1/48 Eduard BF110C- Who doesn't like a shark mouth? FINISHED

I must say how i'm in awe of your perseverance . If Heineken made bf 110's they sure wouldn't be anything like the Eduard kits   One last push and you can cut the umbilical cord that keeps it on your work bench .

• Like 1

Hey guys 

You're really too kind. I appreciate your comments they are keeping me going. 

I must get it finished.... I must get it finished. 

@TonyTiger66 that build sounds fun. I don't envy you for a second with that one sir.  

Why on earth do manufacturers think single exhausts are a good idea? I mean c'mon they're hard enough to sand down to get rid of mould lines whilst on the sprue! 

But it doesn't end there does it, oh no. Clip then off get them before the carpet monster does, get rid of the fluff that's all over then after being on the floor then you have to try and stick the  on using tweezers and then you have to try and work out how they fit.... 

Can you tell I had fun with them? 

Hopefully I'm going to get her done either tonight or tomorrow. Side windows and gear bay doors and we're done. 

The issues with this kit really are a shame. The details great throughout and it does look nice. Just frustrating and hobbies should be fun. This aint so. 

Anyway, thanks again guys. 

• Like 5

I've been following this from the sidelines as I was doing a 110 roughly the same time.

I really admire your determination with this - starting with the wrong sprues...and then it seems to have got worse.

well done sir!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

I've been following this from the sidelines as I was doing a 110 roughly the same time.

I really admire your determination with this - starting with the wrong sprues...and then it seems to have got worse.

well done sir!

Thanks lawzer 

I mentioned earlier getting the kit done tonight. Not gonna happen because guess what. More issues. I'm seriously considering just giving up now as it's ridiculous. 

Went to finish the undercarriage assembly, one last supporting bit to stick in. This is the part. There are two of them. 

20170703_203716.jpg

This happened. 

20170703_203721.jpg

Fine I thought no problem they won't be added as I'm not trying to repair it. 

Onto finishing the canopy. 

The pilots canopy top part doesn't fit in the open position so I cut the tabs off and laid it flat down. Guess what. That doesn't fit that way either. I've just glued it best I can. 

Side windows for the pilots canopy again. Can't be difficult can they.....

There are no tabs or locating points so it's also glue on the sides of the fuselage and hold in place until dry. 

Except now it's holding the PE framing has started to come away. 

I have never been this frustrated about a model ever. I just want to launch the thing. 

Im leaving it now as its reslly annoying me to the point where it's not going to get finished and that's never happened with me. 

I did say if build an eduard kit again. I'm not so sure now. 

I'm off for a stiff drink. 

• Like 4

Oh dear Ant, what a catalogue of woes.....I remember it well and the huge disappointment because the kit promises so much and delivers so little.  I managed to finish mine but I vowed at that point never to build another Eduard kit, full stop.  The Dragon/Cyberhobby Bf110 is a much better proposition though the instructions have (well documented) errors in them.  I'm not recommending it but if I was in your position I'd bin it!!! :)

Max

• Like 1

Oh god!! What happened? It was going so well. I couldn't see your middle set of pics. (Just had a link to a jpg) but the ones near the end looked ok to me. I got stung by Photo Bucket too. A years worth of threads to re instate :huh:.  You're so close now, I'm sure it can't be that bad. Good luck with the deep breaths kid.

Johnny

• Like 1

On 7/3/2017 at 22:27, Lawzer said:

Stick with it. You've put so much work into this kit!

I know and I'm not one that usually gives in. It will get finished at some point. 

22 hours ago, galgos said:

Oh dear Ant, what a catalogue of woes.....I remember it well and the huge disappointment because the kit promises so much and delivers so little.  I managed to finish mine but I vowed at that point never to build another Eduard kit, full stop.  The Dragon/Cyberhobby Bf110 is a much better proposition though the instructions have (well documented) errors in them.  I'm not recommending it but if I was in your position I'd bin it!!! :)

Max

You're not kidding max when you say dissppointment. The kit should be fab but the issues just take away from the good stuff. 

The detail in the kit is great it looks the part so it's a massive shame. 

I have to admit a fee days ago I would have considered binning it. But I can't it will go in the cabinet as a learning never to build another eduard 110 ever again. Ha ha . 

I've had my eye on the eduard 1/32 p47 for a while but am.now doubting whether I want it given the issues with this kit. I'd hope they weren't on that one but it's making me think. 

9 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Oh god!! What happened? It was going so well. I couldn't see your middle set of pics. (Just had a link to a jpg) but the ones near the end looked ok to me. I got stung by Photo Bucket too. A years worth of threads to re instate :huh:.  You're so close now, I'm sure it can't be that bad. Good luck with the deep breaths kid.

Johnny

Thanks Johnny. 

Which pics do you mean? I can repost then for you if you want to see them? 

I've seen you've started reinstating your pics. Don't envy you mate but they're too good not to! 

3 hours ago, Christer A said:

And the kit keeps fighting back :(

That's just not fair!

But you're too far along to quit now, especially since it looks this good!

Cheers Christer. 

I've put the kit on a shelf for the past few days and the rage is starting to subside somewhat. It will get picked up again as undercarriage doors only are left and then that's it. Done. 

• Like 3

On 05/07/2017 at 7:37 AM, Antb said:

Thanks Johnny. 

Which pics do you mean? I can repost then for you if you want to see them? 

I've seen you've started reinstating your pics. Don't envy you mate but they're too good not to! 

The pic after the PhotoBucket ones but guess what? Now they're there. Holy moly I see what you mean, looks like you had a real nightmare. Still she looks pretty solid and well worth some tlc to bring her in line.

Ive just finished uploading everything to Flickr. I'll be patching my threads for the next few weeks no doubt.

Thanks for the compliment. Right back atcha bro. B)

John

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 1

Right. I plucked up patience to complete the build tonight. 

Turns out the title of my opening post who doesn't like a shark mouth is slightly ironic. I actually dont. Ha ha 

Anyway, here's a few pics of the finished product. It's definitely not the best and its not winning any awards. It was a nightmare but it's done and I'm proud of myself for finishing it. 

The left undercarriage leg is refusing to stick properly so I'm going to have to be super careful with it. 

On to the pics. 

20170705_223016.jpg

20170705_223021.jpg

20170705_223027.jpg

20170705_223039.jpg

20170705_223044.jpg

20170705_223056.jpg

20170705_223101.jpg

20170705_223115.jpg

20170705_223121.jpg

20170705_223137.jpg

20170705_223150.jpg

20170705_223203.jpg

20170705_223206.jpg

20170705_223221.jpg

• Like 10

I will get some proper photos taken at some.point over the next few days. 

These are just to show I've finished and not binned the kit! 

Edited by Antb
  • Like 1

You've certainly beaten that into submission! Nice result :thumbsup: 

If the landing gear collapses, you could always make it into a small maintenance diorama.

Sean

• Like 1

Well done for completing it, I've felt your pain over the last few weeks, but to be honest it's turned out very well. Considering you brush painted it looks as good as any airbrushed finish.

I was keen to get my G version started but I think I will put it on the backburner for a while!

gazza l

• Like 1

Good job Ant, you know it's not your best model I'm sure but that's got more to do with the nature of the kit than your skills, which for sure will have improved as a result of the challenges thrown your way!

Max

• Like 1

I've got the Eduard Bf 110D on the shelf which may well be the next to get some attention when time permits. I've seen the problems you've had with the C version which probably differs  only with the fuselage/tail area so red flags on all the fit issues are much appreciated. I've built 3 of the Fujimi Bf 110 versions in various guises and was looking forward to seeing how much better Eduard did the job. Better in some ways, but questionable in others perhaps .As many others have said, the results you've achieved look great.

One point that is probably Eduard's issue really is the way the ring and bead sights on the MG 15 are positioned. I checked in the Bf 110D instructions which show them positioned as you've got them. Most of the contemporary photos I've seen show the bead on the inner mount and the ring on the mount point nearest the muzzle. My Fujimi Bf 110s are now old enough for the MG 15s to have lost that delicate detail but here's a pic of a Ju 87B I made which shows the MG 15 as I think it would have been on most Bf 110s, Ju 87Bs and even the heavier bombers.

34592610602_fb5e21610a_b.jpg

Apologies for the used and abused look with sun-faded camo. I think it was probably how most Stukas looked after some time in the field. You'd have thought Eduard would have got it right historically but I guess we're all human. Could be I'm mistaken of course, but check some historical pics like those in John Vasco's books. Cheers.

Paul

• Like 3

On 7/5/2017 at 23:08, Mozzy19 said:

You've certainly beaten that into submission! Nice result :thumbsup: 

If the landing gear collapses, you could always make it into a small maintenance diorama.

Sean

Thanks Sean. So far so good she's still standing! 

On 7/6/2017 at 07:48, amblypygid said:

It's a great outcome from a "challenging" kit, well done for seeing it through despite it all.

Thanks ambly 

On 7/6/2017 at 09:01, gazza l said:

Well done for completing it, I've felt your pain over the last few weeks, but to be honest it's turned out very well. Considering you brush painted it looks as good as any airbrushed finish.

I was keen to get my G version started but I think I will put it on the backburner for a while!

gazza l

Cheers gazza. Im sorry I haven't been able to tempt you to start the G! It is a nice kit though it's a shame it has so many issues. 

On 7/6/2017 at 09:17, Lawzer said:

well done - that's turned out not too bad at all!!!

Ta mate 

12 hours ago, galgos said:

Good job Ant, you know it's not your best model I'm sure but that's got more to do with the nature of the kit than your skills, which for sure will have improved as a result of the challenges thrown your way!

Max

Thanks max. To be honest there's a few bits that probably was me such as the canopy glazing. I don't think the masks were stuck down as well as they could have been despite me going over them well enough with a cotton bud. Or so I Thought! 

Glad she's done though. She looks great from 6 feet away. 

1 hour ago, Pauls9cb said:

I've got the Eduard Bf 110D on the shelf which may well be the next to get some attention when time permits. I've seen the problems you've had with the C version which probably differs  only with the fuselage/tail area so red flags on all the fit issues are much appreciated. I've built 3 of the Fujimi Bf 110 versions in various guises and was looking forward to seeing how much better Eduard did the job. Better in some ways, but questionable in others perhaps .As many others have said, the results you've achieved look great.

One point that is probably Eduard's issue really is the way the ring and bead sights on the MG 15 are positioned. I checked in the Bf 110D instructions which show them positioned as you've got them. Most of the contemporary photos I've seen show the bead on the inner mount and the ring on the mount point nearest the muzzle. My Fujimi Bf 110s are now old enough for the MG 15s to have lost that delicate detail but here's a pic of a Ju 87B I made which shows the MG 15 as I think it would have been on most Bf 110s, Ju 87Bs and even the heavier bombers.

34592610602_fb5e21610a_b.jpg

Apologies for the used and abused look with sun-faded camo. I think it was probably how most Stukas looked after some time in the field. You'd have thought Eduard would have got it right historically but I guess we're all human. Could be I'm mistaken of course, but check some historical pics like those in John Vasco's books. Cheers.

Paul

Thanks for the info. 

I just wanted the kit done in the end and wasn't too concerned about accuracy to tell you the truth. The kit was such a frustration I couldn't find the enthusiasm  to check stuff out. 

I admit it doesn't look quite right but given the issues with the rest of the kit I can live with it. 

Thanks for the information though it is helpful! 

• Like 2

I understand your pleasure at seeing a lengthy and complicated build completed and I felt a bit churlish with my "helpful" info. Your whole post will serve as a detailed aide memoire for me when I get round to working on the Eduard Bf 110D. Well done in any case - it really looks the biz. Cheers. Paul

• Like 2

...brilliant job!!!

Damn you Antb ;)

I have this in the stash and put it to the back after your problems...

..BUT...

...after your fantastic build recovery - I'm considering 'getting it out of the way'

CONGRATS ON A GREAT RECOVERY - U R A * (STAR)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pauls9cb said:

I understand your pleasure at seeing a lengthy and complicated build completed and I felt a bit churlish with my "helpful" info. Your whole post will serve as a detailed aide memoire for me when I get round to working on the Eduard Bf 110D. Well done in any case - it really looks the biz. Cheers. Paul

Hi Paul 

The information really was helpful so thanks for taking the time to post it up. 

36 minutes ago, BIG X said:

...brilliant job!!!

Damn you Antb ;)

I have this in the stash and put it to the back after your problems...

..BUT...

...after your fantastic build recovery - I'm considering 'getting it out of the way'

CONGRATS ON A GREAT RECOVERY - U R A * (STAR)

Thanks mate you really are too kind. 

Looking forward to your WIP post ;)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Antb said:

Hi Paul 

The information really was helpful so thanks for taking the time to post it up. 

Thanks mate you really are too kind. 

Looking forward to your WIP post ;)

I'm sorry to say that there is zero chance of a WIP on anything from me...

I always see a WIP as a chance to learn from someone who can teach me a trick or two - which you have here...

The chances of me teaching anyone anything useful are nil - I'm really a newbie - who just aspires to the work you have just put in on this mammoth build.

Congratulations on a fine save - worthy of Gordon Banks!!!

• Like 1

Don't worry about the 1/32 P-47, that's a Hasegawa tooled kit with a smattering of Eduard extras.

Though the Hasegawa kit has its own issues, principally the need to adjust the fit of engine/cowl assembly to front of fuselage (as it comes, you end up with it too high or too low - can't recall which). Sites like LSP have covered the fix...

Good work on the 110 as well. I think all Eduard's earlier kits are over engineered and the detail aspiration outstripped the moulding technology they had. Newer kits like the 109Fs and Gs are much more assembly friendly.

Matt

• Like 1