1/72 - Brewster model 339-23 Buffalo (Sword plastic) by Special Hobby - released

Homebee

I'm finding this a slightly unusual choice of subject & schemes though maybe just revealing what I don't know of Buffalos. Have SH done this before? Maybe the US Marine Corp & NEI schemes appeared then, otherwise the schemes available for this are limited, to my mind. Nevertheless, I can see one coming my way for some Midway decals from my Starfighter sheet.

Steve.

55 minutes ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good afternoon

I have the Hasegawa Buffalo in my stash I don't know the Sword model is it better ? 

Patrice

The Hasegawa is fine, Sword / SH is short run but offer different-lesser versions

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, occa said:

The Hasegawa is fine, Sword / SH is short run but offer different-lesser versions

Good afternoon Occa

Ok thank you I have already built a few short run Sword models and I think I will stay with my Hasegawa Buffaloes with some Pe ..

Best regards

Patrice

13 minutes ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good afternoon Occa

Ok thank you I have already built a few short run Sword models and I think I will stay with my Hasegawa Buffaloes with some Pe ..

Best regards

Patrice

Patrice,

It all depends on which variant(s) you wish to build.  Hasegawa did models of the F2A-1 (USN and Finland) and F2A-2 (USN, RAF, FAA, ML-KNIL and Belgium).  The Sword kit shown covers the Model B339-23 which has the longer nose of the F2A-3 variant and appeared in Dutch (delivery only, not operational), RAAF and (a few) USAAF options. 

Cheers,
Mark 

24 minutes ago, mhaselden said:

Patrice,

It all depends on which variant(s) you wish to build.  Hasegawa did models of the F2A-1 (USN and Finland) and F2A-2 (USN, RAF, FAA, ML-KNIL and Belgium).  The Sword kit shown covers the Model B339-23 which has the longer nose of the F2A-3 variant and appeared in Dutch (delivery only, not operational), RAAF and (a few) USAAF options. 

Cheers,
Mark 

Good afternoon Mark

Thank you for your answer

I must admit that I am definitely not a Buffalo expert 

I have this http://www.modelingmadness.com/scott/preww2/previews/hasegawa/00968.htm

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/199680-hasegawa-00968-f2a-1-2-buffalo-us-navy-combo in my stash 

So according to your post I have some choice between the decals provided in this box and the decals sheets existing in the market but right now my building schedule is full until next year I think maybe for the Pacific at War Gb http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235015367-the-pacific-at-war-gb-30-and-still-going/.. 

Best regards

Patrice

1 minute ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good afternoon Mark

Thank you for your answer

I must admit that I am definitely not a Buffalo expert 

I have this http://www.modelingmadness.com/scott/preww2/previews/hasegawa/00968.htm

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/199680-hasegawa-00968-f2a-1-2-buffalo-us-navy-combo in my stash 

So according to your post I have some choice between the decals provided in this box and the decals sheets existing in the market but right now my building schedule is full until next year I think maybe for the Pacific at War Gb http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235015367-the-pacific-at-war-gb-30-and-still-going/.. 

Best regards

Patrice

Hi Patrice,

Yes, you have options...but there were lots of detail differences even within the broad groupings I outlined.  For example, the RAF airframes had a different pitot tube than the Dutch airframes.

Feel free to give me a shout if you have any Buffalo questions when you're ready to start your build.  I can bore for NATO on the topic! :)

Kind regards,
Mark

• Like 1

I can vouch for Mark - he was a big help when I was building my 1:72 Special Hobby Buffalo Mk.I, answering all of my silly questions with the authority of a subject matter expert:

The Special Hobby kit is quite nice, although I encountered an interesting gap on top of the forward fuselage (probably due to my error). The resin cockpit and engine parts are very nicely detailed indeed.

Hasegawa also did a 1:72 USMC F2A-3, as part of a combo kit (#01974). This kit used some resin components to achieve the longer nose.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/187266-hasegawa-01974-f2a-2-3-buffalo-us-navy-marine-combo

Cheers,

Bill

On 6/05/2017 at 1:59 AM, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Mark

Thank you very much for your offer I hope I will remember when the Pac at War Gb will begin ..

Best regards

Patrice

Hi Patrice,

Just bear in mind that if doing an RAAF 339-23, that of the 16/17 supplied, at least half were reconfigured to photo Reconnasissance (guns/amour removed).

None (that I'm aware of) served in combat.

Bear in mind also that the 339-23 's were delivered June-August 1942, and by the end of 1943, surviving airframes had been handed over to the USAAF 5th Air Force (in Australia) - all subsequently scrapped.

You might be interested in this link about one of those 339-23's in RAAF service

RAAF 339-23 crash

Another link about 339-23 in Aussie

RAAF A51 Series

Of the Airframes flown by the USAAF  (in Australia), I have no account of the aircraft having served in actual combat, it appears, from my reading/research the remaining USAAF 339-23 were scrapped at/around the same time as the RAAF ones.

Regards

Alan

Edited by LDSModeller
  • Like 1

Alan's right that no 339-23s were used on combat operations.  The first 6 airframes (A51-1 thru A51-6) were converted for the PR role and operated by 1 PRU.  A decision was made that only twin-engined PR aircraft could operate over water, and so the Buffalos were used primarily for survey work.  Two fighter airframes were used by the Central Gunnery School.  The remainder were operated by 25 Sqn RAAF in the defence of Perth when Australia lacked much in the way of fighter resources.  The USAAF used the airframes as hacks.

• Like 1

I've got the Hasegawa F2A-2/3 combo that Bill has linked to above, both kits destined to be build as Buffalo Is with detail improvements, I've a Pavla set with pointy tailcone & other bits as well as decals for 805 NAS Bufflao I & a couple from the far East, Singapore & Burma. In truth, the SH marking options have very little appeal, but an F2A-3 from Midway has a lot more, happily I have decals for this in the Hasegawa boxing, I was mistaken in the Starfighters reference above, I have the USN at Midway sheet, the Marines & USAAF are on another sheet.

Steve.

• Like 1

Canopy mask is available from Eduard (CX205) - I used it on my build. Very inexpensive considering the amount of time (and contributions to the curse jar) it saves.

Cheers,

Bill