Salvador Corsair soccer War camo quesiton

i love so much the Salvador Fg-1 corsair with that tropicla weathered camo,this is the best pic ive found probably taken after the Soccer War vs Honduras was ended,as seen the national insignia with the X and the plane probaby near to be scrapped

but i really try difficult find decent pics of the camo scheme on the upper surfaces

any help appreciated

92629-1.jpg

Edited by Davide Calzolari
  • Like 1

I can't help directly with the paint pattern but this machine was still reported airworthy as of 2011.  Here is a link to some more information:

http://www.warbirdregistry.org/corsairregistry/fg1-92629.html

It started life as BuNo 92629, then to El Salvador, then back home to the States.

Using any of its three identities might help in your search, and Google image search turns up some similar pictures, worth a try.

Edited by RJP
  • Like 1

Can recommend those decals. Apply beautifully. I've built the white one, am summing up courage to build and paint the camouflaged one. My freehand airbrush skills not quite there yet! Am practicing on a Caudron 714 in Finnish markings for now....

01.jpg

• Like 5

I don't have any decent picture showing the upper surface of the wings, but the upper surface is partially visible in this picture. The wing upper surface were painted in the same irregular camou pattern as that of the fuselage.

0000158.jpg

I'm posting some other color pictures for your reference.

0000159.jpg

0000158_3.jpg

0000158_2.jpg

Jun in Tokyo

https://www.flickr.com/photos/horaburo/albums

• Like 2

Buy the Aztec decals if possible, they have all info you need.

Some of the FAS corsairs during the 100  Hour war where a mix of different planes, that doesnt make it easier! 

First off: the yellow bands on the cowling, fuselage and wings where added AFTER the war. 

Second! Only 5 corsairs flew during the war, FAS 202,204, 215, 219 and 220.

Third...

Before the corsairs where re painted in camouflage colours they where ethier painted Dark navy Blue or light Grey. 

As said, some planes where a mixed bird with parts from other birds, like a fuselage with dark Blue underside and light grey wings...

Hope it helps a bit, you should really get the Aztec sheet ;)

- Mikkel

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Buy the Aztec decals if possible, they have all info you need.

Some of the FAS corsairs during the 100  Hour war where a mix of different planes, that doesnt make it easier! 

First off: the yellow bands on the cowling, fuselage and wings where added AFTER the war. 

Second! Only 5 corsairs flew during the war, FAS 202,204, 215, 219 and 220.

Third...

Before the corsairs where re painted in camouflage colours they where ethier painted Dark navy Blue or light Grey. 

As said, some planes where a mixed bird with parts from other birds, like a fuselage with dark Blue underside and light grey wings...

Hope it helps a bit, you should really get the Aztec sheet ;)

- Mikkel

It look you really study for the test Mikkel, All thats right

There was no patern scheme on any aircraft so that allow you some artistic creativity

Best modeling 

Armando

Hi there

Well I'm just returning to active modeling (before that only books and models collector) so let me say that Latin American Air Forces are more interesting than ever, also lots of books available and decals so if you need something specially in wonderful 1/72 scale contact me, so maybe I could help you a bit

Best modeling

Armando

• 5 months later...

Italian Intruder, a little bit late, but the scheme of the postwar salvadoran Corsairs (only two, FAS 215 and 220) was a very weathered tricolor scheme on the upper surfaces (Originally Dark Green, Medium Green and Dark Tan), with Light Gray undersides.  Yellow bands over/under wings and around fuselage and cowl, markings were pretty scarce, limited only to roundels on each side of the fuselage (NOT on nor under the wings, neither FAS lettering on/under the wings), and tiny white FAS letters and a/c number on each side of the tail.  Rudder was camouflaged (the one in the picture that you posted was a replacement part installed after it was sold in 1974), although there is one picture of FAS 220 showing a blue/white/blue rudder with what seems to be large repairs.  Probellers were black with yellow tips, spinners varied from white, to yellow, to black/blue.  Wheel wells had been long overpainted in the exterior color, probably a mixture of greens and light gray.  Wheels were greenish.  There were no numbers on the front wheel well doors as often mistakelnly represented.   No antiglare panel either.  Both 220 and 215 had rocket racks under the wings.  The only decals that you will need are the tail numbers and the two roundels, quite easy.  Aztec has them.

Marco

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Undersides were Light Gray.  Back a little bit in time, in 1968 the operational salvadoran Corsairs (FAS 202, 204, 215, 219 and 220) were camouflaged in three tone wraparound scheme.  During the war, ground troops / AAs wouldn't make the difference between a salvadoran camo Corsair, or a Honduran Dark Sea Blue Corsair, they all looked like a dark menacing thing approaching them.  Thus, one salvadoran Corsair was shot down by friendly fire.  Some time after that, nobody knows exactly how many days or weeks, the yellow bands were added on/under wings, fuselage and cowl.  Underbellies were still camo.  And then, some months later (again, who knows) the undersides were painted in a local mix of Light Gray, covering the two tiny roundels that were carried under the wings.   Whatever shade you see on the Light Gray undersides, is the results of heavyi weagthering and 4 years under tropical sun and rain (Corsairs were usually kept outside hangars, and as their operational use declined strongly after the war (FAS shifted to Mustangs/Cavalier Mustang II), nobody really cared.

Marco

• Like 1