Best 1/48 A-4

Blitz23

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Thanks for confirming my thought's Steve - at least on the 'G's anyway.

Kinda think that this would have probably been the norm on the early B's and most other US Navy Scooters in the High-Viz scheme.

Cheers... Dave.

As ours were painted as per USN practices I'd say your right

8 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Something tells me that 'red' for the inside / underside slat area may be one of those urban myths that may be quite hard to prove wrong.

I've always thought that red was it, however delving ever deeper would tend to show that it's either white or some other underside / overall colour - but not red!

For US high-viz A-4s the underside/inner side of the slat could be either red or white (as could be the wing section where the slat covered when it was raised could be red or grey)

Here's a photo showing two A-4E's in 1969/70 where both white and red are in use at the same time (white on the wingtip on the A-4 just visible at the far left, and red on A-4 at center/right):

slats1.jpg

Edited by ziggyfoos
caveat that I'm talking about US high-viz only!
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, ziggyfoos said:

For US high-viz A-4s the underside/inner side of the slat could be either red or white (as could be the wing section where the slat covered when it was raised could be red or grey)

Here's a photo showing two A-4E's in 1969/70 where both white and red are in use at the same time (white on the wingtip on the A-4 just visible at the far left, and red on A-4 at center/right):

slats1.jpg

The red's a bit difficult to make out, however I'll take your valued word for it.

That's quite interesting to say the least. At this stage I'm still favouring white, however the jury is still out on this one.

Cheers.. Dave

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

The red's a bit difficult to make out, however I'll take your valued word for it.

That's quite interesting to say the least. At this stage I'm still favouring white, however the jury is still out on this one.

You can see the one on the left isn't as dark as the one on the left, can see the actuator detail/track details while the one on the right though is much darker. Even though it's further away, it's in the same light/shade condition as the one on the left/foreground, if that one on the right were also white I wouldn't think it would appear really dark (red) as it does and you'd still be able to make out the slat actuator detail if it was white too. Like you said before though, it's an area that's rarely seen. Of the pics I have where the inner slat can be seen, most appear to be white (though the sides of the slats could be red), but there does appear to be  some with red underneath. I'd say fair bet is go white unless you want splash of color on the bottom. This one's a bit grainy but here's another that looks to be a red example, same period:

slats2.jpg

Edited by ziggyfoos
  • Like 1

On ‎16‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 6:49 PM, NAVY870 said:

Heres the sister

N13-154912 881, first one I flew in and "My" Skyhawk

Skyhawk_881_Photo_via_Dave_Masterson_b_z

An absolute bad girl this one was, quite the looker though.

I've always thought she looked best in this scheme myself :):D

full_SKYHAWKS%20FOR%20WEB23.jpg?13087939

Edited by mumbles

3 hours ago, mumbles said:

I've always thought she looked best in this scheme myself :):D

full_SKYHAWKS%20FOR%20WEB23.jpg?13087939

I much prefered her in RAN colours and not laying in pieces at the bottom of the Indian ocean.

• 8 months later...