1/48 Eduard BF110C- Who doesn't like a shark mouth? FINISHED

8 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

That pit looks the business! Really great paint work. Bravo. :yahoo:

Cheers John, 

good to to see you back in model land :D

4 hours ago, Christer A said:

Magnificient looking cockpit!

Eduard Etch is just lovely, especially when you don't need to bend or fold it!

Thanks Christer. 

Yes it's nice that hardly any of the PE needs folding. Other than the belts there hasn't been anything. 

I have to admit I've left a couple of small bits off that you can't really see such as the handles on the cannon ammunition drums. Painted black they don't stand out and they're tiny so left them off. 

The PE does add a lot to the model. Think the profipack kits are worth every penny. 

• Like 3

Evening 

Bit more progress to report and some fit issues which I don't know if it's the kit or me. 

Following on from the completion of the tub the next step was to add the cover to the observers position. It wasn't a great fit 

20170613_212201_zpsdrykvvtf.jpg

A little better the other side but there was quite a step at the top. Time to crack out the filler. Now unfortunately there was some really nice tiny rivet detail along the panel lines and there was no option but to obliterate it. I tried the best I could and you can see the result below in a pic or two further on

This was the initial fit from the other side 

20170613_212209_zpsbpu7kxse.jpg

On with the filler 

20170613_212823_zpsofgzzcgv.jpg

Out with the sanding stick and we had this 

20170614_145049_zpscatsbicn.jpg

20170614_145056_zpsqwroef6m.jpg

I slapped some paint on to check what it looked like and to be honest I was surprised that it looked ok. Wouldn't have thought it from the state but it was. 

After that came the nose guns and the nose itself. Quite why eduard have moulded the nose seperate rather that it being an actual part of the fuselage I will never know. It just doesn't fit. Or is it me again? 

The fun bit first. We have this 

20170613_212216_zpsmauvivhg.jpg

Which was fiddly but went together ok. This then turned into this 

20170614_160906_zpsj87hbvge.jpg

While the wash was drying And before the gun assembly went into the bottom of the nose I tried a dry fit. 

AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!! 

20170613_212752_zpsrsc9i1ar.jpg

20170613_212756_zps7ratwfyv.jpg

20170613_212809_zpske4ogork.jpg

I was hoping that because the gun tray hadn't been put in yet it hasn't stretched to the right shape. Wrong.... 

20170614_161734_zpsbhpuoxyh.jpg

20170614_161741_zps71qqlyre.jpg

20170614_161748_zpsgewzce2t.jpg

And I'm now in a position of filling the gaps and trying to fill the step, sanding, and repeating. I will get there. 

20170614_214808_zpsc6clnel9.jpg

20170614_214813_zps8bejemiu.jpg

I don't think part of the nose assembly should be showing through the cannon ports but it wouldn't fit in any other way.... 

20170614_214821_zpszyxvy4gr.jpg

It looks a lot rougher than it is and I've been using a fine sanding stick! Looks like I've been at it with a cheese grater. 

Anyway, that's where we are at as of this evening no work now for a few days as am working away and it's my son's birthday on father's day so we have a busy weekend ahead. 

If you've read this far thanks for your patience I hope you're enjoying the uodates. 

I'm enjoying the build it's good fun and it's coming together really nicely. Have to admit though, I wasn't expecting these issues on the kit as everything had gone together really well so far. 

Wings next. Should be fun. Bet they don't fit! 

Edited by Antb
  • Like 5

Looking good Antb.

I've heard there are a few dodgy areas on these kits, I think you've just found them... thank god for filler and sanding sticks I say!

The other area of concern, so I'm told, are the engine nacelles, but don't let that worry you. :worry:

gazza l

• Like 1

Ouch!

Lots of fit issues there.

I would have added plastic shims to the under side for the observers cover, so that I could sand it to fit, without destroying all those lovely details.

Somewhere on the interweb there was a tips & trix for the Eduard 110E, I'll see if i can dig it up later on tonigth.

Good luck with the nose! Lets hope the big sharkmouth covers the worst...

• Like 1

Hi Christer 

Thanks for the reply and the information. 

're the shims in still pretty new to modelling really so learning as I go so it certainly is something to think about in the future rather than using filler. 

I did a quick test of the wings and there's some serious gappage so I will probably have to fill with some plastic card. 

Thanks again really appreciate your input 

• Like 1

On 6/14/2017 at 23:38, gazza l said:

Looking good Antb.

I've heard there are a few dodgy areas on these kits, I think you've just found them... thank god for filler and sanding sticks I say!

The other area of concern, so I'm told, are the engine nacelles, but don't let that worry you. :worry:

gazza l

Hi gazza 

Sadly I've heard that too but let's see what happens that's the next stage as I left the wings setting when I went away. 

Hey guys. 

Engine nacelles. Nothing more I can say other than what the jeepers eduard were thinking. 

Here's the pics. 

This is an initial dry fit. Not bad 

20170619_122222_zpsdr7o5rdh.jpg

Terrible

20170619_123452_zps4wappt2w.jpg

And a test fit with the other side on. 

Ridiculous 

20170619_125436_zpszrefonz6.jpg

I decided not to glue the nacelle Yves together before fitting and I'm glad I didnt. They would never have fit. 

Out with the sanding stick removing part of the leading edge to get a better fit. 

Well worth the effort in the end I think 

20170619_130041_zpss4dnggdw.jpg

They're as good as they're going to be and only a small amount of filler should sort the gaps 

20170619_130052_zpsuqkltcbz.jpg

I've left them to dry for now so next up more filling and sanding. 

• Like 3

You're finding all the horrible issues with this kit! I thought it enormously disappointing when it was first produced because I was expecting a "state of the art" Bf110 to replace the ancient Revell/Monogram kit, but given a choice (and I'm talking G4s here) I'd still go for the latter.

Max

• Like 1

Evening guys 

Another small ish update this evening. With the wife away with work and the kids tucked up in bed I had every intention of doing a serious amount of modelling. 

However the combination of the heat and more fit issues have meant I've given up and will fight another day. 

I did get some work Done, however. 

First up the engine nacelles got completed and the wheel wells got their details added. 

Here's the nacelles before the wheel wells got detailed. Just realised I haven't photographed the wells something I will do when I've painted and shaded. 

20170619_204652_zpsxsesmlrg.jpg

I will wait and see what work is needed once the primer has gone on as it's difficult to tell at present. 

The tail 'fin' got added. Absolute nightmare. The attachment point doesn't lock into the pieces they just sit together and they just keep dropping hence the amount of tape holding them in place. 

20170619_214430_zpsshy3mdhw.jpg

And we have wings 

20170619_215512_zpstgxpwjqh.jpg

Given how low the wings are it's easier to sit them on the desk and wait for the glue to set rather than try and support the wings with the fuselage. 

Once again the fit isn't great. Haven't looked at the underside yet due to the weight of the wings and the fit but if it's like the top there will be gaps to fill. 

I'm thinking of a plastic shim as @Christer A suggested. Assume that this is just a piece of plastic inserted into the gaps and sanded to fit so as not to affect the detail of the surface? 

20170619_215517_zpsz7sb3li9.jpg

20170619_215520_zpsvyfktni8.jpg

20170619_215530_zpsfohcmj3e.jpg

And there she will stay until tomorrow Evening when I can hopefully get more done and ready for priming. 

Thank you if you are taking an interest in the build. Despite the issues it's enjoyable and I hope im doing a decent job of it. 

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, galgos said:

You're finding all the horrible issues with this kit! I thought it enormously disappointing when it was first produced because I was expecting a "state of the art" Bf110 to replace the ancient Revell/Monogram kit, but given a choice (and I'm talking G4s here) I'd still go for the latter.

Max

Thanks Max 

I'm not sure how much of the issues are my modelling but yes there's a few for sure. 

It is disappointing but who needs an easy build? Ha 

Well despite the fit issues your having it seems to be coming on nicely.

Just out of interest I done a dry run of my G-4,s nacelles this evening and they don't seem too bad, just a large gap

at the rear where they meet the flaps.

gazza l 

• Like 1

I'm certainly following along. I offloaded one of these kits (can't remember which mark, now) when I discovered the nature of the issues, but I've clung resolutely on to a C-6, so I have all this to come, and your work will be an invaluable guide (thanks!)

• Like 1

Yes, thin strips of plastic. Like these:

01.JPG

That can be inserted into the nasty wing rots and will form a basis for a smoother join.

You still need some filler though, but it helps bridging the gap.

Keep at it! You'll bet this kit in the end!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, gazza l said:

Well despite the fit issues your having it seems to be coming on nicely.

Just out of interest I done a dry run of my G-4,s nacelles this evening and they don't seem too bad, just a large gap

at the rear where they meet the flaps.

gazza l 

You're a lucky chap Gazza if that's the case! To be fair it wasn't a massive job to sort the issues out it's just annoying as the kits great, it's just some things really let it down. 

7 hours ago, amblypygid said:

I'm certainly following along. I offloaded one of these kits (can't remember which mark, now) when I discovered the nature of the issues, but I've clung resolutely on to a C-6, so I have all this to come, and your work will be an invaluable guide (thanks!)

Thanks mate. Appreciate your comments 

5 minutes ago, Christer A said:

01.JPG

That can be inserted into the nasty wing rots and will form a basis for a smoother join.

Keep at it! You'll bet this kit in the end!

Christer that's fab thank you. 

I know it might seem obvious but I've never used shims with builds before and always just gone filler. It's probably the easiest and simplest thing in the world but I'm learning as I go with this build and i am really enjoying it. 

I'm enjoying the challenge so much that I'm even considering going into scratch building bits when I start the 1/24 Spitfire I got last weekend. There's a challenge. 

I'd build another eduard 110 kit just maybe go for a different version. 

Thanks again chaps 

01.JPG

Keep at it! You'll beat this kit in the end!

Edited by Christer A

I've got this kit half built in the loft. I got to the engine nacelle point and gave up, you're doing a great job with yours- keep at it! 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Ade said:

I've got this kit half built in the loft. I got to the engine nacelle point and gave up, you're doing a great job with yours- keep at it! 

Thank you @Ade

Hope you pick it up again and we get to see the finished article 

You are overcoming the fit issues well but I am rather surprised that they are there at all given that this is a relatively recent Eduard kit.

Martian

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

You are overcoming the fit issues well but I am rather surprised that they are there at all given that this is a relatively recent Eduard kit.

Martian

Thanks martian. It does make me wonder whether it's more me than the kit. 

To be fair I don't think it is but it does make me wonder somewhat. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Antb said:

Thanks martian. It does make me wonder whether it's more me than the kit. 

To be fair I don't think it is but it does make me wonder somewhat. 

I don't think it can be you. I have gone back and had a good look at the build again and it is clear that some of the parts don't even come close to matching up.

Martian

• Like 1

To assure you that it's the kit and not you, I've dug out some images from my model of the G4 which, incidentally I was reviewing for Scale Modelling Now.  As can be imagined, my review wasn't totally complimentary about Eduard's 1/48th Bf110!!

8zymUk.jpg

EoNxEe.jpg

29kGUf.jpg

Max

• Like 3