Norwegian (Air Shuttle) 737-800s

Hello!

Being complete novice for modern (or any kind of) airliner modelling I have couple of questions of Norwegian 737-800s:

1. What red hobby paint to use? I plan to get Lima November decals so match to their red is requested.
  2. Are wings all grey (save leading edge) like Zvezda gives in their instructions? I have sat quite a many times in Norwegian 737-800 behind the wing window seat but have to confess I cannot say for certain if flaps were grey or natural metal. What grey is good for the wing?
  3. Colour for the flap track fairings?
  4. Is there any aftermarket resin parts for the satellite Wi-Fi antenas Norwegian AS uses? Or can anyone give dimensions etc.?

Any other tips modelling Norwegian 737-800 are welcomed.

Cheers,

Kari

Edited by Kari Lumppio
Should have had reading glasses on

I don't know a match for the red, but I do know that you can trust the recommendations that the instructions will make.

737-800 wings are overall Boeing Grey except for the leading edge. Zvezda's instructions are correct. Xtracolor makes a Boeing grey (X301). You may or may not be able to find it given that it's difficult to ship these days. The flap track fairings are also Boeing grey. A very close match match is Canadian Voodoo Grey FS 16515, which is available from Lifecolor acrylics.

Bra.Z Models offers generic satcom antennas. Look for them at the top of the Boeing page, for example. They might be what you need.

Thank You!

BraZ antennas do look a bit more angular than "Norski" ones, at least in the picture. I will look for the 16515 (Lifecolor or compare with Hu 147).

I guess Lima November instructions are more than shown on their homesite then? It shows only side views and decal sheets.

Cheers,

Kari

Edited by Kari Lumppio

Hi Kari,

I have recently made a Norwegian 737-800 using the Lima November decals

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235010170-1144-norwegian-boeing-737-800/#comment-2505708

and although I can't remember which red I used, the decal instructions recommend Xtracrylic XA 1217 (Rot RLM 23). They do also state that "Norwegian have used different shades of red, but most of them fade very quickly" so I wouldn't get too hung up on the colour.

One tip I can give is to use the Zvezda kit as it will save you having to fix the engines, winglets, upside down tail planes and incorrectly positioned cabin windows!

Cheers,

Ian

PS welcome to the world of airliner modelling!

Edited by Turbofan
added the ps.

Hi Kari,

As I have a "little" connection to these decals, I have an update on the red to use. My good friend

Jens Håkon Brandal built a 1/144 Norwegian B787 and won a gold medal at Telford with it. He used a

Tamiya spraycan. If I remember correctly (I'm on my oilrig now) it's TS-27. I used the same when I

built my 1/200 B787 and the colour looks perfect in my eyes. I used a straw and sprayed the colour

into an emty jar, then used my airbrush to paint the model.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Ruben

www.lndecals.com