Airfix 1:32 scale B Type Omnibus

Hi Everyone.

It's good to be back. I wanted to have a break from building something and adding lights and so decided to make something simple and relaxing.

If any of you feel like doing the same................do not get this kit!!! :angrysoapbox.sml:

Before building this I checked out other members builds and saw how amazing they were. I read about the quality of the plastic and the flaws people found so as to learn any lessons beforehand.

Why didn't I take more notice? I've been building kits for over 48 years (all makes) and this must be the worst. The injection mould must have been over 100 years old and the operator must have had to use several cans of releasing spray to stop the plastic from sticking to the mould. Firstly, there was so much flashing on nearly every part and secondry, no matter how much I scrubbed the plastic paint just would not adhere. Even primer caused problems. Many of the parts were bent and the moulding marks were in full view so could not be ingnored.

If you like a challenge, get this kit. You will use all of the skills you have learned in building it. :rage:

Anyway, rant over. It was from a Christmas present list that I received from Santa. The good thing is that it was typical Airfix plastic in that it was quite strong and nice to cut and the decals were first class (one of the best so far). Overall it looks pleasant to look at (not too closely) and will go well with my Routemaster Bus.

It is not my best but, under the circumstances, I was just glad to finish it and decided to be brave and put it on the RFI forum. If they ever decided to bring this out with a new mould I would very probably buy it again as it is a nice kit to look at. Hope you like the pictures and I salute those who have built it before me.

Thanks for looking folks and look forward to any views, good or bad.  :worthy:

Om01_zps4ivjcctjOm02_zpstgx1vyyeOm03_zps8dun7qpaOm04_zpsq2pruwcjOm05_zpserc1k38wOm06_zpswrtdpiqaOm07_zpskyssuikeOm08_zpsuodiv03dOm09_zpsqg5a7ophOm10_zpshh7l8meqOm11_zpsbvke5ca1Om13_zpsdv6n2juxOm14_zpsvjyp2hx4Om15_zpsqw8xcn7qOm16_zpshdbk0pa5

Edited by ukmodeller
Renew pictures
  • Like 9

Looks like you have managed to produce a very decent model regardless of the problems. I've just had a look, and this kit was originally tooled in 1962!

Lovely build! I had this one (and the Ole Bill version) when I was a child, probably 50 yeas ago, so the 100 year old moulds ain't far from the truth...

I have a hankering to get this again, and do battle with it, as I like a 'Challenge'!

Your build is inspiring.

Cheers, Alan.

6 hours ago, Gorbygould said:

Looks like you have managed to produce a very decent model regardless of the problems. I've just had a look, and this kit was originally tooled in 1962!

Thanks Gorby

That would explain the problems. I used to be an Injection Moulder and some moulds are really expensive so no wonder they re-used them. The cost of repairing them would compare to buying a top range car.

6 hours ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Definitely worth the fight, as you have turned out a beautiful model.

Thanks AD

I think I've been spoilt for far too long and needed this lesson.......ha! ha!

3 hours ago, Alan R said:

Lovely build! I had this one (and the Ole Bill version) when I was a child, probably 50 yeas ago, so the 100 year old moulds ain't far from the truth...

I have a hankering to get this again, and do battle with it, as I like a 'Challenge'!

Your build is inspiring.

Cheers, Alan.

Thanks Alan. Appreciate the encouragement. Alas, as I said before, I think I've been spoilt over the years.

Sounds like this would be the prefect build for you and would we well worth a go. The price is quite reasonable now too.

I'd love to get hold of the old Dennis Fire Engine that Airfix made They have it on Ebay for about £25 and even that seems to come from a similar mould, as you can see a lot of flashing and warped pieces.........mmmmmm.......maybe.........

Cheers

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, BeastieBoy73 said:

That's brilliant! Looks like it's just been driven off the set of Camblewick Green/Trumpton/Chigley...

Wow! BB. Now you're showing your age, ha! ha! I used to love watching those programs as a kid. They reminded me of when I used to stand outside Brixton fire station all day long waiting for the engines to roar away (slowly).

• Like 3

Nice build, salutations on getting a rotten kit finished... I often think it's better to search for an old issue of some kits, as I recall the one I had about 40 years ago was pretty solid (and moulded in lovely red plastic). Same applies to the Dennis Fire Engine, I had an old issue a few years ago but sold it.

Brilliant looking bus, fun to look at, Airfix missing a trick here, some old trucks and cars would sell well, but I think they like to turn a profit in the first issue, and I can't see that happening realistically, after 50years, I bet that mould has😊

13 hours ago, ukmodeller said:

I'd love to get hold of the old Dennis Fire Engine that Airfix made

I have one of the original 1960's mouldings of this. Bright red plastic and 'wordy' instructions, not pictures...

It was moulded as a pig then! This has been on and off my workbench more times than I have had hot dinners. Well, maybe not that often, but the worst problem that I have had with it is the warped chassis rails. I guess I will have to have another go at finishing it. The biggest hurdle is to fathom out the ladder rigging... :(

Cheers, Alan.

I found the twin pack with the bus and fire engine in a model shop about four years ago shortly after returning to the hobby. They were in warped red plastic, but the decals were very good. They are actually pretty good kits for a beginner who wants to get a good-looking result with worrying too much about how botched the job is. They still look way better than anything I've built since then. The fire engine was an easier build than the bus.

It may be old and the moulds are obviously outdated now, but it's unique and you've done a fantastic job on it.  The figures as well add character to it :goodjob:

BillyD

On 07/05/2017 at 11:01 AM, Nomore Shelfspace said:

Nice build, salutations on getting a rotten kit finished... I often think it's better to search for an old issue of some kits, as I recall the one I had about 40 years ago was pretty solid (and moulded in lovely red plastic). Same applies to the Dennis Fire Engine, I had an old issue a few years ago but sold it.

Thanks for your comments. I see that on Ebay they are selling the old red plastic kits of the bus and fire engine.

I have an old Kitmaster 1961 Evening Star kit stored away and the plastic seems to be in top condition with no flashing or anything. I look at building it but then decide not to because it is such an old kit and, once, built, it will just be another kit on display and will lose that special appeal. Too sentimental? Sorry about that, ha! ha!

I even bought the Dapol Evening Star so as not to have to build the Kitmaster one.:drunk:

14 minutes ago, ukmodeller said:

Thanks for your comments. I see that on Ebay they are selling the old red plastic kits of the bus and fire engine.

I have an old Kitmaster 1961 Evening Star kit stored away and the plastic seems to be in top condition with no flashing or anything. I look at building it but then decide not to because it is such an old kit and, once, built, it will just be another kit on display and will lose that special appeal. Too sentimental? Sorry about that, ha! ha!

I even bought the Dapol Evening Star so as not to have to build the Kitmaster one.:drunk:

I think Dapol are really trying to keep up the quality of those old Kitmaster/airfix kits, although it's been about 20 years since I built one... might be worth a try as they are easy to get hold of.

Just had the idea the best way to get a really good B Type is buy a new issue for the decals and an old one for the parts...

On 07/05/2017 at 0:57 PM, Gerrardandrews said:

Brilliant looking bus, fun to look at, Airfix missing a trick here, some old trucks and cars would sell well, but I think they like to turn a profit in the first issue, and I can't see that happening realistically, after 50years, I bet that mould has😊

Thanks, Gerrard

Actually, once built it is a nice clean looking kit and one that may not look so good if weathered in any way. From memory Hornby took over Airfix years ago and a lot of their kits were built in China and India before being brought back to the UK for manufacturing. Now that Hornby own it I don't think they would spend too much money on building new moulds, though they are bringing out new one's gradually. The problem with Revell is that most of their kits are of German/Russian/European items. I think there would be a huge market worldwide for kits of historical buildings, vehicles, etc, from the UK and it is a shame there is not a British company willing to act on that.

• Like 1

On 07/05/2017 at 2:44 PM, Alan R said:

I have one of the original 1960's mouldings of this. Bright red plastic and 'wordy' instructions, not pictures...

It was moulded as a pig then! This has been on and off my workbench more times than I have had hot dinners. Well, maybe not that often, but the worst problem that I have had with it is the warped chassis rails. I guess I will have to have another go at finishing it. The biggest hurdle is to fathom out the ladder rigging... :(

Cheers, Alan.

I've seen some of those 'wordy' instructions on the net, Alan. I have tried several times to read through one of them but kept dozing off before I get halfway through.......zzzzzz ha! ha!

Gawd bless for pictures :clap:

• Like 1

On 07/05/2017 at 3:25 PM, thorfinn said:

Lovely to see one of these in its original bright colors rather than drab service dress. Excellent work, and thanks for sharing it with us.

Thanks. Appreciate your comment. As I mentioned before, I think weathering could spoil this kit. I tend to go by memory and experience with the kits I build. Alas, I cannot quite remember seeing these on the roads in London..............:hmmm: ha! ha!

On 07/05/2017 at 5:40 PM, Chimpion said:

I found the twin pack with the bus and fire engine in a model shop about four years ago shortly after returning to the hobby. They were in warped red plastic, but the decals were very good. They are actually pretty good kits for a beginner who wants to get a good-looking result with worrying too much about how botched the job is. They still look way better than anything I've built since then. The fire engine was an easier build than the bus.

Actually Chimpion, you have a good point there. Though you would need a lot of patience, it would be a good starter kit as you would sure learn a lot from correcting the imperfections and could carry that experience on to future builds. I think my problem was that I expected it to be a simple relaxing build and was not in the right frame of mind. People say I'm temperamental. I don't really have a temper so I must just be mental...........ha! ha!

3 hours ago, Billydick said:

It may be old and the moulds are obviously outdated now, but it's unique and you've done a fantastic job on it.  The figures as well add character to it :goodjob:

BillyD

Thanks Billy. I feel guilty now about moaning about it so much. Never expected such good comments from everyone. :worthy:

I must admit some of the figures have dodgy eyes but I say that is down to riding in an open top bus through the streets of 1910 London.

Cheers

Kevin

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Nomore Shelfspace said:

I think Dapol are really trying to keep up the quality of those old Kitmaster/airfix kits, although it's been about 20 years since I built one... might be worth a try as they are easy to get hold of.

Just had the idea the best way to get a really good B Type is buy a new issue for the decals and an old one for the parts...

I've done some of the Dapol kits when I had my model railway and they are really decent kits. I seem to remember that they had a big fire many years ago and most of the moulds were ruined but they rebuilt most of them over the years. They have a good range too for railway connected things.

I think you're right about getting both kits from different era's and mixing them. Mind you, with modern technology now, you could probably run off some decent decals.