Corsair aficionados needed

Murray

Hey everyone, 

So I want to try to convert a F4U-4B back to a F4U-1... Internal changes wont be included in this build, I was planning on just scratch building the visible differences picking up some decals to make this happen. 

Can anyone recommend some of the visible differences between the two types? Obviously the Spars on the canopy but I'm not sure what else, my own research left me even more confused.

I was gonna try and aim for the bottom NZ Corsair:

f672778a836d9565ac157f2661dd9405.png

I'm not nearly as familiar with US Navy aircraft as I am with British 

Thanks for any help in advance! 

I think you'd be better off finding a kit if the earlier variant you're wanting to do. You don't say what scale, but IMO you can't go wrong with a Tamiya Corsair. The only drawback is that you'll need to do some minor surgery on the wingtips for the RN variant.

• Like 1

In 1/48th?  Really really not worth the bother, why, there is no decent OOB F4U-4 to begin with, the F4U-4B is the cannon version as  well.

The difference between a -1 and -4 though is the engine, the -4 got a big new engine, with 4 blade prop and under cowl scoop.  So the entire nose from  the firewall (the diagonal panel line seen below) is different.

this is a preserved -4

340405344_4f2b5c1489_b.jpg

this is an early -1 (ignore the cockpit) , compare the cowlings

F4U_-_001s.jpg

The undersides are pretty different as well, plus the exhausts....

Basically,  buy a 1/48th Tamiya F4U-1,  they can be got pretty cheap, under £15,   the other 1/48th options are not  really worth the bother, and are not much cheaper. 

There have been threads on this....

EDIT

and

Regarding the F4U-4 kits....

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235012622-148-f4u-4-corsairs-academy-and-trumpeter/&do=findComment&comment=2674767

There are threads on the cut n shut RNZAF one you are asking about as well.

eg

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/thread/1431099817/RNZAF+Corsair+Questions

with pics of the real thing.

HTH

T

• Like 1

Apart from the cowling/engine issues already mentioned above, and finding a three bladed prop.

Another issue will be your sliding canopy, the later F4U-4 had a fully blown canopy with just the edges framed in metal.

The F4U-1A/D and early F4U-4 series has a small semi-circular metal armour area as

part of the rear framing which protruded into the clear area. so you will need to check that as well.

(Edit: the link by DMC above has this information toward the lower part of the link page)

The wings are also an issue:

The F4U-1A as NZ5307 and NZ5272 both are, didnt have provision for the two hard points under the wings nor the rocket stubs/metal plated areas also under the wings, so you will need to re-instate the "fabric" areas where the rocket stubs are.

One thing not covered by your questions, but prompted me to add, by your colour choice is the following:

One thing I need to stress is that the rear section (NZ5272) was US Navy 3 or 4 tone (depending on your particular beliefs), and at the time of mating to the forward section of NZ5307 had less than six (6) weeks operational life, and had sat in a RNZAF bone yard for some many months. Hence it would not be "Used and abused" as its other 1A stable mates. - obviously later in the war, it would appear more shabby.

Please note, when painting, do not paint the rear sction "Grey".

There is this asinine belief in some modelling circles, that the rear section of NZ5272 was re-painted grey - total garbage, with no justification to prove it, historically or operationally wise by the RNZAF SU's.

NZ503 was one of a number F4U-1A's that received a total repaint in Glossy Sea Blue GSB (right over the 3/4 tone) prior to delivery by the RNZAF SU (Servicing Unit) to its first squadron.

It too like NZ5272 had about a six (6) week life, before the forward section/wing ended up in an RNZAF boneyard - it too would not have so much weathering as its 1A stable mates at time of mating the two airframes.

Bear in mind that in weathering the GSB, that the 3/4 tone would show

through before any Zinc Chromate yellow or bare metal.

Good luck with your build - show us some photos........:D

Regards

Alan

Edited by LDSModeller
  • Like 3

Also, 4B's and 4's had different wings, in the form of the panels for the armament. 

So basically the -1A and the -4B have:

-completely different cowlings 

-completely different windscreens and canopies

-completely different engine faces

-completely different props

-completely different wing panels

-completely different control surfaces on wings and tail (fabric covered vs all metal)

-completely different cockpits (not even close)

-different wing root intakes (shape and structure)

-very different tailwheels (shorter on the -1)

TOTALLY DIFFERENT BIRDS 

They're right. Save yourself. Go get a -1. You'll be so glad, especially since the Tamiya is such a FANTASTICALLY FUN build, trust us!

Edited by Andrew D Jolly Rogers guy
  • Like 3

On 06/05/2017 at 6:30 PM, Don McIntyre said:

I think you'd be better off finding a kit if the earlier variant you're wanting to do

After this outpouring of knowledge I think you might be right. Thanks for the recommendation! 

On 06/05/2017 at 6:37 PM, DMC said:

This should help you get started:

Thanks man!

On 06/05/2017 at 7:01 PM, Troy Smith said:

In 1/48th?  Really really not worth the bother, why, there is no decent OOB F4U-4 to begin with, the F4U-4B is the cannon version as  well.

Basically,  buy a 1/48th Tamiya F4U-1

Those links had some interesting stuff, thanks! Yeh I own the Academy F4U-4 and I've read that it's an alright kit but with a but of struggling at the joins. I think you might be right with the Tamiya kit!

4 hours ago, Andrew D Jolly Rogers guy said:

Also, 4B's and 4's had different wings, in the form of the panels for the armament. 

So basically the -1A and the -4B have:

-completely different cowlings 

-completely different windscreens and canopies

-completely different engine faces

-completely different props

-completely different wing panels

-completely different control surfaces on wings and tail (fabric covered vs all metal)

-completely different cockpits (not even close)

-different wing root intakes (shape and structure)

-very different tailwheels (shorter on the -1)

TOTALLY DIFFERENT BIRDS 

They're right. Save yourself. Go get a -1. You'll be so glad, especially since the Tamiya is such a FANTASTICALLY FUN build, trust us!

And with that nail in the coffin, rather, 9 nails in the coffin so I lay to rest the F4U-4B conversion project.

It has certainly been an education, I would like to thank you all gentlemen. I have learned a lot, and am currently sat looking at Tamiya F4U-1's on eBay.

Only the other day I naively thought that they were practically the same plane.  Alas not.

Thank you all again chaps for sharing your veritable wealth of knowledge

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Murrodels said:

After this outpouring of knowledge I think you might be right. Thanks for the recommendation! 

Thanks man!

Those links had some interesting stuff, thanks! Yeh I own the Academy F4U-4 and I've read that it's an alright kit but with a but of struggling at the joins. I think you might be right with the Tamiya kit!

And with that nail in the coffin, rather, 9 nails in the coffin so I lay to rest the F4U-4B conversion project.

It has certainly been an education, I would like to thank you all gentlemen. I have learned a lot, and am currently sat looking at Tamiya F4U-1's on eBay.

Only the other day I naively thought that they were practically the same plane.  Alas not.

The Academy kit is usually hammered for it's  inaccuracies,  see the link I posted for more on it's problems.

here http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235012622-148-f4u-4-corsairs-academy-and-trumpeter/&do=findComment&comment=2674767

Tamiya kits usually sell for a bit too much on ebay,  why bother when kingkit have them for 15 and a flat rate post of £.3.50 however much you order

http://www.kingkit.co.uk/plastic-model-kit-tamiya-1-48-61061-vought-f4u-1d-corsair-13304.html

no connection, Kingkit aren't cheap, but i'd be surprised if you got one for much less on ebay.

if you want to gen up on Corsairs, scans of the OOP Detail and Scale books are here

vol 1

http://www.boxartden.com/gallery/index.php/Profiles/Detail-Scale/55-Vought-F4U-Corsair

vol 2

http://www.boxartden.com/gallery/index.php/Profiles/Detail-Scale/56-Vought-F4U-Corsair

overall very good, but this does repeat the myth that the F4U-7 is same length as a F4U-4.

the most up to date Corsair references are the one by Dana Bell  published by Air Classics

reviews

http://www.hyperscale.com/2014/reviews/books/f4u1vol1bellbookreviewse_1.htm

http://www.hyperscale.com/2015/reviews/books/f4u1vol2bellbookreviewse_1.htm

Note Dana is a member here as well :)

these build on existing references,  Dana rates the Corsair Datafile BTW 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vought-F4U-Corsair-Jul-Modellers-Datafile-New-Morrissey-Rafe-Book-/122146941717

HTH

T

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Murrodels said:

Thanks man!

Hey, hey! Here is a sensible man!

Fernando

• Like 1

At £15 from KingKit I too would go with the Tamiya kit as it's probably the easiest thing to build since Lego, and only needs one minor correction (the step hole in the flap filling in). It's aso really helpful that it comes with separate flaps if you want to do one parked and dangling, and folding wing option too.

However, if you like in-flight models then it's worth keeping an eye open for the Otaki / ARII / Matchbox / Airfix 1/48 kit (all the same plastic) which is really very good for its era and can be bought for  a fiver or so at a lot of model shows. It's the right shape and has good surface detailing and goes together well. There's not much cockpit but it's a great one to put on a stand, bung in a spare Airfix pilot figure, and use up some surplus decals.

Here's a nice example built on forum

r

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 1