Hello from Glasgow and thanks Skodadriver

Rb277170

Visited Perth kit show on Saturday and met Skodadriver who told me about this website. Skodadriver had a fantastic range of civil aircraft on display. Very much admired his Trident 3, Donaldson Britannia , Cambrian 1-11 and his BEA Vanguard. These were just a few of his great display. I've been picking up some great tips reading this forum, especially his posts and already acquired two recommended books on kit making.

I am returning to model kits after a 40 year absence. In my youth I constructed  Airfix kits, civil and military.  I had virtually every kit in the Skyking 1/144 range . Not very professional I have to say , it was very much a stick it together as fast as possible and play with it time. I lived not far from Glasgow Airport and lived with Tridents, Comets and Viscounts taking off and landing all day, A scene I tried to emulate on the living room floor.

Knowing my fascination of Airliners my mother used to take me trips of an evening to the airport. In these days visits to the airport were encouraged and there was a spectators terrace. The airport was much less busy then and every departure and arrival seemed an event.BEA speed jack and red square liveries on Tridents and Viscounts were evident, BUA 1-11s .Britannia, AerLingus and Lufthansa 737s . KLM DC9s in old livery i.e. Before blue fuselage tops, Dan Air Comets, Inex Adria DC9s . These are the aircraft I remember and would now like to construct kits of. I was both inspired by Skodadriver but at the same time realised I have a lot to learn if I am to do this properly. I've already acquired various kits , but think I'll leave the Trident 3 until I've a bit more experience.  Probably first up will be an Airfix 737. I quite fancy one in Britannia stripes or Aer Lingus green cheat line livery.

So thanks for the introduction Skodadriver. It is a great site 

• Like 2

Hello to you. Amazing how many of us new members are returning to the hobby. And what a wonderful hobby it is. 

I also lived near an airport as a lad, and still do - Southampton.

Welcome to the site, I'm sure your already enjoying it as much as I am.

All the best, Martin.

• Like 1

Ahh before my time Scimitar. My father did part of his National Services as an aircraftsman at Abbotsinch though and apparently could nip home for his lunch! He talked about Fireflys and Seafires. He would have been there just after the war I think. No my time was going down to airport in late 60s /early 70s . Flights were few and far between , but the airport held a bit of intrigue and excitement in these days, not the bland people processors they are now!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rb277170 and welcome to Britmodeller.  

I've been on holiday and wondering why my ears were burning!  I'm very flattered but I'm sure you've already realised that there are other airliner modellers on here who are a lot better than me.  I won't embarrass them by naming names but if you hang out on the civil aircraft forums (don't forget to check Ready for Inspection on a regular basis) you'll soon get to know them.  Most of the really good airliner modellers are very friendly and always willing to share knowledge and information.  If you can't find what you're looking for just post a question and somebody will help.

Ann and I hope to have the airliners at Dundee in August and Glasgow in October so if you make it to either show please don't forget to stop by for a chat.

• Like 1

I think you do yourself a mis-justice  Skodadriver, You forget I've seen the impressive display of airliners you have. I did enjoy the Perth show. Have a feeling I'm on holiday  for the Dundee show but will certainly head to Bellahouston in October.

Since my last posting my collection of kits has mushroomed with 3 S and M Viscounts , another Vanguard, Airfix Trident,caravelle and 737 joining my existing collection. I've also acquired books by Mark Stanton and Aaron Skinner , so well engrossed and even further addicted now. Visits to Halfords have sourced Appliance White, Plastic Grey Primer and Fiat Capri Blue , so I'm building up to my first kit for 41 years! Headed to Scott's Models in Glasgow, picked up some tools and got some good advice there too, oh and an A320 to further feed addiction!

I did think I'd go for the 737 first in either old Aer Lingus or Britannia red blue hockey stick livery, but having examined the S and M viscount I might do one of these first. Viscounts are a bit of a favourite as I had my first flight on a BEA one Glasgow- Edinburgh as a special day trip . I know the kit has limitations but it might be a good first run. I fancy either Cambrian Orange or maybe BMA liveries. The Cambrian one may be a bit of a challenge getting the exact shade of orange and would need to be brush painted as I don't have an airbrush, so is probably not practical at this point in time, BMA may be the simpler option, with appropriate. Decals. 

Anyway once again thanks for your chat. I already had the bug but certainly was further encouraged!

Russell

Edited by Rb277170
Hopeless misspelling