Airfix 1/72 B5N2 Kate CarDiv5 Shokaku WIP

I'm starting the Airfix 1/72 B5N2 Kate and decorating it in the Shokaku Carrier Division 5 clan. I will be fitting it out in the stored, but armed configuration as it would have been in the hanger deck prior to an attack.
The kit has a fairly large parts count considering it's a 1/72 scale kit.
There is a picture of EI-311 landing on the Shokaku in April 1942 but can't seem to locate it right now.

The Kate was arguably the best carrier borne level and torpedo bomber at the beginning of the war but soon was easily bested against the Allies due to its lack of speed and armor. It was to be replaced by the B6N Tenzan or "Jill" which was late due to teething issues in development. The Kate would solder on through 1945 without shamefully, a single one surviving to the end. The Kate is one of my favorite planes and because of that I'm astonished I have never built one before.

7A4umI.jpg  5rQgU1.jpgpXYAHD.jpg

Beginning on the kit, the steps have me starting with the wings. Cutting the wings along the intended line was very easy. The kit is made from the soft but very workable Airfix plastic. The sight window is also installed and holes are drilled for whichever armament will be used if any. The wing ribs at the folds are way too thick for this scale but make installation easy. I don't believe the thickness will be noticed once the kit is complete.
The cockpit is molded in the lower wing. The seats, controls and such are added to the wing section.

JWlgJu.jpg

More to come soon.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Bitzer said:
I'm starting the Airfix 1/72 B5N2 Kate and decorating it in the Shokaku Carrier Division 5 clan. I will be fitting it out in the stored, but armed configuration as it would have been in the hanger deck prior to an attack.
The kit has a fairly large parts count considering it's a 1/72 scale kit.
There is a picture of EI-311 landing on the Shokaku in April 1942 but can't seem to locate it right now.

The Kate was arguably the best carrier borne level and torpedo bomber at the beginning of the war but soon was easily bested against the Allies due to its lack of speed and armor. It was to be replaced by the B6N Tenzan or "Jill" which was late due to teething issues in development. The Kate would solder on through 1945 without shamefully, a single one surviving to the end. The Kate is one of my favorite planes and because of that I'm astonished I have never built one before.

7A4umI.jpg  5rQgU1.jpgpXYAHD.jpg

Beginning on the kit, the steps have me starting with the wings. Cutting the wings along the intended line was very easy. The kit is made from the soft but very workable Airfix plastic. The sight window is also installed and holes are drilled for whichever armament will be used if any. The wing ribs at the folds are way too thick for this scale but make installation easy. I don't believe the thickness will be noticed once the kit is complete.
The cockpit is molded in the lower wing. The seats, controls and such are added to the wing section.

JWlgJu.jpg

More to come soon.

• Like 1

"There is a picture of EI-311 landing on the Shokaku in April 1942 but can't seem to locate it right now."

My boo boo, the pictures I was thinking of were of the Kate AI-301 in April 42 on the Akagi....which is my next build. The 1/72 Hase Kit. Looking through that kit, there is a world of difference. I prefer the Airfix kit far more.

84KII0.jpg mHp5WC.jpg

• Like 1

A little more on the Kate today. The pit is installed and painted as well as the interior fuse. Next will be mating the fuse and wings then adding the stabilizers and rudder. The kit is fitting very will and the interior detail is quite nice.

GOvhJd.jpg

eS53zN.jpg

IMlKza.jpg

E5TvnC.jpg

• Like 10

Continuing on with the Kate. I attached the fuselage to the wings and vert stabilizers to the fuse. The only complaint I have with the kit, which is easily remedied with a little trimming and sanding, is the attachment point of the wings and stabilizers to the parts tree. The attachment points are big and invade on the surfaces. But like I said these are easily remedied.

ORoLXJ.jpg

If you decide to build this kit, be aware of the gauge at the bombardier's position. The panel it is attached to came loose while installing the fuselage because the gauge slips into a slot on the fuse. This was easily fixed bit reinstalling the panel after the fuse was on.

My901Y.jpg

The gaps at the wings and stabilizers are very small and the fit is tremendous IMO

I really like this kit. Good on ya Airfix!

• Like 1

I worked on the seams tonight, painted some grey to check for smoothness and sanded a little more. I then went over the panel lines to remove the Mr Thinned Putty and I think that should do it.
Tomorrow night I'm spraying silver for a base for some chipping. Japanese aircraft weren't as worn out and chipped as they were at the end of the war but there was some. I also sanded and smoothed the torpedo. I'm not going with the Type 91 modification 2 Torpedo which was used at Pearl (adding the wooden fins) because I'm building this as a May 1942 time frame. The kit is awesome enough to include the wood fins for the Mod 2 torp, but doesn't seem to include instructions to add the modification to the kits torpedo. 
1XFkjv.jpg

DYOHp4.jpg

• Like 3

LOL, no Stew, I won't be.

I sprayed the black nose then the overall grey base coat. The upper surfaces have green squiggles and blotched which I hope to get to tonight.

uttvkV.jpg

d6VVYo.jpg

• Like 1

Now it's time for a wash then a dull coat. The open canopy is molded together so is somewhat interesting to paint. I'll install the wings after the canopy is attached.

Eu7FBo.jpg

dDrfGj.jpg eWOK3L.jpg

36Gf0f.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks Rob,

Airfix really did a nice job on this one. The decals are a little thick but nothing that a setting solution can't handle. 

While I have 3 or 4 Hasegawa Zeros I want the Airfix kit abd I hoping they will be making a Val.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Bitzer said:

Thanks Rob,

Airfix really did a nice job on this one. The decals are a little thick but nothing that a setting solution can't handle. 

While I have 3 or 4 Hasegawa Zeros I want the Airfix kit abd I hoping they will be making a Val.

I have a new tamiya zero in the collection but it would be rude for it not to have any mates to hang out with! 

Looking forward to the rest of your work

Rob

Thanks Rob and Mike!

I moved the completed build to Ready for Inspection.

I forgot to hit Submit Reply a few days ago...sorry. :unamused:

mx7MRB.jpg

5xLC8Z.jpg

65RPJc.jpg

XAex5t.jpg

deQRQi.jpggziv6E.jpg

Edited by Bitzer
  • Like 6