Early Israeli Phantom decals

speedbird

Hey up....any F-4 Phantom or more specifically, Israeli Air Force Phantom experts able to recommend a 72nd scale decals sheet for an early Israeli F-4? I was thinking of using the old decals from the old Airfix kit but to be honest they look a bit boring. Were early Israeli phantoms really that boring and are the Airfix decals are authentic? If they are indeed accurate what unit and time period do they represent?

Hi, ???

Forget about airfix decals.

Hi Decal will do, nice and cheap, covering most squadrons but not before the war of 1973. But still you can use them for an early phantom from 1969/70 during the Attrition war.

The other option is Isradecal, very nice but expensive.

38 minutes ago, speedbird said:

They're from a later boxing

Ok, but which one?

Can't even remember any F-4E from airfix.

Any picture of the sheet, or the box?

Whatever, they must be too old to be accurate.

this one

Type%203%20MD%20F-4%20Phantom.jpg

Given it's a red stripe kit, it's late 60's/early 70's and the Phantom was then very much state of the art for the Israeli's, and they were pretty security concious, so pics were vetted, if not censored.

Some units have coloured tails, the Hi-decal has some of these.

• Like 1

Okay first off the Airfix decals show a non existing squadron,secondly the Isradecal set is for phantoms from 73 onwards until there retirement in the early 90s.I think your best opption would be to try the Hi-decal ones.Just to add the coloured tails only came about in the 82 Lebanon war and latter.

• Like 1

The kit I'm using is the Bilek kit which is I think the Testors/Italeri F-4/E/F/G Wild Weasel kit and it does have the leading edge slats...I was really hoping to do an F-4 from the Yom Kippur war

Edited by speedbird
Predictive text misbehaving

They doesn't look so bad, but I'm surprised by your choices, kit & decals, if your concern is accuracy.

better go for any Hasegawa F-4E, together with the Hi Decal sheet.

then you'll need some weapons, AIM-9D, AIM-7E, M117, ALQ-xxx, etc....

I was originally going to go with airfix kit, built as an E but after being advised against it on the grounds that the airfix kit can't really be built as an E, I went for a cheap kit that could be built to represent one...once that was decided I still intended using the Airfix decals but as they are fictitious, I'm now looking for alternative Israeli markings. It's turning out to be a bit of a struggle as I wanted to build it to represent an aircraft from the Yom Kippur war.. as for the airfix kit, that's now in line to be finished as an F-4B from the sundowners.. 

14 hours ago, iainpeden said:

You also need to check if your choice of a/c has unslatted or slatted wings - the Airfix one is unslatted.

And thin.  :)

Cheers,

Andre

There is the old Microscale 72-106 decal set which includes a Phantom, also includes a Skyhawk and a Mirage. Can't vouch for accuracy or period of the markings. Have this set in my stash.

DennisTheBear

2 minutes ago, speedbird said:

Bet they're rare has hens teeth too.. incidentally, would the early Israeli f4 from the Yom Kippur period have the long or short nose fairing?

Both short and long fairings were seen on Phantoms during the 1973 war.

Speaking of slats, a number of Israeli Phantoms had slatted wings during the war, as part of the aicrafts delivered through the Peace Echo IV program were in Israel before the war started and all the aircrafts from this contract had slatted wings.

Then there's 187... this was an aicraft used to test a configuration with fixed leading edge slats and served during the war. The configuration was non standard so I don't know what kind of modifications would be needed to reproduce this aircraft.

Decals: there is another option that may or not be easy: the Esci 1/72 kit included decals for aircraft 618. This was one of the original aircrafts supplied under Peace Echo I in 1969.  As such had no slats and the short gun fairing. The aircraft served during the Kippur War when was badly damaged by Syrian flak. The crew managed to fly the crippled aircraft over Israeli waters and then ejected, being picked up by friendly SAR soon after.

The problem with these decals is that they don't represent a slatted aircraft. In any case Israeli aircrafts had very little in way of markings, just national markings, the unit insignia and the individual numbers, once you have the national markings and a proper squadron insignia, you only need the number for a slatted aircraft and these can at worst be printed at home. It may be difficult though to find out which aircraft served in which squadron, as Israeli censorship has long been very tight on this kind of information.

The other potential problem with Esci decals of that vintage is that they may disintegrate as soon as they touch water...

Speed bird, I think I may have some spare Israeli decals in the spares box. Give me a couple of days to check the boxes. By the way, if the kit you have is a repop of the Italeri one and you don't want perfection - which given every phantom was hand built and therefore different to the point the wings off one could not be guaranteed to fit another one - is a bit subjective anyway it will look fine when finished.

On 2017-5-8 at 7:55 AM, speedbird said:

It's turning out to be a bit of a struggle as I wanted to build it to represent an aircraft from the Yom Kippur war.. 

I could send you some spare unslatted outer wing panels from a RoG F-4F. You could simply cut off the slatted Italeri / Bilek wing portion.

Presto - unslatted Yom Kippur F-4E. 

Cheers,

Andre

Hi Mike

I have found the remains of a Cutting Edge decal sheet with some numbers and a few squadron badges on. I can copy the intructions - which includes slatted and unslatted a/c as wel as one in SEA camo rather than the usual sand/brown/green.

I also have a few old Esci sheets with Israeli stars on. I'll give them a few coats of decal film before I send them but try out some of the spare stuff on the sheet first as it would be a shame if the decals disintegrate on dipping in water.

I've still got your address in my message box so just let me know and I'll post ithe stuff.

Iain