1/72 Spitfire F.24 - 80 Sqn

This is build number four of six late model Spitfires on the go in this thread.

It's the 1/72 Airfix Spitfire 22 kit modified to produce a Mk 24 - starboard hatch was filled and rescribed, the prop blades were replaced with longest blades from the Special Hobby Griffon Spitfire/Seafire kit, and late model landing gear doors and rocket rails were pilfered from the same SH kit. I left the long barreled cannons as this airframe seemed to feature them throughout its career.

VN318 served with 80 Sqn in Hong Kong, and then with the Royal Hong Kong Auxiliary Air Force (RHKAAF), finally retiring in 1955.

IMG_4570_zpsszbp7xh4

IMG_4579_zpsgwxrdi0g

Part of a growing group Southeast Asia Spitfires.

• Like 66

Gorgeous addition to your Spitfires collection, Cookie! :clap:  :clap: Excellent NMF, enjoyed the WIP thread (still am, actually :winkgrin: )

Ciao

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Part of a growing group Southeast Asia Spitfires.

Does this make them SEACfires? :whistle:

Awful pun but luscious work Cookie - your finishes just get better and better with each of your aircraft I see.

Tony

• Like 1

What a beautiful little model in a scheme that I`ve had my eye on for a while too,.....plus the other models are wonderful,....excellent job,

Cheers

Tony 

• Like 1

Gorgeous model and such a fantastic collection of spitfires :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind comments everyone!

19 hours ago, Horatio Gruntfuttock said:

Nice looking Spitfire there. I did not know that the 24 had a longer set of blades to the 22 - thanks for that info.

Here's what I have in my notes based on chasing this question around a few Britmodeller threads on the the subject of Spitfire props:

Spitfire XIV - 10'5" dia

Spitfire 21 & 22 - 11' dia

Spitfire 24 - 11'10" dia

16 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Does this make them SEACfires? :whistle:

If you laughed at this, then you are a Britmodeller.

13 hours ago, Yankairfixfan said:

I followed your WIP thread for these and they are just beautiful to my eye.

Thanks and welcome to Britmodeller, Yankairfixfan - that's a great username and it describes a fair number of us 'across the pond' types.

15 hours ago, LostCosmonauts said:

Beautiful work - was there any ugly mark or scheme of Spitfire?

I certainly don't think so, although some marks look a bit more 'purposeful' than others.

7 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

I'm not normally a massive fan of Griffon Spits Cookie, but that is a little beauty, perfectly done - good work mate B)

The Griffon Spitfires, especially the XII and XIV are definitely in the 'purposeful' category. Somehow, the Mk 24 is elegant again recapturing some of the earlier beauty.

12 hours ago, Gerrardandrews said:

odd, Airfix didn't tool their kit to able to do this Mk, few extra parts, in fact they could still do so, new decal sheet and few new parts😊

That would be great. I have the Freightdog conversion set on the way right now in order to try another Mk 24 with that. Missing from all the options I could find are the underwing bomb racks that Mk 24's are shown with in most Hong Kong reference pics. They're different from the earlier '2nd TAF' bomb racks and I wish I could figure out a way to easily scratch them.

12 hours ago, tonyot said:

What a beautiful little model in a scheme that I`ve had my eye on for a while too

Thanks Tony, I would like to try one with the "Korean War" ID Stripes someday.

7 hours ago, wellsprop said:

Well that looks awesome :D

Thanks Ben! Your many many Mk XIV's (and others) have proven very influential.

• Like 4

That's a beautiful 24 Cookie. The finish has a lovely patina to it and I really like the oil leaks under the centre section. Great photography too. Your late-model Spitfire bingo card must be almost full now. As I struggle on with my P-51B (more on that story elsewhere) I've begun to look at the idea of doing a Spiteful: the curves of a Spitfire in the fuselage department, with the straight lines of a Mustang-like wing. But I'm realising that decent kits in 1/72 are hard to come by...

Justin

• Like 1

Very nice model, I tend not to associate 80 Sqn Spitfires with an Aluminum finish. Some good tips on creating a Mark 24 as well, I have the SH kit but i am none too struck on it in places, eg the wing tips, so I can at least use some of it.

Edited by Martin T
Clarification
  • Like 1

Hello cookie,

Very nice job, I really enjoyed the WIP

I think that Seacfires is good enough to be used either !

Nice finish and painting, Congrats :partytime:

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1