Star of Africa - Finished!

4 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Looks like a good start from where I'm sitting although it sounds like you might have some 'interesting' times soon! Good luck. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix,

I look forward to progressing this one albeit with caution. I hope to have some more updates for the weekend.

Cheers

Greg :thanks:

• Like 1

Update 2! Kind of.

I have progressed my 109 but my update photos couldn't be uploaded to photobucket on Sunday despite trying to access the site 3 times, I kept getting an error message. I will try again tonight, assuming the family are not hogging our laptop.

I have added a bit of detail to the pit via fuel line, map case & seat belts. Joining the fuselage proved taxing as it has no locating pins so I glued it from the tail to the front securing the rear portion with pegs and holding the front end with tape. A shim was needed to fill the gap above the Instrument panel. I then chose to add the upper wing sections to the fuselage sides and let them set before adding the bottom section. The wheel wells required sanding before hand to allow the wings to join.

The dreaded front end is being built in sections, possibly without the engine block as dry fitting the upper panels showed they will not close over the top of the top half of the engine. I could sand this down as its not by much but I will see nearer the time. All in all not a bad build so far.

Its proving a more challenging build than I anticipated but I am enjoying it. Building the Brengun Typhoon previous has held me in good stead for this kit.

Pictures to follow.....

Cheers

Pic's......

IMG_2466_zpsa3ejho5b.jpg

IMG_2467_zpsjkvvrpxw.jpg

IMG_2469_zpswacw60ly.jpg

IMG_2470_zpsa8w05keg.jpg

IMG_2471_zpsfyfcxloh.jpg

IMG_2472_zpswewlsyjp.jpg

Phew,

Only took me 25 mins to upload to PB then copy to BM.

I'm away for a lie down.

All comments welcome, thanks for looking

Greg

Edited by GREG DESTEC
photos
  • Like 4

Thats good progress, with the basic airframe together and the fit problems solved.

The cockpit is very nice with the self made details, love the fuel line, adds a lot to the look of the cockpit.

Cheers !

:thumbsup:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BerndM said:

Thats good progress, with the basic airframe together and the fit problems solved.

The cockpit is very nice with the self made details, love the fuel line, adds a lot to the look of the cockpit.

Cheers !

Thanks mate! :smile:

I think even the few extra bits helps busy up the space. I have made more progress on this now as I added the front upper and lower cowlings last night. Fit wasn't as bad as I thought, and its starting to look like a 109 now.

Cheers Greg

Edited by GREG DESTEC
Spelling
  • Like 2

It's looking good. Like the details you added. Fills out the cockpit and what you added will actually be seen, rather than be hidden from view forever after the canopy is on. Great work. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, georgeusa said:

It's looking good. Like the details you added. Fills out the cockpit and what you added will actually be seen, rather than be hidden from view forever after the canopy is on. Great work. 

Thanks George,

With my limited detailing skills, I only add what appears to be missing (to the naked eye).

Cheers

Greg :yes:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Progress is looking very good Greg. Your efforts in the cockpit area have really paid off! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

:yes: Thanks Stix,

I don't often add my own stuff, but it seemed to go ok on this occasion.

I am hoping progress will speed up a bit now.

Cheers Greg

• Like 1

Latest progress pics....

IMG_2473_zpsqazoccx8.jpg

IMG_2474_zpslibnazmg.jpg

As you can see i have assembled the main airframe, and have started to lay down some paint. I am as usual brush painting using Hannant's Xraclour Acrylics for the main colours and humbrol acrylics for the rest.

The Hannant's stuff has a good glossy surface so this should help the transfers go down well. Next step is attaching the front and rear cockpit transparancies then its on with the Sand upper surfaces. 

So far so good. The front end has no engine block, i managed to align all the components without too much fuss. The exhausts will be added after the sand paint goes on as will the tropical filter. 

Thanks for looking,

Greg:D

Edited by GREG DESTEC
Spelling
  • Like 11

Looks great, your paint job using hairy sticks is stunning, very neat.

And she is beginning to look like a 109, well done so far :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BerndM said:

Looks great, your paint job using hairy sticks is stunning, very neat.

And she is beginning to look like a 109, well done so far :)

Thanks Bernd,

All going well I should have the upper camo on by this time next week, maybe more.

Cheers

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mottlemaster said:

Looking good Greg . Admire any one who paints white by brush  . How many coats does it take ?

Thanks Alistair,

Three coats of thinned white, then a bit of a polish with micromesh. I've got the yellow to look forward to now....:lol:

Cheers

Greg

• Like 1

Absolutely superb brush painting! Amazing stuff. Not tried those paints - might have to check them out. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Absolutely superb brush painting! Amazing stuff. Not tried those paints - might have to check them out. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

:thanks:

Hi Stix,

Thanks for the kind comments. I got the Hannants paints to try a while back, and initially didn't like them. However if they are stirred and shaken well they will cover fine with a couple of coats. I thinned mine down a bit as they were a bit thick to begin with. They dry with a semi gloss or satin finish and look good enough for direct decal application. I will try this with the underside crosses first as  a test.

All the best, Greg

Edited by GREG DESTEC
  • Like 1

Nice modelling Greg :)!

I just caught up with this; a great read and thread.

You made a nice job of the interior and I like the approach of putting the top wings on first: no gaps :thumbsup2: !

I hope to do one of his machines too; I've had some health issues delaying other builds, so I'm waiting to see if I might be able to achieve it in time (I think so).

My subject will be a HA-1109-K as seen in the movie; used to represent 'real' aircraft like yours. I'm having problems finding a 'Yellow 14' number, but otherwise the Amodel (very much short run) kit is at the ready :).

I'm in Oz, sometimes YouTube has different licences, but the movie is public domain; here it is (I love this movie):

Meanwhile it's really great watching your build :thumbsup2: 

It looks like the front cowl goes on ok as long as the engine is left out?

Lovely brush painting!

:popcorn: 

All best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

It's coming along quite well!  I also hate painting yellow and white; my least favorite colors!  Still, anxious to see the camo scheme go on. 

And Tony, thanks for the movie link. I am watching it now. Lots better than the one I watched last night, "P-51 Dragon Fighter". 

• Like 2

On 2017-5-29 at 10:43 PM, TonyTiger66 said:

Nice modelling Greg :)!

I just caught up with this; a great read and thread.

You made a nice job of the interior and I like the approach of putting the top wings on first: no gaps :thumbsup2: !

I hope to do one of his machines too; I've had some health issues delaying other builds, so I'm waiting to see if I might be able to achieve it in time (I think so).

My subject will be a HA-1109-K as seen in the movie; used to represent 'real' aircraft like yours. I'm having problems finding a 'Yellow 14' number, but otherwise the Amodel (very much short run) kit is at the ready :).

I'm in Oz, sometimes YouTube has different licences, but the movie is public domain; here it is (I love this movie):

Meanwhile it's really great watching your build :thumbsup2: 

It looks like the front cowl goes on ok as long as the engine is left out?

Lovely brush painting!

:popcorn: 

All best regards

TonyT

Thanks Tony,

I have some progress pics to post from the weekend if I can persuade the laptop to play ball.

Cheers 

Greg

• Like 1

Heres last weeks progress...

IMG_2491_zpskbhu5mhp.jpg

IMG_2492_zpsozfyzz2n.jpg

IMG_2493_zpsss2dc9cb.jpg

Main camo is on and i have started some panel line washes. Did a little detailing on the undercart with brake lines, and i am currently getting the tyres painted before arraching the landing gear. 

Going quite well so far. I have added the transfers which are the kits own and they have bedded down really well. I will do more photos and and another update tomorrow.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers

Greg  :D

• Like 7

1 hour ago, BerndM said:

Good progress mate, the paint job looks fine and the added brake lines are a nice touch.

Cheers Bernd,

Got some more done today. It will definitely be finished this time next week.

:party:

All the best

Greg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SimonT said:

That looks good, like your sand colour.

Thanks Simon,

It's Hannant's Xtracylics Rlm 79 sandgelb. It has a glossy finish soon will be pulling it down with a Matt coat later.

Cheers

Greg

• Like 1