8 hours ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

Do you remember seeing these aircraft? If you do, you're a very lucky man!!

*smug*  Have flown on them when I was a small Lurker; Malaya (as was then) and back via every henhouse, kennel and out-house.

FWIW - There's one parked up at Kemble a couple of miles S. of Cirencester.  You can see it from the Ciren to Tetbury road.

Edited by TheLurker
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

Do you remember seeing these aircraft? If you do, you're a very lucky man!!

Absolutely. They were resident at Gatwick in the early 1970s, along with Tradewinds CL44s. Then we had Monarch Britts in service too, plus Transvalair CL44s, a number of Argentine CL44s, other odd CC106s/CL44s and Britts. Also we had regular RAF Brits on circuit training.

Martin

Excellent job there of an old friend from years ago. I think and hope Roden may have sold shed loads of this classic aircraft. Victor Fox is on my to do list at the moment but after a two week posting to Scotland for some r&r I hope to post sister ship Charlie Fox of Invicta international when I get back. I am very pleased that Ray has supported this kit with some fantastic options and it hopefully will encourage a Viscount or Vanguard from Roden. I have six in my stash at the moment, with four underway plus a F resin for company. By the way all, don't forget to narrow the track on the front main wheels. 

52 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Absolutely. They were resident at Gatwick in the early 1970s, along with Tradewinds CL44s. Then we had Monarch Britts in service too, plus Transvalair CL44s, a number of Argentine CL44s, other odd CC106s/CL44s and Britts. Also we had regular RAF Brits on circuit training.

Martin

Lucky you!! That's an era I'd love to have lived in (not saying you're old, but I was a little pinky coffeeboat then and even though I did live in it, I was in single figures) and seeing all those props and early jets.

Jeff

15 minutes ago, Britman said:

Excellent job there of an old friend from years ago. I think and hope Roden may have sold shed loads of this classic aircraft. Victor Fox is on my to do list at the moment but after a two week posting to Scotland for some r&r I hope to post sister ship Charlie Fox of Invicta international when I get back. I am very pleased that Ray has supported this kit with some fantastic options and it hopefully will encourage a Viscount or Vanguard from Roden. I have six in my stash at the moment, with four underway plus a F resin for company. By the way all, don't forget to narrow the track on the front main wheels. 

Well, in an effort to encourage Roden to release more 1/144 airliners, I've bough quite a few Britannias, Carvairs, DC-3 and even the B720 (inspite of all the *expert* opinion claiming it's a pile of s**t). I have a few of the new VC-10 but the one I started has gone back into the box - I wasn't overly impressed with it, with either moulding quality issues or a few shape problems I'm still deciding on whether it's me not knowing the subject better. 

A new Roden Viscount would be very welcome and I'd be over the moon if a Vanguard appeared too. I'll even splash out an buy their forthcoming C-5 Galaxy.

With the Britannia nose wheels, as I mentioned in the opening ramble to this, the nose wheel axle is a pin compared to the chasm of the location recess on both wheels. So when I've attached the wheels, both have been right up against the nose leg. 

I'm looking forward to seeing your fleet posted soon!

Jeff

• Like 1

Hi There,

Great model. First class representation. No dust to be seen!

Also the short explanation was very much appreciated. That most have been heaven for the crew. No regular roster.

These days the main stream pilot has a schedule, that is almost the same as a London bus driver. Only the salary is different.

Although I still believe, that the bus driver has a higher risk of getting into trouble on the road.

Regards, Dirk / The Netherlands.

• Like 1

Thank you all very much for your kind words. 

Martin those photos are simply brilliant, I'd love to have lived around Gatwick at that time.

Dirk (Orion) whilst reading about the history of some airlines from that era, there appears to have been weeks between flights with the aircraft parked up waiting their next venture. Imagine that today!! Mind you back then, some early companies used aircraft like the Bristol Freighter and Vickers Viking to fly long distance flights (UK to South Africa or Far East) - imagine that!! I can just about cope with 8 hours flying from A to B.

Jeff 

• Like 1

Wow, at the rate you keep rolling out "Brits" there won't be many liveries left soon!

I was thinking of an RAF version for the next Made in Britain GB but don't know if I can match this standard.

This has been one of my favourite aircraft since my Dad worked for Bristol at Bournemouth in the 50s - one night he came home with a promotional (96th? Scale) model which had pride of place in my room for many years.

11 minutes ago, mitchem said:

Cracking job Jeff.

:thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

I'm scared that these Britannia builds are going to lead me into temptation !

mike

Temptation? Well, I'll forgive you if you are. 

39 minutes ago, Widow 65 said:

Hi Jeff,

Another stunning model bro, where do you find the time?

Hope all is well with you, will have to get together soon, it's been too long!!

Thanks Nick,

I can always find the time to stick something together. I've got loads on the go, some nearly finished, others waiting for a bit of enthusiasm to restart them.

Yes indeed it's been much too long!!

Jeff