobbing on. Technical tonight aren't I! 

20170620_173735_zps4wmb8kja.jpg

Sanded down and primer curing 

20170620_191024_zpsxt0tptfc.jpg

20170620_191032_zpsdtqih9kw.jpg

20170620_191041_zpso2cu4g8o.jpg

20170620_191109_zpsjqom75lo.jpg

Panel lines have been added to the engines and observers position. 

Next step RLM65. I know it should be 76 but 65 shouldn't look too different. I hope. 

Have a good evening guys

• Like 8

11 hours ago, galgos said:

Considering the "trauma" that you've been through she's looking pretty good!

Max

Thanks max. 

11 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Scrubbing up pretty well I would say.

Martian

Thanks Martian. She's scrubbed up even better this morning. Whilst the little one was sleeping the primer got sanded down and polished. Looks rather spiffing if I don't day so myself. 

11 hours ago, Mozzy19 said:

Not too shabby at all, everything considered. :thumbsup: 

Sean 

Thanks Sean. 

10 hours ago, Potato Pete said:

Coming on very nicely. I have one in the stash but have always been a bit intimidated by it. You seem to be wrestling yours into submission very successfully. Inspiration indeed.

Pete

Pete thank you. Appreciate the kinds words. It's the first kit I've tackled like this and it's actually really good fun. 

2 hours ago, Christer A said:

Your'de doing good work! It looks good in primer.

Despite all the fit issues, I feel encouraged to start mine. I must be bonkers :daydream:

Do It! Do it! Do it! Bonkers is good!!! :party:

15 hours ago, Antb said:

It does seem unusual for a modern kit to have so many issues. 

This kit was a new tool in 2007... and the problems of fitting are the same for every kit of 110.

But I see that you make a very good work... you won the battle!  :clap: 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, matteo44 said:

This kit was a new tool in 2007... and the problems of fitting are the same for every kit of 110.

But I see that you make a very good work... you won the battle!  :clap: 

Thanks matteo.

I have a query regarding colours for the upper surfaces and fuselage. 

The eduard guide shows 70 over 71 but these colours appear to be completely different out of the bottle compared to the guide. 

71 is dark green with 70 being black green. The colours seem much paler in  the eduard guide with the 71 being a grey green rather than a green green. 

Can anyone offer any advice as to what the colours should be please? 

Pics added. 

Ignore the scruffyness of this it's only had a quick paint to check the colour 

20170621_151056_zpsez9vovpk.jpg

And the eduard guide 

20170621_151106_zps9vmpd5aw.jpg

Google shows all sorts of different variations of green so that doesn't really help. Or does it? 

Edited by Antb
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, galgos said:

This from John Vascoe's seminal work on the Bf110C,D and E:

8DZII6.jpg

TEIsPq.jpg

Now whether the RLM colours that you have match is another matter!

Max

That's great Max , thank you. 

I've bit the bullet and given her a coat of 71. Think it might be ok. If I don't like it I will just spray her black and do the other version instead! 

• Like 1

From this picture it appears that you have been a bit too eager filling gaps, thus making the same mistake as the reviewer in Scale Aircraft Modelling when this kit was first reviewed. The gap between the nacelle and the flap should be there, otherwise the flap will not be able to move.

20170619_204652_zpsxsesmlrg.jpg

HTH,

Jens

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jens said:

From this picture it appears that you have been a bit too eager filling gaps, thus making the same mistake as the reviewer in Scale Aircraft Modelling when this kit was first reviewed. The gap between the nacelle and the flap should be there, otherwise the flap will not be able to move.

20170619_204652_zpsxsesmlrg.jpg

HTH,

Jens

Hi Jens 

Yes I realised a bit too late to dig the filler out. It's towards the rear of the wing anyway so I can live with it. I will know for the next one I build.  

Thanks for the comments though. 

Cheers 

• Like 1

The things you can get done when you're off work for a week, your son is off nursery for a week and decides to sleep in and then has an afternoon nap for 2 hours! 

We have paint. 

As usual for me, there are quite a few photos. Hope you enjoy 

So I decided to give the 70 and 71 a try just to see what it would cone out like. I don't think the colours are the most accurate in the world but there's so much variation it will pass. 

Here we are with the 71 applied by hairy stick and marked out ready for the 71. 

20170622_084044_zpsbjufoeup.jpg

The 71 actually took around 5 coats to get a solid colour.

And on with the 70

20170622_140557_zpsourcin2g.jpg

A bit closer 

20170622_140603_zpszlfcfqui.jpg

Tape removed which leaves really nice demarcation of the camouflage patterns with surprisingly very little "leakage"

20170622_143348_zpsomgnxdi2.jpg

A few little areas needed touching up mostly on the 65 but nothing major. Seems to have helped me going over the tape with a cotton bud to really get the tape down especially into the panel lines. 

The nose area which is to be covered with the Sharkmouth if it plays ball

20170622_143452_zps2amzng7v.jpg

Underneath showing the 65

20170622_143507_zpsaql8h8rs.jpg

She's been sat like this all afternoon waiting for stickers 

20170622_182559_zpsvmgeyykt.jpg

The wife is making a cake tonight for a wedding and if I can get my son to bed I can get cracking with the stickers. 

Exciting or what! 

Update will probably come tomorrow as I'm flying through the build this week.

Not so much next week, back to the grind.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, galgos said:

It's not too late I reckon Ant, you'll be able to get a razor saw there to cut out the filler.

Max

Hi max 

I guess I could but I'm conscious of the whole nacelle pinging open. I had to super glue the back of the nacelle to keep everything in place. 

I will have a think to see whether it's do-abke and worth the effort. 

Chicken, me? Too right ;)

50 minutes ago, Mottlemaster said:

Good luck with the Sharks Mouth .dont let it bite you !

Forgot to ask . How did you get on with part G46 :boom:

You mean this massive part on the controls for the observer? 

20170622_210515_zps4yxa6ord.jpg

It was an interesting few minutes from clipping to sticking :huh:

• Like 1