"Thunderbird" -Airfix P-51D Mustang 1/72

Hi all ,

this is Airfix's Mustang, another great little kit from them. I used Eagle Cal's P-51D decal sheet, and chose the Thunderbird option. When I was doing a bit of extra tidying I managed to take half the logo off the nose with masking tape, bringing the build to an abrupt  premature end...so these are the pics I took just before that point, warts and all.  (if anyone has the Eagle Cal sheet with the unused T-bird logo I'd be happy to buy/swap btw...)

C&C always welcome, thanks for looking in.    

All the best, Dave.

2rz5pxs.jpg

117eaf5.jpg

2wn1hlg.jpg

2wd1v9y.jpg

ekjajt.jpg

dc391x.jpg

12219u9.jpg

Edited by Dave N
  • Like 24

not wishing to be unpatriotic but this is my favourite aircraft ever since I was  5 years old. So I might be a bit biased in thinking this is a great model you've produced. So in an attempt to be objective, i had a good look for anything that looks out of place, but im sorry , I cant find anything that spoils this beautiful piece of work, so sorry you wrecked the decal, best of luck patching it up.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Gorbygould said:

Very nice job - looks like 1/48.

Thanks very much Gorbygould.

17 hours ago, Martin Ford said:

Superb, love the hangar. 

Made this last year, it doesn't look like this.

Thank you Martin. The hangar is homemade and was very easy to do.

16 hours ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Great job and wonderful photography. Well done.

Thanks Alpha Delta!

16 hours ago, franky boy said:

Nice work Dave

Like the hanger too.

James

Thanks James!

15 hours ago, celt said:

:ditto:Well tidy mun.:clap2:

Thanks very much Celt.

12 hours ago, Deon said:

not wishing to be unpatriotic but this is my favourite aircraft ever since I was  5 years old. So I might be a bit biased in thinking this is a great model you've produced. So in an attempt to be objective, i had a good look for anything that looks out of place, but im sorry , I cant find anything that spoils this beautiful piece of work, so sorry you wrecked the decal, best of luck patching it up.

Thanks very much Deon- actually there are loads of things that still need fixing, but that all came to an abrupt halt ... ah well. :)

9 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Lovely job Dave, I hope you get a spare for the nose decal :)

Cheers,

Stew

Thank you Stew. I hope so too- it's too late for RFI but it looks a bit forlorn on my shelf.

3 hours ago, Mountain goat said:

Very nice work, looks great with the background.

Jay

Thank you very much Jay.

Vultures, F-32, Russ. Michael- thanks for the kind words guys, they are much appreciated.   cheers, Dave

1 hour ago, WildeSau75 said:

Great Mustang - nice to see one in this scheme.

Cheers,

Michael

Hi Michael-  It's a good look isn't it?...this is actually my first P-51D, but I have another one in the stash- it's such a cool looking plane and there are so many great looking, unusual schemes for it.

Lovely build and surroundings. Have you thought about emailing Airfix/Hornby spares? You can usually get most things as a spare part. I'm almost on first name terms with them as I have a very hungry carpet monster. They supplied a complete sprue for three quid including postage last time.

• Like 1

Great job Dave! I agree it is a nice little kit. Hope you manage to get it sorted eventually. Nice presentation too! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Stix-Thanks for stopping by and thanks very much for the kind words...      Cheers, Dave

On 09/05/2017 at 9:42 AM, Vinnie said:

Lovely build and surroundings. Have you thought about emailing Airfix/Hornby spares? You can usually get most things as a spare part. I'm almost on first name terms with them as I have a very hungry carpet monster. They supplied a complete sprue for three quid including postage last time.

Thanks Vinnie- you are correct, Hornby are very good about spare parts but unfortunately in this case the decals are aftermarket- ("Eagle cals" to be precise.)

I think I may just call this build a test run and use one of the other options on the sheet for the other Airfix Mustang I have.