1:144 Airfix DH Comet 4B BEA Scheme

Late to the party as normal but hopefully starting the thread will get me round to finishing this on time! I picked up this kit in the Wonderland Models Sale and it's being built alongside the Revell 787 hence some of the photos have them both in. (I think Boeing pinched the shape of the nose from the comet but more of that later.

Here goes then, here's the plastic

CFAB4D93-A8D9-415F-8331-D4CA79D2B079_zps

It goes together fairly quickly and I decided to close both the doors but there is scope for some interior detailing if you choose.

3438B5A1-7FA9-4F48-BB95-34C8540F87B3_zps

Airframe together, with its newer counterpart

6B07DA9E-B9C9-47A1-92D4-A562D588600B_zps

Ill try and get a better pic, but what do you think to the profile of the nose. Take into account this is De Havilland drawing office versus Boeing Super computer!

148D7E3E-A3B2-474D-B51E-852F5853FFD2_zps

Its now being masked and sprayed having sorted out the minor gaps and the seams, all in all it's gone together nicely. More to follow shortly, thanks for looking

Graham

Edited by Graham77
  • Like 3

Nearly out of the spray shop, just the red on the wings to go and a little smoothing down on the boundary between Rey and white....then the canopy and decals to fit in!

3EF2E859-342F-4746-A3E5-34B60B38DBBC_zps

• Like 3

Not that quick just very slow to post the pictures, I'll have some more pics in the next couple of days, it's nearly ready for decals now..... then the home straight, amazing what a week off work allows you to do.

Cheers

Graham

Couple more days off work and the decals are going on!

ED6B2B5F-82DD-4A37-B0CD-442FE8C011FE_zps

and the underside

A8E9626F-27FE-4972-838E-A747FFF85332_zps

Few more to go on then some paint to touch up and some gaps in the decals to fill, the tail underside for example. Then the wheels to paint and this one will nearly be finished. I take it all back its coming together very quickly.

Thanks for looking

Graham

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just use the current version of Klear... I'll get the name when I'm in the garage next. The kit is sprayed in Halfords plastic paints (Appliance gloss white, a random aluminium and colour matched Boeing grey) and humbrol gloss red from a spray can. Then use an assortment of citadel miniatures washes and metals to change some of the shades. I really want to get enough time to get the airbrush up and running, hopefully soon!

cheers

Graham

• Like 1

Nice job, looks great.

One tiny thing.. The main under carriage  door retracts back to closed after the under cart dropped and locked.

Thanks for showing.

• Like 1

I saw a mix of pictures, I ended up assuming what you said above bzn20 for working jets and then museum pieces seemed to have the doors down (were they held closed hydraulically maybe?). The geek in me would be interested to know. Decided on artistic licence for this one by having everything hanging down, just my personal preference.

cheers

Graham

Closed by Hydraulic power and held by Latch/claw/lock kind of thing. A sequence valve or something like the Hunter's Pressure relief/pressure relief valve special types. Its possible to have the doors open though for servicing/door removal by unlatching/unpin or in bolt. On the VC10 it was pulling one of the three Free fall lever/levers (nose,left and right mains) Can't remember the Comet's system, from 1978 ish .

There might be a Nimrod man on here who'd know for sure.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lovely model. I imagine there must have been quite a lot of filler and sanding on the way to get such a smooth finish - it really is immaculate. The earlier BEA scheme was much nicer IMHO. Just looking at that scheme brings the 1970s right back (shudder). Judging by your stash in the last picture, you seem to have pretty widespread taste in model genres too.

Regards,

Adrian