Hello modellers,

Here is my recently finished Roden 1/144 Bristol Britannia in the markings of British cargo airline IAS Cargo Airlines.

Formed in the mid-60s to provide support to African Safari Airlines operations into Gatwick and Europe, International Aviation Services (IAS) later purchased their own Britannia in 1971 whenever ASA ended their services. Initially, this aircraft was flown on behalf of African International Airways mainly on cargo flights with loads of meat and machinery. However, in June 1972 IAS took charge of this aircraft and began flying to more points in Africa and the Middle and Far East as well as venturing across the Atlantic to North and South America.

By 1975, the airline was operating to many points across the globe, in support of oil drilling, movement of cattle, machinery and just about anything that could fit into their fleet of Britannias, which now numbered five. They also introduced the DC-8 onto the British civil register and had offices in Nairobi, Lagos and Lusaka as well as an office in Sharjah.

Expansion continued throughout the 70s, with more and more contracts working their Britannias and DC-8s hard.

Merging with Trans Meridian Air Cargo in August 1979 (becoming British Cargo Airlines), they remained in operation until folding in 1980.

Rodens nice little model of the Britannia is my current "favourite" kit!! It goes together relatively painlessly and captures the shape and form of the aircraft pretty well. There are a few areas that can be improved such as adding the servo tab actuators on the flying surfaces (these can be seen in close up pictures of the aircraft and are spaced along the servo tabs on the wings, elevators and rudder), the props can be refined a bit and for some reason the nose wheel axle is smaller than the hole on the nose wheels themselves.

The model was primed with AK Interactive grey primer before spraying Tamiya XF-2 matt white, then overcoated with three (or four, can't remember) coats of Johnson Kleer. The underside is AK Interactive xtreme metal aluminium. Sprayed over the rough primer was not a success (and it wasn't the last time I did it so I've no idea why I did it again), but the surface finish of Rodens plastic does deserve a bit of smoothing out before painting commences. The texture of the engine nacelles in particular I find a bit coarse. The model was then given another coat of Kleer after decalling had finished.

The decals are from 26decals and behaved nicely. Application of heat in the form of a tissue dampened with hot water helps to soften the tail decal allowing it to sink into the rudder/ fin joint. Optional registrations for two aircraft are provided - I chose G-AOVF (delivered December 1972). Careful study of photographs reveals that at various times, the titles were simply IAS or the full IAS Cargo Airlines.

Also, study of your chosen Britannia is a good idea, as there are little details that varied between aircraft such as the upper navigation light not always on the fin and the position of antennae changed.

Anyway, enough chit-chat, here's some pictures. Please ignore the weedy grass - I blame the gardener!!

20170504_125323.jpg

20170504_125332.jpg

20170504_125352.jpg

20170504_125400.jpg

20170504_125607.jpg

20170504_125553.jpg

The model has had a little bit of weathering added, but it doesn't show up too well.

Comments, criticisms or advice all gratefully received!!!

Jeff 

• Like 31

10 minutes ago, Paul J said:

Impressive.  I'm quite tempted to do a Brit in either BCAL or RAF But I think the former will win.  

Thank you.

BCal all the time!! It's a great colour scheme.

5 minutes ago, janneman36 said:

That looks impressive:D

Thank you. It's not a bad model at all. Decent fit, pretty good outline and numerous colour schemes available. 

Everyone should try one!!

Splendid work Jeff.:clap2:  It great to see so many airliners in RFI just now.

As you say, it's a really nice kit (apart from some fit issues round the engines and props) and you've certainly done it justice.  We really owe Ray for producing decals for so many attractive schemes but the choice isn't easy!  I still have plans to do a -100 conversion but pressure of other stuff means that won't happen any time soon.

Thank you Dave.

Ray has served us very well; I've recently received his Globe Air boxing of the kit. This can be crossed with the African Safari scheme (blue stripe) to make another African Safari scheme. For an aircraft that was produced in small numbers there's a heck of a lot of operators (and variations of colours) that used it. Nick Webb (classic-airlines.com) also offers a few Britannia operators. I'm still waiting for Lloyd International, Air Spain and a few -100 series decals. I may even cross to the dark side (in more ways than one...) and make a crab air version. And I've just picked up the Welsh Models CL-44 - it is a Britannia of sorts...mmmh, Trans Meridian? Tradewinds?....off to 26decals again, thanks Ray!!

Jeff 

This is gorgeous Jeff. To think you weren't going to post it!! Glad you did.

Very nice sharp demarcation between the white and natural metal.

I like this livery, it's simple but does the job. I wonder why the tailplanes are painted but not the wings. Which colour did you use for the engine banding? I think you've used a far more realistic shade, mine are too dark. 

Yes, I'll have to agree with you, everyone should try one!

Oh and where did you get your base? It's very effective.

Cheers,

Ian

BTW tell the gardener I wish we had grass as lush as yours. Our rabbits eat ours quicker than it can grow!

Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to view and or comment.

Ian the tail planes were something I spotted when studying pictures of the aircraft I was going to build and I painted it Xtracrylix light gull grey. On some Britannia aircraft there is a grey painted area under the rear fuselage and with this actual aircraft the grey is applied to both sides of the tail planes as can be seen in these couple of piccies ( this is the other option on the decal sheet and the one I was going to originally make) - this photo is used purely to illustrate the grey painted tail planes,  if it's in violation of any rules then I'll change it to a link instead...look at all that lovely weathering on the wings and engines, lovely! Also on the rudder the five servo tab actuators can be seen; these are what I was talking about in my opening post and something missing from the kit. Easy enough to add from plastic rod. I didn't add them here but did with the Transglobe Brit that will make an appearance tomorrow.

G-AOVS Bristol Britannia IAS Cargo

and this one of the actual aircraft 

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1225732

The engine bands were a rough and ready mix of Revell Aqua black, steel and mud brown and the base is a Coastal Kits 1/144 airport base I bought at Telford last year.

I'll pass on your admiration of my grass to "the gardener" - I'm sure he'll be pleased to hear his total cack-handed-ness with all things horticultural isn't going unnoticed - today he cut down thick branch of an overhanging tree and now the tree looks very lopsided. Glad I don't pay him!!!

Jeff 

20170504_125756.jpg

Edited by pinky coffeeboat
  • Like 4

That Transglobe one looks nice, looking forward to tomorrow!

Thanks for pointing out the servo tab actuators. I totally missed that on my British Eagle Brit but will definitely add them to my next one.

Jeff you need to get your hairdryer out for some action shots!

Ian

Edited by Turbofan

2 minutes ago, Turbofan said:

Jeff you need to get your hairdryer out for some action shots!

Ian

Not on this site if you don't mind Ian.

There are plenty of others that cater for that sort of thing so I'm told.  :tease:

Chris.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Beautiful Brit!! Lovely finish, & I really like the exhaust staining on the tailplanes! Afraid mine is definitely going to be a Crab Air one....:P

Top job! :thumbsup:

Keith

Thank you and "booo" to your definite choice of crab scare!!

• Like 1

Lovely job and a great british classic,Superb!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Cheers Michael.                                                                              

8 minutes ago, stringbag said:

There are plenty of others that cater for that sort of thing so I'm told.  :tease:

:rofl: 

I wouldn't know Chris I spend too much time making models. :whistle:

Edited by Turbofan