1/72 Spitfire F.24 - 80 Sqn

Hi Cookie,

Great Spitfire!

I have a couple of questions for you. I'm also building the Airfix Mk 24 currently though mine is in camouflage PK682. I've just been reading my Phileditions book and noticed this was a rebuilt Mk 22. Do you know if all Mk 24's had the long prop blades and updated undercarriage covers? I have a Special Hobby Mk 21 which has these spare parts so I can change them if required.

Regards

Michael

• Like 1

On 5/5/2017 at 11:57 PM, Bedders said:

Your late-model Spitfire bingo card must be almost full now. As I struggle on with my P-51B (more on that story elsewhere) I've begun to look at the idea of doing a Spiteful: the curves of a Spitfire in the fuselage department, with the straight lines of a Mustang-like wing. But I'm realising that decent kits in 1/72 are hard to come by...

I'm hoping to have the Mk 21 and 22 finished tomorrow - we'll see. I've been watching your Spiteful thread in the 'WWII' section keenly, as I know next to nothing about that variant. How is the P-51B coming along?

On 5/6/2017 at 10:40 AM, Martin T said:

Very nice model, I tend not to associate 80 Sqn Spitfires with an Aluminum finish. Some good tips on creating a Mark 24 as well, I have the SH kit but i am none too struck on it in places, eg the wing tips, so I can at least use some of it.

The SH kit does have enough shape issues that I use the kits just for the spare parts, and they are well worth it just for that - I bought three and haven't regretted it.

30 minutes ago, Michael louey said:

I have a couple of questions for you. I'm also building the Airfix Mk 24 currently though mine is in camouflage PK682. I've just been reading my Phileditions book and noticed this was a rebuilt Mk 22. Do you know if all Mk 24's had the long prop blades and updated undercarriage covers? I have a Special Hobby Mk 21 which has these spare parts so I can change them if required.

There are folks here on BM that know way more about the Spitfire than I do, but from what I've learned in researching this build, I think the prop would probably be the longer 'Mk 24' type, while the undercarriage covers could well be the 'Mk 22' type (both types appear in reference pics, just like long and short cannon farings). I haven't actually measured yet, but I have a feeling that the Airfix Mk 22 prop may be the proper size for the Mk XIV (it is the same diameter as the new Sword MK XIV prop), and I've read several places where folks say that the Airfix MK 22 prop makes a fine addition to their Mk XIX kit.

• Like 3

Things are getting worrisome on BM. I have noticed of late an upward trend of frank Spitfire addiction symptoms... And I am sorry to say, Cookie, that you fit smack bang on the upper limit of that scourge. You are nonetheless in good company as we have the names of most of your partners in crime!

What are the police doing? 

Between you and me, it is definitely a stunning build, but that should not stop you going into rehab...

Great show

JR

• Like 1

On 5/9/2017 at 1:42 AM, Michael louey said:

I'll probably go with the lengthened props and the original u/c covers. I'll also use a spare Eduard canopy like you suggested.

What I did with the prop, and feel free to ignore this of course, was use the Airfix spinner with the SH back plate. That way the square pegs at the base of the blades fit the 'grooves' made for them in the SH back plate. I had to file the front half of the square pegs round to fit the Airfix spinner. By doing it this way, I could assemble the spinner first and then fit the blades in afterward and the still square backs slid right into the grooves ensuring easy alignment. 

It really was easier than it sounds!

On 5/9/2017 at 10:59 AM, jean said:

Things are getting worrisome on BM. I have noticed of late an upward trend of frank Spitfire addiction symptoms...

I can quit any time I want...

• Like 2

On 11/05/2017 at 11:22 AM, Cookenbacher said:

What I did with the prop, and feel free to ignore this of course, was use the Airfix spinner with the SH back plate. That way the square pegs at the base of the blades fit the 'grooves' made for them in the SH back plate. I had to file the front half of the square pegs round to fit the Airfix spinner. By doing it this way, I could assemble the spinner first and then fit the blades in afterward and the still square backs slid right into the grooves ensuring easy alignment. 

On 11/05/2017 at 11:22 AM, Cookenbacher said:

Hi Cookie,

Thanks for the suggestions again. I looked at my Mk 21 though and there only appears to be one spinner backplate, so I would transfer the problem of completing a set of aligned props to that kit. I suppose you are using your SH kits as cannabilization subjects so it may not be an issue for you.

I'll think of what to do next when I get back to the Mk 24 soon. (I have 2 projects I have to do for club displays which need to be finished in the next month - One of them is a Spitfire but not as we know it :smile:

Cheers

Michael

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Just came across this.  A superb model which I initially thought must be the Airfix 1/48th kit.  A great paint finish and the kit's somewhat overdone panel lines have been beautifully toned down.  I think these late Spits look great in silver.

• Thanks 1

That`s a cracking little collection and I do like the 80 Sqn Spit wearing the silver scheme,....looks brilliant in model form! 

Cheers

Tony 

• Thanks 1

She's a beaut' Cookie, you can certainly work some real magic!

Would it be possible to wheedle a couple more family pics of the three together?

The Airfix Spit 22 is a nice little kit for sure, it got me hooked again after 20+ years...

Out of curiosity how did you light those pictures? The lighting is really nice.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

7 hours ago, Gazontipede said:

The Airfix Spit 22 is a nice little kit for sure, it got me hooked again after 20+ years...

It is a great kit alright, and I think the wing is particularly well done - it's beautiful both as a representation of the real thing and as a bit craft/science in its own right.

Out of curiosity how did you light those pictures? The lighting is really nice.

My photography skills are severely lacking compared to most of the folks here on Britmodeller, but @Procopius recommended a photo light box, and suddenly the pics look OK! It's a great way to cheat.

Here's a quote from @giemme showing what settings to use - I followed them as close as I could with my little point-and-shoot.

On 3/2/2017 at 1:08 AM, giemme said:

- set your camera to Aperture priority, selecting the highest F value to have a greater field depth (more parts of your model on focus)

- manually set the white balance, using a white sheet as target inside your light box with the desired backdrop

- select ISO100

- hold your camera still and use the timer (a tripod would be great)

Would it be possible to wheedle a couple more family pics of the three together?

I apologize, many of my pics have fallen victim to the Photobucket curse.

Here is a pic of the Mk 24 with the rest of the late model Spitfires that were built alongside.

Here's another of the Mk XIX.

IMG_3711_zpsi8gupcoi

And here's another of the AZ Mk XIV.

IMG_3033_zpsux8wo2u7

The full RFI for the Airfix Mk XIX can be found here.

The full RFI for the AZ Mk XIV (and some of its friends) can be found here.

In order to view them, you will probably need the Photobucket fix plug-ins that can be found here

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/6/2017 at 5:40 PM, Martin T said:

Very nice model, I tend not to associate 80 Sqn Spitfires with an Aluminum finish. Some good tips on creating a Mark 24 as well, I have the SH kit but i am none too struck on it in places, eg the wing tips, so I can at least use some of it.

vn318 was silver marked "e" in hong kong aaf ,ex 80 sqn, yours looks vg though

• Like 1

Awesome. Thanks for the detailed reply Cookie!

I'll have to start using those photographic tips. (I experimented a bit the other day with natural light when the weather was a bit nuclear here: 42C/106F day max & 28C/83F night min...) A light box will surely be of use in the future, particularly in avoiding photographic environments like the above that could melt the subjects!

Your super collection of late marque Spits is an absolute joy to behold! I have to admit to a strained girly squeal while viewing them that caused the missus to come over in a concern at the noise...

I'll now have a bit of a delve into those various RFIs of yours. Hopefully while avoiding too many bizzare sound effects!

Cheers!

Edited by Gazontipede
  • Haha 1