douglas skywarrior jamming pods

TOPGUN88

I was wondering does anyone know if the jamming pods on the ERA-3 skywarriors were the same as the pods on a EA-6B prowler. I want to do one of these conversions on my hasegawa skywarrior kit. also did any of these carry the russian stars on the tail for an agressor aircraft. 

• Like 1

The ERA-3B carried ALQ-76 pods.  Pods on the EA-6B were part of the ALQ-99 system.  Their internal fit,operation, and performance were very different.  That being said, the external shape is generally similar.

You can't do better for A-3 information than Tommy Thomason's Tailhook Topics blog: The Mighty Skywarrior

Edited by datguy
edited to correct ERA-3 pod designation

They do look a lot like ALQ-99 pods, may be they're "close enough for government work?"

I took these photos of a VAQ-33 EA-3 at NAS Roosevelt Roads Puerto Rico.

31-1.jpg

32.jpg

Unfortunately these were scanned from matt finished prints...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TOPGUN88 said:

carry the russian stars on the tail

One at least did..I'll get back to you later with details.

Richard.

(haven't had a chance to look for your Mosquito tanks yet)

If you google 'VAQ-34' and look at images there's a few.                                                                                                                            To whet your appetite..see this link:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/c6/23/bb/c623bb7496ae1fa094a326849b8551d4.jpg

and another couple :

144834.JPGrcp000123-5x7.jpg

The pods are AN/ALQ-76, used early on by the EA-6A and EA-6B.

edit: AN/ALQ-76

Lt - 182"

W - 15"

Ht - 25"

Jari

Edited by Finn

thanks guys. scimitar they are cracking pics. especialy the one in the link. 

thanks jari. im just wondering what type would come in the kit that I have. its not a hasegawa boxed kit. it does have early markings and a built model on the front of it. (not airfix) 

It sounds like you may have the Minicraft boxing of the Hasegawa EA-6B plastic.  Sprue shoots are here:  Hasegawa EA-6B review.  You'll see some pods with a wide flare along the lower edge.  Those are the "low band" pods of the ALQ-99 system.  There are also pods with parallel sides and no flare at the bottom.  Those should be the same outline and size as the ALQ-76 and therefore suitable for the ERA-3B.

If you sand down the flared lower bulges of an AN/ALQ-99, so that the sides are flat, you'll get a reasonable AN/ALQ-76.

Close enough in 1/72nd, at any rate. ;) 

Cheers,

Andre 

thanks guys. Its not the minicraft box either. all that it has on the box is the made kit and an english address in it. 

On 5/9/2017 at 0:03 AM, dalea said:

To see which kit you have,check Scalemates.  Appears to be Testors

Testors did a release of the Italeri B-66. Until the Hasegawa (1/72) and the Trumpeter (1/48) the only other A-3 kit that I can recall is the ancient box-scale Revell (also released by Advent) kit.

On Sunday, May 07, 2017 at 2:12 PM, TOPGUN88 said:

thanks guys. Its not the minicraft box either. all that it has on the box is the made kit and an english address in it. 

Is it a relatively recent boxing?  If so, it could be a  supermarket version of Zhengdefu's Hasegawa Prowler clone. Has it slightly pebbly surfaces?