Hawk T2 or 'Why I nearly gave up modelling'

Hi Folks,

This is the build that nearly broke me, everything that could've gone wrong went wrong. I bought this kit on flea bay ages ago for a song. It comes with demonstrator or Australian AF schemes. I decided I wanted a Hawk T2 from Xtradecal's excellent 4 sqdn package....................this is where my problems began.

Looking at a T2 walkaround I saw that the wing fences on the kit were unlike those on the T2, so more daption and scratch building

the fuselage halves didn't fit well and required much filling and sanding to get a good fit........................then you find you should have fitted the tail pipe before closure :banghead:so you split your flawless work to insert it !!!

Undercarriage doors were also a major problem, they are too thick to fit together so I replaced with plasticard.

The final insult came when I went to fit the canopy, when the blast screen was fitted the canopy would not seat properly, hence the open canopy(showing the poor interior that wasn't meant to show :speechless:

Believe me this model nearly actually 'flew' on a number of occasions.

On the plus side I learned a lot and the supplied stencils were very sparse !!!

Cheers, All comments welcome

PS: I just noticed the tail fillet is wrong too !!!! :(

_DSC0013_2.jpg

_DSC0007_4.jpg

_DSC0006_6.jpg

_DSC0005_6.jpg

_DSC0004_5.jpg

_DSC0003_6.jpg

_DSC0002_5.jpg

_DSC0001_6.jpg

• Like 29

2 hours ago, Saddler said:

Believe me this model nearly actually 'flew' on a number of occasions.

Haha! I know the feeling. My Airfix Blenheim has also almost 'slipped the surly bonds of earth' on a few occasions...

But nice work on your little Hawk. The end result looks pretty good!

OH! and the Red lines on the sidewinders should be brown, and Sidewinders always have yellow caps on their noses when on the ground...............................!

Selwyn 

(Ducking for cover yet again and giggling!)

Seriously? A nice Build!

• Like 1

Brilliant model, one the best I've seen of that type.

Things go wrong, part of model making, some time's we are at fault or the kit leads us astray, it's all part the fun.

All by kits have at least one mistake, and most models do as well 😎

Very nicely done, especially after all of the problems that you had. One thing I have noticed is that the tailplanes have been put on incorrectly,....they should angle downwards rather than upwards,.....easily rectified by just swapping them around,

Cheers

Tony

Hi Saddler:

COngratulations for  this build and for reaching against wind and brave sea the finish line!!!

Even though with somany trouble, the finished result looks very nice, and now, for sure you are stronger than before that build. 

Thank you very much for sharing. 

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

21 hours ago, tonyot said:

Very nicely done, especially after all of the problems that you had. One thing I have noticed is that the tailplanes have been put on incorrectly,....they should angle downwards rather than upwards,.....easily rectified by just swapping them around,

Cheers

Tony

Even after posting it comes back to bite me !! Schoolboy error(this is my fourth Hawk) now corrected....see photo. Thanks for telling me.

23 hours ago, Selwyn said:

OH! and the Red lines on the sidewinders should be brown, and Sidewinders always have yellow caps on their noses when on the ground...............................!

Selwyn 

(Ducking for cover yet again and giggling!)

Seriously? A nice Build!

I'm drawing a line at changing the decals though Selwyn, I'll plead 'colour blind'(whilst remembering for next sidewinders!!!)

IMG_20170508_1125410491.jpg

• Like 3

A nice end result despite your problems. We all make mistakes, even after 50 years or trying to make decent models i still managed to leave out the bulkhead in the fuselage of the Beaufighter i am building at the moment, fortunately released my mistake before whilst still closing up the fuselage.

If you'd not told us about the fillet we wouldn't have noticed!  Thanks for the warning about the wing fences; that's one that I'd definitely have missed.  Your model looks very nice: what did you use for the black?  I can never get a result that good.

Hi Martin T,

I used a base coat of Alclad gloss black base then finished with tamiya gloss black through an Iwata neo airbrush.

Hi Saddler,

although I would never build a Hawk, I am impressed by your final result, which gives the lie to all the problems you faced.

Top marks for carrying on beyond and above the call of duty!

JR