1/48 Eduard Bf109E-3 JG53 November, 1939

On 07/08/2017 at 0:34 PM, Calum said:

Looking good Kent. Like the pilot, he appears to be well sculpted .

Thanks buddy, 

The Aerobonus pilot is very nicely sculpted. A bit like myself!

As the extended deadline creeps ever closer, I am thinking this will go down to the wire. Two sick chitlens are not helping but they are pretty self sufficient. I have masked the undersides and sprayed the Aeromaster RLM 02 as a base coat:

IMG_3895.jpg

IMG_3896.jpg

I then commenced masking the parts to remain RLM 02. This was a drawn out process with lots of time taken to cut tape to the rather intricate scheme:

IMG_3897.jpg

IMG_3898.jpg

IMG_3899.jpg

IMG_3900.jpg

IMG_3901.jpg

IMG_3902.jpg

The rear stabilisers were left off the make the marking easier and are done separately:

IMG_3903.jpg

I then sprayed Humbrol RLM 71:

IMG_3904.jpg

IMG_3905.jpg

IMG_3906.jpg

IMG_3907.jpg

The walkie talkie is for the kids to call me if they need me. Parenting supervision par excellence!

IMG_3908.jpg

This will now dry overnight and then be masked for the final colour Aeromaster RLM 70, which is less difficult (I hope).  I will then remove the masks and apply the markings that can be painted on before hopefully just a few decals. Weathering will be a bare minimum as this is a 1939 build.

Regards,

• Like 2

Thanks Ozzy, you may be the judge.

Max, I am known for the last minute all nighters,

Masking goes on:

IMG_3911.jpg

IMG_3912.jpg

IMG_3913.jpg

IMG_3914.jpg

Masking comes off! Pretty happy with the result. This has been the most involved mask session I have done. There are a couple of PE bits to reattach and a couple of small goofs but if you can find them, you're good. I was going to mask the markings but I think remaining time will see me default to glosscoat then decals tonight:

IMG_3915.jpg

IMG_3916.jpg

IMG_3917.jpg

IMG_3918.jpg

IMG_3919.jpg

IMG_3920.jpg

IMG_3921.jpg

IMG_3922.jpg

Tick tock! Tick tock!

Regards,

• Like 6

Gloss coat done but I couldn't get the decalling done due to illness over the past two days. Having used up my quota of extension requests it will have to come up short. I will finish her off and post some photos on the next couple of days. 

Many thanks to V-P and Enzo.

• Sad 1

On 16 July 2017 at 06:45, Kahunaminor said:
On 11 July 2017 at 11:14, Mottlemaster said:

Hope you worked out COG with electric motor in :worry: .

I think I have it this time!

And we have progress! Ultra Matte Varnish applied followed by some actual construction! I glued some styrene strip fore and aft of the connector location. Once the connector is installed, I will attach more strip across the top of the connector and over the strip to secure it in place....forever!

IMG_3780.jpg

IMG_3789.jpg

Some work to be done on the lower surface of the oil cooler and lower engine cowl to remove a couple of hairline seams:

IMG_3787.jpg

I started at the tail and progressively worked my way forward, securing the fuselage halves and ensuring the cockpit tub, gun deck and oil cooler were correctly aligned and snug:

IMG_3777.jpg

IMG_3776.jpg

IMG_3778.jpg

The gun deck cover was secured in place:

IMG_3788.jpg

IMG_3782.jpg

IMG_3783.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, franky boy said:

Kent 

Thats some beautiful paint work and I expect some serious masking. She's looking great.

Which brand of paints are you using?

James

Thanks James,

I am mainly an enamel guy just because that is what I grew up with. I use Trstors Model Master and have a dwindling stock of Aeromaster enamels which mainly use where I can. This build also has some Humbrol enamel (RLM71). Not against breaking out the Tamiya colours if there is something I need. I am liking the AK brand of varnishes at the moment.

Regards,

• Like 1

This should be the next to last entry. The exhausts were installed and a light exhaust staining added along  The masks came off and pretty happy with the results with a couple of minor touch ups needed around the canopy. I mounted the prop and aligned it after a couple of tries and it works well. I did add the antenna but found myself rushing and making it harder for myself so I took some time out:

IMG_3970.jpg

IMG_3963.jpg

IMG_3968.jpg

IMG_3969.jpg

IMG_3976.jpg

IMG_3977.jpg

IMG_3974.jpg

IMG_3973.jpg

I shall return to finish the antenna and install the rear view mirror and some minor scratches here and there. 

Regards,

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well better late than never! Finished! Ezi line antenna, gator's grip isolaters daubed on the line and painted neutral grey. White isolator on fuselage from drilled rod. The Herr Hauptmann is checking his mirror as all good fighter pilots do consistently. I have a small plaque to go onto the base tomorrow:

IMG_3978.jpg

IMG_3979.jpg

IMG_3982.jpg

IMG_3984.jpg

IMG_3988.jpg

IMG_3992.jpg

IMG_3994.jpg

IMG_3995.jpg

IMG_3997.jpg

Many thanks to all that followed and offered advice. Once the plaque is installed, I shall post some better shots in the usual RFI section.

Regards

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 10 months later...

that is amazing.  i can just about smell aviation fuel from here.  love the splitter scheme.  like the fact that the swastikas were actually supplied in the kit (airfix dont).  would you recommend getting it?