1/72 A6M5 Model 52 Zero ATAIU SEA British markings

Hello all. I just finished the A6M2 Type 0 Model 52 Zero in ATAIU SEA (Allied Technical Air Intelligence Unit South East Asia) BI-05. This was a unique find when I was looking for something to complete for an RAF Group Build on another site. I like Japanese aircraft very much and was fortunate to to find decals for it from Rising Decals.

The kit is the Hasegawa kit and went together quickly and easily as most 1/72 Hasegawa kits do.

C7s3Bd.jpg

J0ENI6.jpg

Udh4DP.jpg

pN13tE.jpg

P7EJTL.jpg

w2tMjc.jpg

IqSUoM.jpg

• Like 44

Your model looks more realistic than it's model. Very nice and more.

Great choice of markings. Even if I like it, I always find it quite disturbing to see "foreign" roundels on a well known type (just a very personal feeling).

Edited by PattheCat
  • Like 2

Thanks Allan, PattheCat and Mike.

PattheCat, I feel the same way about the US Star and Bars. It seems especially disterbing to see an Allied plane in German markings.

• Like 1

Thanks Michael and Dennis The Bear.

Dennis, the weathering was easly doneby spraying an enamal silver base coat followed by a coat of AK Interactives "Worn Effects". I went over that with an Acrylic top coat of the appropriate color. Then using water and a stiff brush the acrylics eventually come off where you rub like thr hairspray method. Tape will also lift the acrylics but not nessarly where you want. 

Wow!  Looks perfect.

I was put off a little by the title of the post, but really glad I looked.

Excellent painting and weathering.  :clap:

ArmouredSprue, It started as one of the worst paint jobs I sprayed in a long time. My good AB was in the shop and the very basic one I used spit and the tip would continually clog.

Spaddad, thanks.

Kapam, I'm curious, what put you off about the title? I don't want to make the same mistake next time.

3 hours ago, Bitzer said:

Kapam, I'm curious, what put you off about the title? I don't want to make the same mistake next time.

No don't worry.  It is just that I find captured aircraft a bit of an oddity - perhaps because there are fewer of them and fewer extant photos.

You resolved that by including the authentic pics in your post.  No doubting it is a "real" replica when photo and model match so well.

:sorry:

• Like 1

No problem, that's good to know. I don't care much for what ifs. I post actual photos of the subject if I'm building off of them more to see if they match, in this case to show it was real. The RAF also had a JM2 Jack, which think I may build, a Betty snd a Sally.