Funtington Fighters Part one- Typhoon IB

Hi folks,

here is my newly completed Hasegawa Hawker Typhoon MkIb of Wing Commander Davidson, the leader of No.143 Wing in May 1944. I like building kits that have a relevance or a geographical proximity and this aircraft was briefly based at RAF Funtington in West Sussex which is not too far from me and is somewhere I always just thought was a load of pig farms, until I started looking into its history and found the role it played during D-Day! Nowadays there is a Qinetiq establishment shown in the photo below. Where the road is, was roughly one of the runways running East/West:

20170113_150140_1.jpg

The kit was airbrushed with Xtracrylix over a black base. Extras include resin wheels, exhaust, vac canopy and Ultracast British bombs. Decals by Avieology.

_MG_7051.jpg

_MG_7050.jpg

_MG_7047.jpg

_MG_7045.jpg

_MG_7033.jpg

_MG_7032.jpg

_MG_7028.jpg

_MG_7027.jpg

_MG_7042.jpg

_MG_7037.jpg

Thanks to Chris Thomas for a lovely reference photo.

Next time will be a Mustang MkIII that also flew from Funtington.

Cheers 

Nick

• Like 28

Splendid Typhoon build.  The Aviaeology decals are good aren't they!?  I have one to do sometime in 1/72nd.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, the Avieology decals were lovely indeed and I love the effort they went to with providing reference information and even dimensions if you'd like to scratchbuild a cluster bomb.

An excellent Typhoon. Very well painted and weathered. It's nice that you've added the history of the aircraft.

I've driven on that road a few times over the years. Do you remember seeing the EH101 Merlin perched on a pillar support? The tail rotor was continuously turning day and night.

There was also a large metal model of a Nimrod at the village end of the site that was placed upside down on a pillar. I was told this was something to do with radar calibration. 

Looking forward to seeing your Mustang . Joe 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fatboydim said:

An excellent Typhoon. Very well painted and weathered. It's nice that you've added the history of the aircraft.

I've driven on that road a few times over the years. Do you remember seeing the EH101 Merlin perched on a pillar support? The tail rotor was continuously turning day and night.

There was also a large metal model of a Nimrod at the village end of the site that was placed upside down on a pillar. I was told this was something to do with radar calibration. 

Looking forward to seeing your Mustang . Joe 

Thanks very much! I remember the merlin but not the nimrod. We used to go the fetes in the village during the summer- not been for a long time!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 85sqn said:

Thanks very much! I remember the merlin but not the nimrod. We used to go the fetes in the village during the summer- not been for a long time!

The Nimrod was about 5ft long at a guess and made of unpainted aluminium. I saw two technicians mounting it on the pillar as I drove past one day. 

A Typhoon crashed in 1944 in Stansted Forest which is very near Funtington as I'm sure you know. 

I took some photos last year. The link is below if your interested. 

Is the Mustang you intend to build from Funtington as well?

I believe the Tamiya Mustang III includes markings of an aircraft which was from the same area in West Sussex, but I cannot remember the airfield it came from. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fatboydim said:

The Nimrod was about 5ft long at a guess and made of unpainted aluminium. I saw two technicians mounting it on the pillar as I drove past one day. 

A Typhoon crashed in 1944 in Stansted Forest which is very near Funtington as I'm sure you know. 

I took some photos last year. The link is below if your interested. 

Is the Mustang you intend to build from Funtington as well?

I believe the Tamiya Mustang III includes markings of an aircraft which was from the same area in West Sussex, but I cannot remember the airfield it came from. 

The Tamiya one is from Coolham I think as one of the Polish Sqns. operated there- just off of the A272. Thanks for the link I didn't know that, I'll have to go for a walk over there someday and pay my respects. 

I'm at the painting stage of a 19 Sqn. MkIII.

• Like 1