Neil1963

Neil1963

Hi everyone. 

I live in Birmingham. 

And I model what ever takes my fancy.

However a the minute I'm halfway through a spad bi-plane. 

Which brings onto my problem  I'm colour blind with makes painting interesting. 

I was talking to an old guy where I used to work ( maintenance in a care home )and he was in bomber command in Lancasters .

I told him about my problem when painting aircraft (I was doing a model of his own bomber easy enough as he'd got photos everywhere).he told me not to worry too much  as planes were painted any shade they could get and when they were patched up they were also different colours which means mine may be a different shade but in real life they were all different shades.

• Like 1

Welcome Neil, it's your models so go for what you like but painting charts and colour codes may help you if you want to get as close as possible to the real thing, anyhow glad you made it here and looking forward to seeing some of your work.:yes:

Speaking as a colour blind modeller, trust the labels on the jars and bottles and you won't go too far wrong - just don't try to colour match by eye.Welcome to Britmodeller.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Neil1963 said:

planes were painted any shade they could get and when they were patched up they were also different colours which means mine may be a different shade but in real life they were all different shades.

Thank you thank you thank you. I've often thought this and as such, I think some modellers get too stressed about getting the exact shade and some will give you a hard time if they don't approve of the colour you've used. :clap:

Welcome to BM Neil from just down the road (ish) and that's a damn fine year '63' – that's my vintage.

On 05/05/2017 at 12:17, Gorbygould said:

Thank you thank you thank you. I've often thought this and as such, I think some modellers get too stressed about getting the exact shade and some will give you a hard time if they don't approve of the colour you've used. :clap:

Welcome to BM Neil from just down the road (ish) and that's a damn fine year '63' – that's my vintage.

Gorby, I agree with you wholeheartedly, some people do stress too much for something that is supposed to de-stress us! 63 might be a vintage, but 62 was a classic! 😂 

Welcome Neil, hope you enjoy this zoo/thesaurus/encyclopaedia/comedy show, only been here a few weeks and have learned a heck of a lot about modelling and a whole heap of other subjects too!

Ian

• Like 1