Roden Vickers VC-10 East-African 1:144

Hi Everyone,

First off a small introduction, as I'm new here on the forum. I'm a 32 years old (as of next week) Dutch entrepeneur with passion for passenger aircraft. I only build in 1:144 scale and my goal is to have at least one model of every type of civil aircraft that has room for at least 12 passengers and has a closed cockpit. Usually I build around 8 models per year, but since the birth of my son last year I don't have as much time as I used to obviously ;). I'm usually active on the Dutch Modelbrouwers.nl forum or the Airlinercafe, but I was directed here by a member (Turbofan) to go and check this site out. 

With that out of the way I'm pleased to show you my latest build, which is the Roden Vickers VC-10 in the colours of East-African. Build pretty much out of the box, except for the four wing fences that where missing, that I added from styrene. I also sharpened the tailcone as it is a little too blunt. The kit is really good, but I found the decals not too great. The cheatlines don't extend onto the rudder for example. After market decals would probably have been better in retrospect. The window decals are from Authentic Airliners (BAC-1-11). The "photo-realistic" cockpit decal is home made by myself (which I have made for a lot of other builds as well, such as my recent Trident model)

Anyway, enough talk. On with the pictures!

49d946cf9fdc2d7edd59056dcd92d48a.jpg

f50cc5c380547c464be68981810c8abb.jpg

369c6cde462d87081c1000c7dd337387.jpg

6f83ff1964e661392e2e69b511c3e2d3.jpg

33221f2f9e8573b955d51599519685ac.jpg

45946dd7eed6d186d35f2691f0b5988d.jpg

a40fdcd8c88f537ca2cec6a1e5924fbe.jpg

5b823f758d573018e4cd1420a8d59239.jpg

ada8595f9b17df08d3a41469b0eb3c0d.jpg

I'm aware that in the last picture the hind wheels aren't completely touching the ground. That has since been corrected.

Thanks to Turbofan for some building tips.

My next project will be an A330-300 in KLM colours that has long been overdue. If you guys like I can make a WIP thread out of it.

Cheers!

• Like 28

Beautiful build, stunning livery, really makes me want to do one, but I know it won't cone out anything like that!!! Great job :D

Welcome to Britmodeller! Hope you like it here, I'm sure you will.

As you know I really like your Super VC10. The build, finish and weathering are top notch.

This is a beautiful livery and it's such a pity the Super VC10 didn't sell to more airlines so we could have more to model.

Would love a wip of your KLM A330.

Cheers,

Ian

A very warm welcome from me. We've been doing really well with airliners recently and it's great to have another recruit.

Thanks for posting your beautiful model. I always admire any modeller who can weather an airliner convincingly. It's a lot more difficult than it looks and I generally tend to under-weather my own models. Yours is just perfect! I look forward to seeing your KLM A330 when it's ready.

Dave G

:wow:

As a keen builder of African airliners myself, I've got to tell you that your Super 10 has really hit my soft spot !

:thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

Fantastic finish - looking forward to seeing more of your builds on these pages.

mike

Superb!

What an intro. I love the weathering, just brilliant to see the dirt streaks and grime of flight.

I put my Roden VC-10 back in its box, I found it wasn't doing anything for me, it may come back out again after seeing this one. This is the scheme I intended to do and bought the decals from Classic-airlines.com as it comes with both styles of titles.

Very nice and please do a WiP of the KLM A330.

Jeff

Welcome to BM. Great job. Great scheme ,like those window decs too. Well done on the Slat fences. Saw this brand new in 1966 at Brooklands, 22 years later worked on it as an RAF K3 ZA147.

Things are really looking up with all these Roden Tens and Pinky coffeeboat's Britannias

Well done, thanks for showing

• Like 1

Thats a super job you have done there,please show us some more.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Cheers Michael.     

Welcome to the forum Malair. 

I have to agree with the the other guys here that yo have made a lovely job on this one.  It would be nice to see your Trident as well some time

Chris.

:welcome:

There isn't a better way to introduce yourself to this forum than to post a VC-10, it is absolutely lovely!

I like your baseboard too it is a great way to photograph the model. I really must get around to making one myself.

Cheers

John

What a warm welcome from all of you! Many thanks for all your kind words!

FYI, the basboard is 1 meter by 1 meter and should be the 1:144 scale "Polderbaan" from Schiphol. I made it with a bit of help from one of my service people.

I will post the Trident pictures later on and will open a WIP of the A330 sometime this week.

Cheers guys. Happy to be here!

• Like 1