Record breaking Swift

Finally managed to get something finished after a long period of ennui, during which unfinished project have been building up around my workbench. So , here it is , Supermarine Swift F4 ,WK198 , this is the jet that attempted to beat the world speed record. The model represents the aircraft just before the record attempt , as the wing fences were removed for the actual record flights..  The model is a conversion of the 1/48 Falcon Swift FR5 , finish is from a Halfords rattlecan , Ford Riviera blue.

cd17f3bb-0e29-482f-bcf9-c550b8655f18.jpg

b6e23240-a49d-450b-9417-9626e178709e.jpg

8c01c00b-db9c-4047-a177-5924c7ae2165.jpg

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Jones
reloaded photos
  • Like 40

It looks fab!

The blue looks to be close enough.  I was lucky to see a piece of WK198 some years back and that blue is very close indeed.

5 hours ago, The Wooksta! said:

It looks fab!

The blue looks to be close enough.  I was lucky to see a piece of WK198 some years back and that blue is very close indeed.

Thanks Wooksta , the blue paint was left over from a Spitfire prototype conversion and was matched to the illustration on the dust jacket of my copy of " The Spitfire Story ", {  Looked right to me }.  Perhaps a Supermarine house colour,  wasn't there a Scimitar in a similar light blue finish ?

Andrew

That is a thing of beauty Andrew what a superb scheme too,the partially restored fuselage was at my local air museum

in Sunderland for a few year's.

Edited by stevej60

Very nice finish and a good build. How did you find the kit?, I built the Falcon 1/72nd MB5 many years ago when originally released (not in 200? as Scalemates suggest) and found it OK, apart from trying to get the interior to stay in place and I cannot remember where the undercarriage came from

Thanks everyone , really appreciate the positive remarks .It's a very nice kit actually , if built as intended it goes together well ,easier than some injection moulded kit I've made , also made easier by the inclusion of white metal undercarriage,  The only addition I've made apart from filler is a resin Martin Baker Mk2 ejection seat.

Andrew