1/48 Eduard BF110C- Who doesn't like a shark mouth? FINISHED

1 hour ago, BIG X said:

I'm sorry to say that there is zero chance of a WIP on anything from me...

I always see a WIP as a chance to learn from someone who can teach me a trick or two - which you have here...

The chances of me teaching anyone anything useful are nil - I'm really a newbie - who just aspires to the work you have just put in on this mammoth build.

Congratulations on a fine save - worthy of Gordon Banks!!!

I never thought I would be able to teach anyone anything from posting up my builds. I'm a newbie myself really, I have some modelling experience and I like to think I do alright.  It's nice to share progress and it gives a good focus to get the build going at a good pace. The fact I've been able to help is great! 

12 minutes ago, Mattlow said:

Don't worry about the 1/32 P-47, that's a Hasegawa tooled kit with a smattering of Eduard extras.

Though the Hasegawa kit has its own issues, principally the need to adjust the fit of engine/cowl assembly to front of fuselage (as it comes, you end up with it too high or too low - can't recall which). Sites like LSP have covered the fix...

Good work on the 110 as well. I think all Eduard's earlier kits are over engineered and the detail aspiration outstripped the moulding technology they had. Newer kits like the 109Fs and Gs are much more assembly friendly.

Matt

Cheers Matt. That's good news re the 32 P47. May still have to pick one up at some point. 

I do quite fancy the idea of a110G, I must be mad. 

1 hour ago, Antb said:

I do quite fancy the idea of a110G, I must be mad.

If Dragon did the 110G I'd say that would be the way to go, but they have never gotten around to it (in 1/32 either). Monogram/Revell's suffers from undernourished engine nacelles but is eminently buildable... maybe cross kitting the Revell with a weekend edition Eduard G (for nacelles) would be the way to go? Or just wait for Dragon to come up with the goods...

Matt

• Like 2

Bravo Sir.:clap2: After all the ups and downs she turned out rather splendidly.  Hell on earth she is really rather BIG eh. I was looking at the Airfix new tool the other day. I might be tempted after seeing what you've done here. Well done on getting her past the finishing line.

whats next? 

:whistle:

johnny (no pressure) :innocent:

• Like 2

Ant, if you fancy building a G, either the G2 or G4, the Revell/Monogram kit is the only way to go other than Eduard's G4!  It's very out of production but makes up into a marvellous representation of the marque.  Yes, as Matt said above the engine nacelles are too slim, the spinners slightly the wrong shape and the prop blades a bit meagre but still looks very much like a Bf110G2/4.  Cutting Edge used to make a conversion set to address the problems mentioned above but they are now as rare as hen's teeth.  You can usually pick one up on e-bay if you're patient.

Max

14 minutes ago, Mattlow said:

If Dragon did the 110G I'd say that would be the way to go, but they have never gotten around to it (in 1/32 either). Monogram/Revell's suffers from undernourished engine nacelles but is eminently buildable... maybe cross kitting the Revell with a weekend edition Eduard G (for nacelles) would be the way to go? Or just wait for Dragon to come up with the goods...

Matt

I shall wait I think. I've got some kits to build in the stash first and my eye on a couple at the moment. So waiting won't hurt. 

4 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Bravo Sir.:clap2: After all the ups and downs she turned out rather splendidly.  Hell on earth she is really rather BIG eh. I was looking at the Airfix new tool the other day. I might be tempted after seeing what you've done here. Well done on getting her past the finishing line.

whats next? 

:whistle:

johnny (no pressure) :innocent:

Cheers john. I will get some.pics this weekend against a 109 and a hurricane so you can see. It is quite sizeable. 

As to what's next, well a couple of easy kits await. 

1/72 Italeri short stirling

1/24 airfix Mk. Vb (the US spit boxing)

1/24 airfix typhoon

What would you go for? B)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Antb said:

I shall wait I think. I've got some kits to build in the stash first and my eye on a couple at the moment. So waiting won't hurt. 

Cheers john. I will get some.pics this weekend against a 109 and a hurricane so you can see. It is quite sizeable. 

1/24 airfix typhoon

Easy kits??? :huh: I'm edging toward the spit or Typhoon. The tiffy I'm guessing will be less hassle fit wise but..... easy? You's crazy brother.

Good luck, I'll look out for posts.

point the new link from here so i don't miss out. B)

Johnny

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Easy kits??? :huh: I'm edging toward the spit or Typhoon. The tiffy I'm guessing will be less hassle fit wise but..... easy? You's crazy brother.

Good luck, I'll look out for posts.

point the new link from here so i don't miss out. B)

Johnny

Crazy indeed. None of the 3 are easy kits are they. 

I'll have a think and will most certainly link it up for you. 

Cheers John 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Antb said:

Crazy indeed. None of the 3 are easy kits are they. 

I'll have a think and will most certainly link it up for you. 

Cheers John 

Thanks! And happy choosing. 

12 hours ago, Antb said:

1/24 airfix typhoon

Are you a sadist?? Or should that be masochist? ;)

i bought the 1/24 spitfire when the works had it for 30 quid.  Opened the box (childhood dream). Took one look and stuck it up on ebay....

And going by the number of build vids etc on the tiffy.......

anyhoo, best of luck fella! :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

Are you a sadist?? Or should that be masochist? ;)

i bought the 1/24 spitfire when the works had it for 30 quid.  Opened the box (childhood dream). Took one look and stuck it up on ebay....

And going by the number of build vids etc on the tiffy.......

anyhoo, best of luck fella! :)

I'm getting to the stage in my modelling where I want projects with detail rather than "quick" ish builds. 

These one are going to see me through for some time and I can invest some serious time and effort into them. 

The 1/24 spitfire is going to be a challenge but the kids got it me for father's day so I'm going to give it a good go. I might even look at scratch building some stuff which I've never done before so should give me some new skills. 

• Like 1

The Airfix Spitfire is perfect for learning detailing skills.

1. It isn't very detailed.. :)

2. What is there is generally accurate and shapes are very good..

3. There's lots of info and detail shots on the net to guide you

4. Have a look on Large Scale Planes website (http://forum.largescaleplanes.com) and you'll find a couple of builds where it has been detailed

Matt

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Mattlow said:

The Airfix Spitfire is perfect for learning detailing skills.

1. It isn't very detailed.. :)

2. What is there is generally accurate and shapes are very good..

3. There's lots of info and detail shots on the net to guide you

4. Have a look on Large Scale Planes website (http://forum.largescaleplanes.com) and you'll find a couple of builds where it has been detailed

Matt

Cheers matt. 

ive never really looked into detailing before so this is what drew me to the kit. Gonna be a good one. I think I know what my next kit will be.... 

2 hours ago, Antb said:

ive never really looked into detailing before so this is what drew me to the kit. Gonna be a good one. I think I know what my next kit will be.... 

If you want to continue the German WW2 theme I can highly recommend Revell's 1/32 Bf109G6 in 1/32 scale. I'm building one right now in the Messerchmitt Bf109 STGB; it's been an interesting and trouble-free build, simple yet challenging to get the best out of it, and the kit is pretty cheap (in fact mine was free!).

Max 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, galgos said:

If you want to continue the German WW2 theme I can highly recommend Revell's 1/32 Bf109G6 in 1/32 scale. I'm building one right now in the Messerchmitt Bf109 STGB; it's been an interesting and trouble-free build, simple yet challenging to get the best out of it, and the kit is pretty cheap (in fact mine was free!).

Max 

Funny you should say that I've had my eye on it. Might see if I can smuggle one in the house without SWMBO noticing.... 

• 2 years later...