Eduard 1/48 Bf109E

This is a placeholder for a project I'm hoping to get round to soon.

Back in 1971 the 9-year-old me was captivated by the appearance in Woolworths of an exciting new box:

JG261_zpsy3di6hol.jpg

The image of the 2 aircraft roaring across their grass airfield in Northern France was exactly what we had seen just a few months before with the release of the Battle of Britain film, and of course in those days we all knew that BoB-era 109s were 2-tone green and light blue with the high demarcation and no mottle spoiling the purity. Revell thought so too:

https://www.scalemates.com/products/img/6/6/2/258662-13150-54-pristine.jpg

That Airfix box art has long been one of my favourites but apparently the company didn't think so, as within a remarkably short space of time they had replaced it with this:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/59/85/e0/5985e06701418d6f5676496e32768570.jpg

I'm sure they had their reasons but it seemed like a backwards step to me, then and since.

I've never built the big Airfix kit but I have done quite a few 109Es in 1/48th, and I have a couple of Eduard overtrees in the stash. Appropriate markings for a pristine JG26 aircraft shouldn't be too hard to find.

More shortly.

John

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Oh good!  Another 1/24 version, I will not be alone.  I prefer the original drawing also as it has some soul to it, rather than just a modified profile drawing.

Excellent choice John,one of those kit's we used to look up to the top shelf of the shop and dream of building when younger.

• Like 1