1/48 Italeri D-5 Stuka propeller fit question

lesthegringo

Guys, I came to fit the propeller and spinner assembly onto the front of this model, only to find that the boss of the propeller itself sticks out through the back of the spinner in such a way that it holds the spinner backplate 1.25mm away from the front face of the engine cowlings. A look at all the drawings and painting guides show it to be flush fitting, yet this would leave a glaring gap

I've checked and double checked everything and cannot see that I have done anything incorrectly in accordance with the instructions. The prop is the right way round, the engine front face, cowlings and prop mounting spigot are all correctly placed, so the only conclusion I can draw is that I have to cut the offending 1.25mm hub back. The only other possibility is an unused part that could potentially go between the spinner and the front engine cowl face, but even this seems wrong, as it has it's own step

Has anyone else come across this, or maybe recognise what I have done wrong?

***Edit to add photo***

20170507_131241_zpsrccqispa.jpg

Cheers

Les

Edited by lesthegringo

I don't know if that is the cause of your problem but...

I haven't done this version of Italeri's Stuka, but I've done the G-2. When compared to reference photos, the engine mounts hold the engine too far from the bulkhead, pushing everything forward. I wondered what I had done wrong when I couldn't get the engine cowling to fit correctly and found out that may others have had the same problem.

Just clip it. I have had to do that with numerous models and not messed it up. Remember the old saying..."measure twice, cut once" this is about the safest "surgery" you can do. Because the part is already in place makes cutting the shaft with an Exacto #11 can be pretty difficult, so cut it with a sprue sniper then lightly sand the tip making a slight bevel at the tip so the prop slides on without problem. The other option is to use very small, thin pair of needle nosed pliers to hold and stabilize the shaft against the bulkhead whilst cutting with a razor saw or clipping with the sprue cutter. I have used bothe these methods, and out of hundreds of models built over my lifetime have only messed up once (I can't even remember what kit it was) so the prognosis for your situation looks good? The main concern next to cutting the shaft to the desired length is the stability of your nicely done model, you don't want to ham fist it and create damage and heartbreak. It is time to act Doctor L., so go forward with confidence. And good luck.

Cheers

So I first tried to use the 'extra' piece, cutting off the spigot diameter that was fouling, my reasoning is that I wouldn't screw up a critical part. Works perfectly, and if I'm honest think it is better using the extra piece; the spinner rear diameter is too small compared to the cowlings, and the extra piece is tapered and so gives a smoother line between the parts.

On the basis that the likelihood of anyone coming to my house will spot the issue being virtually zero, I'm going with that.

Puzzles me though, I've gone backwards and forwards through this and can't find any error on my part. When I think of it I also had to modify the tailplane struts because they were completely incorrectly shaped; they ere better when you used them on the opposing side to the instructions diagram, but they still were a mile off from fitting properly. And as mentioned above, getting the engine and cowling area together was a pain, with not very clear mountings for the cowling to fuselage areas and fiddly construction. For a recent kit, Italeri have not impressed with this.

Anyway, many thanks for the replies and assistance!

Les

On 07/05/2017 at 22:03, lesthegringo said:

I also had to modify the tailplane struts because they were completely incorrectly shaped

I had that problem as well. As Don says, I think Italeri take the blame for both problems. Shame, because I thought the rest of the kit was good.

On 2017-5-7 at 03:48, lesthegringo said:

17 hours ago, Don McIntyre said:

It may not be your fault. It could be Italeri's fault... :think:

On 2017-5-7 at 03:48, lesthegringo said:

The Italeri  kit is another 'classic' from them....they really have problems with spinners, and the prop... compare

BW-photo-Junkers-Ju-87D7-Stuka-NSGr9-Han

the B has model is similar issues

12 hours ago, Gorbygould said:

I had that problem as well. As Don says, I think Italeri take the blame for both problems. Shame, because I thought the rest of the kit was good.

and apparently the cockpit is in the wrong place and/or too short.

from http://www.ipmsdeutschland.de/FirstLook/Italeri/Italeri_Ju87B-2_48/Ita_Ju87B-2.html

Ita_Ju87B-2_08.jpg

Ita_Ju87B-2_09.jpg

AFAIK the Hasegawa kit is good (it matches the old Airfix B and Monogram D BTW)  so  I suspect it's another Italeri stuff up.

HTH

T

14 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

and apparently the cockpit is in the wrong place and/or too short.

I was speaking as a modeller rather than an aircraft historian when I said that I thought the rest of the kit was good, I was referring to the fact that I enjoyed building it. I'm not a stickler for accuracy, unless it adversely affects the build in some way.

On 9.05.2017 at 8:49 PM, Troy Smith said:

On 7.05.2017 at 4:48 AM, lesthegringo said:

The Italeri  kit is another 'classic' from them....they really have problems with spinners, and the prop... compare

BW-photo-Junkers-Ju-87D7-Stuka-NSGr9-Han

the B has model is similar issues

Since I am addicted to 1/72 I have no personal experience with this kit but It looks, that between fuselage and spinner (as it is in model) should be a ring - the rear part of spinner. Please have a look at the position of propeller regarding the end of spinner - in photo and in model. Simply the spinner should be and can be longer a bit.

Cheers

J-W

23 hours ago, JWM said:

Since I am addicted to 1/72 I have no personal experience with this kit but It looks, that between fuselage and spinner (as it is in model) should be a ring - the rear part of spinner. Please have a look at the position of propeller regarding the end of spinner - in photo and in model. Simply the spinner should be and can be longer a bit.

Cheers

J-W

Yes, I agree -- it's pretty much what I posted above.

• Like 1