1/144 - Sud-Aviation SE-210 Caravelle III/VI-N & 10R by Amodel - released - NH Detail PE sets

Homebee

Amodel is to release a new tool 1/144th Sud-Aviation SE-210 Caravelle kits

- ref. 1478 - Sud-Aviation SE-210 Caravelle III

SE-210

- ref. 1479 - Sud-Aviation SE-210 Caravelle VI-N 

SE-210

- ref. 1480 - Sud-Aviation SE-210 Caravelle 10R

SE-210

Thanks Sergey ;)

Main sprues

1493876394981426358494_800.jpg

V.P.

MattMemory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

1/72nd or 1/144th - thread title says one thing post says another, which is correct?

Thanks for the correction, I like the Caravelle, very attractive aircraft, this may tempt me into airliners...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Wez said:

1/72nd or 1/144th - thread title says one thing post says another, which is correct?

Knowing Amodel well, if that was 1/72nd the fuselage would be either split in two (making 4 pieces for the fuselage) or fibreglass.

Their 1/144th stuff all have full length fuselages.

• Like 2

I may do one if there were decals for a Catair scheme from 1975 particularly. It was my transport to and from Orly so I could go to the Paris Air Salon.

Box art - ref. 1478 - Sud-Aviation SE-210 Caravelle III

Source: 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/1113649-amodel-1478-sud-aviation-se-210-caravelle-iii

https://hobbyterra.com/product/se-210-carawelle-iii-amodel-1478.html

amo1478_1.jpg

Box art - ref. 1479 - Sud-Aviation SE-210 Caravelle VI-N 

Sources: 

http://www.modelarovo.cz/norimberk-2018-jak-jsme-ho-videli-my/

https://hobbyterra.com/product/se-210-carawelle-vi-n-amodel-1479.html

amo1479_1.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Tomppa B said:

There seems to be some kind of ditch on the fuselage where the windows should be. Will there be an insert with clear windows?

Yes - it's becoming common with some companies to include a clear insert for the windows.  Those that have built kits with this type of feature seem to like it :)

• 2 weeks later...

And now released. I received mine today and again with recent A model releases this one is very nice indeed. Very fine panel lines, a choice of original style "Comet" flight deck glazing or the later larger style. Detailed flight deck, well a couple of seats and bulkheads.

** Having had a good look at the kit, it seems as though someone at Amodel has forgotten to include the wing fences!! There are nice engraved lines on the upper wings where they should be but no sign of the actual fences. No mention in the instructions or on the sprue map, no etched metal pieces, nothing. Oh dear!!**

I'm waiting to see if Amodel rectify this or ignore it.

Decals are for Aeroflot and air charter international. Window masks are included too.

Definitely one I'm looking forward to building and getting more of.

Available from Model Hobbies and Hannants, amongst others.

Jeff

Edited by pinky coffeeboat
Where's the wing fences????
  • Like 2

'Aeroflot' decals???  Of all the nice schemes they could have chosen, they do a one-off scheme painted up for a movie!!!:wonder:  What with no wing fences, I am happy with my stash of Airfix Caravelles!

On 2/11/2018 at 3:33 PM, AMB said:

'Aeroflot' decals???  Of all the nice schemes they could have chosen, they do a one-off scheme painted up for a movie!!!:wonder:  What with no wing fences, I am happy with my stash of Airfix Caravelles!

Honestly, no the Amodel knocks the Airfix kit into the bin. Apart from the decals (yeah, crap choice) and apart from the wing fences...what have the Romans done for us!!?? No, I mean until someone compares it to a set of plans, this new kit is better. I may order the other version VI-N to see if there are fences in that (probably not).

There are a couple of extra parts on the sprue for the later P&W engine version - the ends of the engine pylons had distinctive triangular outlets. Theses pieces are on the sprue but obviously marked as do not use. 

I do hope that Amodel address the fence issue and offer later releases with etched metal for the fences, an ideal choice for etched metal. They include etched metal frets with other 1/144 models. These photos below may add nothing to this thread, but hopefully they do show the fine quality of the moulding and the areas on the wings just waiting for some nice wing fences!!!

Here's the unused parts for the rear of the P&W engine pylon.

PHOTOS REMOVED AS THEY'VE BEEN USED WITHOUT MY PERMISSION BY AN EBAY SELLER.

Jeff

• Like 1

Hi Jeff,

Wing fences are easy to make from very thin sheet styrene. In fact, kit supplied wing fences tend to be too thick anyway.

I accept they should've been included and an etched brass ones would be best but it only takes minutes to make your own!

It would be interesting to compare this with the Pas and AA Caravelles 

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

Hi Ian,

Absolutely agree, easy to make wing fences. Its just strange that they're not included though I'm hoping someone at Amodel forgot to make them.

I've the AA Caravelle models and will compare them shortly, possibly with photos either here or over on the Classic section. 

Jeff 

Hi Jeff

Yes, if you can provide comments on your (yet to be done) comparison between the Authentic Airliners Caravelle and the A Model kit that would be really helpful; Authentic Airliners usually get things very accurately researched and replicated with their products.

At first glance it seems the A Model Caravelle's fuselage is slightly too short for 1/144 scale (this was also the case with their Comet 4B and 4C).

The wheels may also be slightly too small as well (not particularly noticeable in this scale, nor a great problem).  

The wing-to-fuselage fairing on the A Model kit appears to be much shallower (and much less "beefy") than that of the Authentic Airliners version; I've yet to check with photos of the real thing as to which is more accurate, but as I say, Kurt at AA usually nails things.

My other observation (from a VERY quick viewing of the new A Model kit) is that the position of the nose radome is too high up in profile.  The venerable Airfix Caravelle suffers from the same fault, although much more pronounced - viewed from the side the Airfix Caravelle lacks sufficient "chin", the extreme lower nose shape needs extending both downward and forward in order to give it a better representation of the real thing (their Comet 4B also had the same jaw-line issue).

Having said all that, I'm delighted that A Model have given us the Caravelle, its certainly an improvement on the near 60 year old Airfix kit (and the MisterKit clone of it). The detailing (not least engraved panel lines) is certainly superior.

Despite the rather odd choice of livery provided in the A Model box you have (Aeroflot and Air Charter) we are fortunate that there is already a good selection of aftermarket decals available; and no doubt A Model will issue the same kit with more decal options in time (I see there is already a Caravelle VI-N with Corse Air decals available on model shop shelves). 

Meanwhile I'm looking forward to your assessment of the A Model kit once you've had a chance to actually place it side-by-side with the Authentic Airliners version.

Donald

Hi Jeff

Yes, if you can provide comments on your (yet to be done) comparison between the Authentic Airliners Caravelle and the A Model kit that would be really helpful; Authentic Airliners usually get things very accurately researched and replicated with their products.

At first glance it seems the A Model Caravelle's fuselage is slightly too short for 1/144 scale (this was also the case with their Comet 4B and 4C).

I haven't built any of my AA Caravelles yet and so the tail piece of the resin kit is still mounted on its pouring stub. But holding it to the resin fuselage and holding both kits together shows roughly a 1mm difference in length, the AA being the slightly longer of the two.

The wheels may also be slightly too small as well (not particularly noticeable in this scale, nor a great problem). 

About 1/3 mm too small (measured with digital verniers the diameters are: AA 5.99mm, Amodel 5.71mm)

The wing-to-fuselage fairing on the A Model kit appears to be much shallower (and much less "beefy") than that of the Authentic Airliners version; I've yet to check with photos of the real thing as to which is more accurate, but as I say, Kurt at AA usually nails things.

I've taken pictures but they're not too well done so may not confirm it. When held together, the Amodel wing/fuselage fairing appears pretty much as thick as the AA kit. Contours and detailing may be subtlety different. The Amodel wing appears to be about 1mm wider in chord, leading edges lined up and positioning the camera to be as best square on.

My other observation (from a VERY quick viewing of the new A Model kit) is that the position of the nose radome is too high up in profile.  The venerable Airfix Caravelle suffers from the same fault, although much more pronounced - viewed from the side the Airfix Caravelle lacks sufficient "chin", the extreme lower nose shape needs extending both downward and forward in order to give it a better representation of the real thing (their Comet 4B also had the same jaw-line issue).

Agree on this one. The AA nose point is much lower down giving a longer upper windshield area, the Amodel kit has a more evenly placed nose point, but  perhaps not as bad as the Airfix kit (I don't have one handy)

Having said all that, I'm delighted that A Model have given us the Caravelle, its certainly an improvement on the near 60 year old Airfix kit (and the MisterKit clone of it). The detailing (not least engraved panel lines) is certainly superior.

Absolutely. I couldn't be bothered with the Airfix kit and it's obvious faults (though on closer examination, this one may not be that much better) and resin is not a medium I like working in plus £60 each is too much for me to pay for the fleet of Caravelles I wish to make. However, should you only ever wish to make one Caravelle, I'd go with the AA model.

Despite the rather odd choice of livery provided in the A Model box you have (Aeroflot and Air Charter) we are fortunate that there is already a good selection of aftermarket decals available; and no doubt A Model will issue the same kit with more decal options in time (I see there is already a Caravelle VI-N with Corse Air decals available on model shop shelves). 

Indeed unusual choices, however Amodel may have chosen these as a nod to the aftermarket decals available and not wishing to duplicate any available decal sheets. Having a good look through the online sites and flicking through this book below, there are dozens of schemes I'd like to make.

Meanwhile I'm looking forward to your assessment of the A Model kit once you've had a chance to actually place it side-by-side with the Authentic Airliners version.

I'll probably add a few more comparison pictures and thoughts later, just trying to juggle the bits to best compare and photograph them!!

Jeff

PHOTOS REMOVED AS THEY'VE BEEN USED WITHOUT MY PERMISSION BY AN EBAY SELLER

Donald

• Like 2

• Thanks Jeff, as usual an excellent piece of work !

I guess the acid test will come once we all get building our A Model Caravelles.......seeing how well the components fit together, how realistically the finished model "sits" etc.

In the meantime you've highlighted some useful and interesting points to be aware of; all too often I've started a model without fully researching it (I prefer to try and make a model that looks as faithful to the original as possible, rather than straight "out-of-the-box") and have found out too late about some or other critical production error !

Thanks again

Donald

ps Please share with us any further comments you have once you've had more time to study the A Model Caravelle. 

• Like 1

A few more comparison pictures:

The horizontal stabilizers appear similar in plan but the AA ones have a sharper sweep back.

The fin and rudder basically similar (perhaps the Amodel base where it joins the long roof fairing, is a bit thicker?)

Those bl**dy wing fences!! Sadly nothing to compare them with...

PHOTOS REMOVED AS THEY'VE BEEN USED WITHOUT MY PERMISSION BY AN EBAY SELLER

Jeff

• Like 1