What's With The Red & White Nuts???

BIG X

My experience was painted in the UK and sometimes in Germany. My Dad and Uncles maintain they were always done WW2 up to 1958 when the last left.  Photos seem to back this up not many missing. When I started lorry driving the old hands used to tell horror stories like yours rayprit, it was them that told me the standing in the centre trick but, not I add in connection with split rims specifically. I've had two HGV tyres blow on me no injuries except to my ears either time and I was in the centre. Interesting that they were both retreads. I've never had those on any vehicle I owned.

16 minutes ago, SleeperService said:

My experience was painted in the UK and sometimes in Germany. My Dad and Uncles maintain they were always done WW2 up to 1958 when the last left.  Photos seem to back this up not many missing. When I started lorry driving the old hands used to tell horror stories like yours rayprit, it was them that told me the standing in the centre trick but, not I add in connection with split rims specifically. I've had two HGV tyres blow on me no injuries except to my ears either time and I was in the centre. Interesting that they were both retreads. I've never had those on any vehicle I owned.

Interesting you say that about "no injuries except to my ears".

Last week, Swimbo and I were driving up the M5 and passing an article , both of us doing around 60  - 70, as we began passing the rear wheels (driver's side), one blew, and inside our car it sounded like a bomb had gone off.

Fortunately the driver kept control, and no bits of flying rubber hit our car, and I managed to keep going straight, but I had no idea a lorry tyre would blow that loudly.

Edited by Whofan
Spelling

1 minute ago, Whofan said:

Interesting you say that about "no injuries except to my ears".

Last week, Swindon and I were driving up the M5 and passing an article , both of us doing around 60  - 70, as we began passing the rear wheels (driver's side), one blew, and inside our car it sounded like a bomb had gone off.

Fortunately the driver kept control, and no bits of flying rubber hit our car, and I managed to keep going straight, but I had no idea a lorry tyre would blow that loudly.

I used to earn a crust changing those tyres by the motorway. There's about 120psi in them hence the noise. Standing in the middle it's not as loud presumably because it comes at you all round. Glad you were OK though there have been some nasty accidents as a result of that.

12 minutes ago, SleeperService said:

I used to earn a crust changing those tyres by the motorway. There's about 120psi in them hence the noise. Standing in the middle it's not as loud presumably because it comes at you all round. Glad you were OK though there have been some nasty accidents as a result of that.

That's about 5 times the pressure in most car tyres, isn't it? To be honest, so we're we!

• Like 1

Blimey ,this thread just came alive again. Some good stories/experiences. UXBs is what they are, stored energy waiting for release.

BTW we've always caged Aircraft tyres in the bays but not on the Aircraft (It wont fit!)..Its in the back of your mind though. Hope this isn't repeat info but removed from the kite for bay work ,pressure is dropped to around 50 PSI. We're pumping on the pan 165-185 PSI, no tyre cage as I said.

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 1